The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:48 am 

So i recently got a new interest for warships and model building as my grandfather passed away and left a ton of unbuilt ships after him.
One of his main interests was Bismarck, and i have a 1/200 scale with all the additional kits for it, but before i start building it i thought i would do some training on the 1/350 Tamiya kit, and try to find the perfect colors etc that is accurate, but still satisfying to look at.

For the colors so far:
I Had some of the white ensign colors available at hand and surely a 100 different humbrol colors.
The red color for the hull that was advised in the kit was humbrol 60, which made the ship look like a 5 year old had painted it (toyship red),
i then used the Schiffsbodenfarbe III Rot 5 from white ensign, but this in my opnion was way to brown, so i ended up mixing the colors until i found a result that i liked
The most accurate color i could find on this was RAL 8013, but im not to sure that this is what i ended up with.
I Will upload pictures of all this later.

Any comments or feedback is more than welcome! Even though much of the information is available online it is nice to discuss and share opinions!
I will keep this thread updated with my progress on the ship and the information that i collected/found during my build :).

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:00 am 

Here is a Picture of the hull so far, the red will need some adjustments (the dark grey to).
As for the gray bits i was unsure,.
I used the Dunkelgrau 2 (KM 06) from white ensign models. This i have been told on this forum is the closest to accurate i will get,
and when looking at pictures it does look quite close to the real deal, but compared to hundreds of bismarck builds online, this is way to dark, please give me your opinions on this!

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:59 pm 

Weeman, my condolence on the passing of your grandfather. I would imagine that he would be quite happy that you are working on his stash of model ships.

I think you are doing the right thing by working on the 1/350 scale of the Bismark before working on the 1/200 scale.

You have to ask yourself what you want on the 1/200 scale? Wooden deck, photo etch, some scratch building? I would probably do a few more ships on the 1/350 scale as practice (like adding PE and wooden deck) before working on the 1/200 scale (the 1/200 scale and parts aren't cheap).

There are a lot of resources online, and one thing you need to understand is to check the references as much as you can. Just because the instruction book says it should look like this, pictures and graphics from other sites may paint a different picture. I encountered that with my build on the USS Missouri, the camouflage instructions were not correct so I had to look it up and go on my best judgment. Check out this website regarding the Bismark:

https://www.bismarck-class.dk/paint_sch ... ction.html

It looks like you are hand painting the ship (I could be wrong), but i would try using an airbrush unit. If you don't have that, maybe try using spray paint cans (don't spray too close). That's what I did with my Missouri build. Just get a lot of masking tape

Your bow is looking good, but I think the line on the dark grey should be a little more softer, rounder edge and not such a hard straight edge. It's suppose to represent a "false bow" if I remember reading about the Bismark, so your edge should have the same angle as the actual bow.

Keep up the good work, and take your time. I look forward to your progress! :thumbs_up_1:

Current Build
USS Oregon
USS Iowa (mothballed)

Planned builds
USS Wisconsin
USS New Jersey
USS Alaska

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:13 am 

You do your grandfather an honour, Weeman. I go with the things said above. You can find my own experiences with an older, smaller model of Bismarck on this forum, I tried to add some tips with each update.

http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=154912

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:03 am 

itchygroin wrote:
Weeman, my condolence on the passing of your grandfather. I would imagine that he would be quite happy that you are working on his stash of model ships.

I think you are doing the right thing by working on the 1/350 scale of the Bismark before working on the 1/200 scale.

You have to ask yourself what you want on the 1/200 scale? Wooden deck, photo etch, some scratch building? I would probably do a few more ships on the 1/350 scale as practice (like adding PE and wooden deck) before working on the 1/200 scale (the 1/200 scale and parts aren't cheap).

There are a lot of resources online, and one thing you need to understand is to check the references as much as you can. Just because the instruction book says it should look like this, pictures and graphics from other sites may paint a different picture. I encountered that with my build on the USS Missouri, the camouflage instructions were not correct so I had to look it up and go on my best judgment. Check out this website regarding the Bismark:

https://www.bismarck-class.dk/paint_sch ... ction.html

It looks like you are hand painting the ship (I could be wrong), but i would try using an airbrush unit. If you don't have that, maybe try using spray paint cans (don't spray too close). That's what I did with my Missouri build. Just get a lot of masking tape

Your bow is looking good, but I think the line on the dark grey should be a little more softer, rounder edge and not such a hard straight edge. It's suppose to represent a "false bow" if I remember reading about the Bismark, so your edge should have the same angle as the actual bow.

Keep up the good work, and take your time. I look forward to your progress! :thumbs_up_1:

Quote:
Thank you for your kind words sir!:)
For the 1/200 scale, wooden deck is a given yes in my opinion as i have the MK1 deck for it, so im assuming that that is what my grandfather was going for.
Then i also have all the photo etch for it as well, which i also have for the 350, but i do not think i will be using it as i want this to look like a real ship, but i may use it on some parts, well se about it.
And yes, i am using a brush for now as i havn't been able to buy a airbrush yet, and also i got two kids at the age of 2 and 3, so most of the building occurs at late nights :D but i have been looking at a beginners kit from revell that i might buy.

As for the bow, yes, i realised that one as soon as i was done haha! :smallsmile:

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:10 am 

StevenVD wrote:
You do your grandfather an honour, Weeman. I go with the things said above. You can find my own experiences with an older, smaller model of Bismarck on this forum, I tried to add some tips with each update.

http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=154912

Quote:
Thank you! :)
That is one beautiful build! I will probably look a lot at that as i progress through my build! :D

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:48 pm 

Thanks, Weeman. I haven't built anything 1/200 yet, I think you'll do just fine.

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:22 pm 

If you're more comfortable with brush painting, then by all means proceed that way. You'd be surprised how good a paint job you can achieve with brushes, without having to practically go back to square one to learn how to airbrush. I've got experience with both, and prefer one or the other for certain tasks—ship models being one of the areas I prefer to use "regular" brushes.

IMHO airplanes, particularly natural metal schemes, seem to benefit the most from airbrushing.

On the ways:
1/200 Trumpeter HMS Nelson
1/700 Tamiya USS Yorktown CV-5

In the stash:
1/35 Italiari PT-109
1/35 Tamiya "Pibber" Patrol Boat
1/350 Trumpeter USS Yorktown CV-10

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:10 pm 

Goodwood wrote:
If you're more comfortable with brush painting, then by all means proceed that way. You'd be surprised how good a paint job you can achieve with brushes, without having to practically go back to square one to learn how to airbrush. I've got experience with both, and prefer one or the other for certain tasks—ship models being one of the areas I prefer to use "regular" brushes.

IMHO airplanes, particularly natural metal schemes, seem to benefit the most from airbrushing.

Quote:
Thank you for your input! Yes, i did have a thought at first that i would use brush and then wet sand if i needed.
Anyways i now found two cans labeled "Humbrol spray gun power unit", so my guess is that all i need for this would be the air brush itself and no compressor! I guess i will try to use it to see if i should invest in a real airbrush unit :D

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:56 am 

Time for an update!

So the past days i have done some building and painting along with my research of the ship!
Let me also note that before i got these ships i knew nothing about the ships, and nothing about model building.
During the past days i have learnt that i definitly will use airbrush for the 1/200 to avoid any brushstrokes etc,
i did also learn that colorcoats colors are not at all like humbrol when it comes to brush painting as Humbrol smoothens out during
the period it dries, which colorcoats doesn't. I Found this to become better by adding thinner to the paint, but still not good enough!

As i am planning to build a 1/200 scale i decided that the 1/350 will look different, so the paint will be as it looked during operation Rhine.
I Chose this because the paint job will be way easier without the stripes on the superstructure, and also because it would be nice to have the 350 and 200
to look different (1/200 will have stripes).
I noticed that the main guns painting is wrong in this picture, and that the sides on the guns shouldnt be dark grey.
This look of the ship also means that i would have to remove the 4 boats on the side of the ship as these are not seen on rhine.

Anyways, on to my building! :D

The past days i have started with the bridge and some other small parts,

A Lot of online reading to find tips and tricks, this also lead me to using putty to make a even surface between the parts!

Some masking and painting of the guns :)
Ï Also painted the deck sides grey this weekend, the color used for this (And everything else except the hull is Hellgrau 50)

Slowly it is all starting to take shape, i will however have to fix some areas of the paint a bit as i am not entirely happy with the result.
I Also used a razor blade and sanding paper to make the ladders and rivets on the guns a bit more visible (These seemed to hide in the paint before).

That is is for now! :) Hopefully i will get some time to keep on building tonight!

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:14 pm 

Weeman, I suppose that you will not be upgrading the smaller kit, just using it for preparation for the larger one. I see you're learning to use some important tools like putty and masking tape, which is very well. I think the 1/200 kit contains some photo etch, so it would be interesting if you would incorporate a few parts in the smaller model too. Then you would be prepared for some differences in attachment and painting. A trick for masking when you work with brushes: prepare the masked surface with a fine layer of the base paint. Painting with brushes leads to the tape being moistened more than with airbrush, so every crevice will be filled up. If you prepare with the base paint first, other colors coming next will not show up under the tape bleeding through any crevices . I expect some additional detail must be added to the sides, so maybe wait to paint the different stages of the upper structure until they will be ready to fix and be harder to reach.

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:09 pm 

StevenVD wrote:
Weeman, I suppose that you will not be upgrading the smaller kit, just using it for preparation for the larger one. I see you're learning to use some important tools like putty and masking tape, which is very well. I think the 1/200 kit contains some photo etch, so it would be interesting if you would incorporate a few parts in the smaller model too. Then you would be prepared for some differences in attachment and painting. A trick for masking when you work with brushes: prepare the masked surface with a fine layer of the base paint. Painting with brushes leads to the tape being moistened more than with airbrush, so every crevice will be filled up. If you prepare with the base paint first, other colors coming next will not show up under the tape bleeding through any crevices . I expect some additional detail must be added to the sides, so maybe wait to paint the different stages of the upper structure until they will be ready to fix and be harder to reach.

Quote:
Yes, this is just for practice and learning as well as get some kind of grip of do's and don't.
I Do found detail kits from sovereign hobbies for both bismarck and tirpitz (Full photo etch kits) so i might use some of the pieces here and there just to get a grip of it.
I Have realized that maybe this ship wont be so much about being accurate, or full detal etc, and that i might end up with a non accurate ship as i instead have focused on learning. And thank you for the pointer! I Will try it in the future! :D If you by the last line mean that i should paint the parts before i glue them that is what i am doing, it seems like it woule be awfully complicated to first buiild and then paint after.

This is my progress so far from tonight:D
As you could see here it is starting to look a lot more nice! I Know that some people dont like wooden decks, but i really think they give a nice touch to the build!
Although, they where way more tricky to fit than i thought they would be as they easily break.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:20 am 

What I meant, is that you best leave things unpainted until a subassembly (for example the bridge with both those walkways extending sideways that are now still missing) is ready to assemble to the model. If you would be using that photo etch set, for example, it would probably contain a large amount of hatch covers, life buoys, paravane particles and replacement ladders. It would be hard to add these on a painted superstructure without damaging the paint layer, and you would have to paint them and the glue stains they cause afterwards, adding unnecessary paint to the surface. What you should paint first, is every piece of superstructure or deck belongings that will be near and above your wooden deck, before you install it. But it looks like you thought about that, from that last picture. A difficulty in this model is that the deck is divided in three sections. Maybe these have to be connected before you add the wooden deck, so the seams can't deform the planking.

That wooden deck looks nice, I'm also just going to install one on my carrier.

(a tip for your topic: a quote is only needed if you want to react on a certain part of my reply, or if somebody else reacted after it. You can't quote things that weren't said before, like your own answer, that should be just plain text).

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:21 am 

Time for an update!

So the past days i have been working on the bridge and main guns,
i also decided to explore the photo etch part of the build to learn more on how to do it as i have never done something like it.
I Also started to put the wooden deck in place, this also lead me to keeping the life boats on the side as the wooden deck had holes for these and í dont feel like changing this for now.
Anyways on to the pictures! (Due to a iphone being dropped this weekend i lost a lot of pictures that where taken during the build, but here is the end result so far!)

Photo etch was way more tricky than i expected it to be, but i got quite satisfied with the end result with both the antennas and the railing.

A Cloesup, as im really happy with the end result of the antenna!

I Also added some of the etch to the main guns, and decided to put ladders on them instead of having the paint removed to make it more visible as before.

How it looks right now, the bridge is built in five different sections atm, and i haven't glued those together yet so i will be able to tear it apart for editing or building later.
You may also notice that i have mixed wooden deck, color and etch as some of the etch part didnt fit, and i also wanted to experience the difference.

Anyways that is it for now, anny comments or feedback are as usual more than welcome! :smallsmile:

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:24 am 

StevenVD wrote:
What I meant, is that you best leave things unpainted until a subassembly (for example the bridge with both those walkways extending sideways that are now still missing) is ready to assemble to the model. If you would be using that photo etch set, for example, it would probably contain a large amount of hatch covers, life ....

Thank you Steven! :)
Yes, as seen in the pictures i am building everything in smaller sections (the bridge is splitted into five sections).
As for the wooden deck, i have now glued all three sections together so that i could fit it. :smallsmile:

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:34 pm 

The photo etch looks cool, it isn't bent up like some other builds I saw. It is a good decision to examinate it, because on a battleship, you're going to want to add at least some PE railing. On the first picture, the bridge railing has the thickest line upwards; take care to put this side downwards for the next railing sections, because this is the glue side. Also clean up the kit parts that have cylindrical outcroppings, like those FuMos where you added the antennas. The seam line is still visible, this can still be remedied with a sharp knife tip. There are some attachemnts to the telemeters that are omitted on the model for build simplicity. There was a set of rails along the telemeter tube, which is maybe a bit too much yet on the small model, though I added this using thin wire:

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:43 pm 

Time for an update!
I have not been able to build as much as i wanted to the past week as the vacation now is over.
The past two weeks i have been focusing on details, which took more time than i thought it would, especially since i
really decided that i want the photo etch to look good in all possible ways.
One thing that i have found useful, especially since the tamiya kit doesnt have any railings or stairs, is to look at the papers for the 1/200 trumpeter as these are way more in detail.
Right now i am working on the ship boats, funnel, rear shed and the rear bridge, but i will wait with the pictures for this until i have
been achieving something on them!

Some pictures for now :)
Most of the pictures show what has happened the past two weeks and not so much of the progress to get there, i will be better on this in the future!

The bridge has got some railings and a ladder, as you can see in this pictures, i totally F-ed up and put the railings the whole way, and forgot that the firing equipment
is in the rear (Had to re-do the rear end after this which wasn't fun as i pretty much ruined all railings)

The upper part of the tower. I have somehow ended up mixing paint, etch and wooden deck. The reason for this is partly because the deck photo etch didnt fit at all, but also because i wanted to learn to work with the different styles.

The rear bridge is starting to take shape. As the tamiya kits doesn't contain any railings or ladders i did a miss here as well. When i was looking at the papers for my 1/200 trumpeter i discovered that there is actually supposed to be stairs in the middle of that, so i may/may not correct that.

The sides of the bridge, as you could see here i have corrected my issue with the railings :) I did however notice the the part that is sticking out (Two rounded shapes in the mid section) people put the railing different. I Went for what i thought was how it is supposed to be!

The top of the tower. I Have barely noticed the shape of the handrails on it until recently when i took this closeup picture, but all in all, really satisfied with the antennas being straight!

The complete assembly of the tower (For now).

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:48 pm 

StevenVD wrote:
The photo etch looks cool, it isn't bent up like some other builds I saw.

Thank you Steven! I have put some effort in making the railings straight, i do however have to fine-tune these to get them even better! I Did not notice the seams on the antenna at first, thanks for mentioning that, i was more careful with the details on the rear one after your comment! :smallsmile: That looks really good! I Will probably not change that on this build as i already put the antennas and stuff there and i am afraid of ruining it haha, but i will definitly look closer in to that for my 1/200 :cool_1: :smallsmile:

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:04 pm 

Looking good! You're doing a much better job with the PE then I did when I first did it. I added the PE AFTER I finished my build. :whistle:

Current Build
USS Oregon
USS Iowa (mothballed)

Planned builds
USS Wisconsin
USS New Jersey
USS Alaska

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:02 pm 

looks pretty good so far. thumbs up

Report this post