The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 1/700 HMS Kelly
PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:34 am 

Thank you guys the help again!

I glued and primed some really tiny rocks to get a stone wall effect at the hill and dock part. To make grass in this scale I used AK-s Asphalt medium with different amount of water dilution on different sites. Kostas Katseas has a beautiful Scapa Flow diorama in 1/700 and I try to make the same surface effect as he's.
http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery ... /index.htm
I have some 1/90-ish size plastic trees basically made for train modelling. I ruined and tore the unluckiest one and then added small chunks of it as tussocks onto the meadow and the bigger ones were glued next to the road as bushes. Maybe the tussoks will be eleminated, not sure jet. I used the same to the rocks on the shore as waterfront vegetation,

The seabase and the rocks were primed with MrSurfacer 500 by hand to even the different colour of the rocks. I don't really like the smooth rocks between the sharp ones but hope they will look natural after paint. If not, I'm going to cover it with something... I think I will add more, smaller rocks to the "empty" spaces.

And the ship.

I put on some ladders, inclination ladders, the bollards - extremely good quality by the way -, liferafts, deep charges, loading arms for the, the guard rails and the halyjard on the searchlight tower. The rafts have PE paddles but they were so tiny I couldn't glue them properly. But tried at least. I also added the anchor chains on the deck aswell.

Some of the details are still missing like the front and aft halyjards, the mast, a flag the rigging and some awning canopy. First of all I want to make more progress on the base first.

Cheers

Áron

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:27 am 

I have made some progress on the Ship.

I put two AA guns and two searchlight on the bridge. I also made the funnel cap that I had lost weeks ago.

As you could see on the pictures I also made the rigging,,, 4 hours and a proper headache, but I did not broke a single part! First I had glued on the halyjards made of sprue, after that I continued with the other - black - rigging.

In the small pauses I painted the ship's boats and also upgrade some old boat to the diorama.

Tonns of PE parts left on the sprues, I'm gonna check if I miss some important part but I think I'm 98% done with Kelly.
Cheers

Áron

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:48 am 

I found my old 1/700 sailors, look at them!

Good old memories came back as I had tried to paint those...

Since the last update I painted the left upper part with different shades of green so it looks like a small hill now. I'm satisfied with it.

I painted the rocks with a darker grey just over the waterline indicate them as wet. I also airbrsuhed green on there as moss.

I spent long hours on the houses. I used thin plastic sheet and CA glue. Mr. Surfacer 500 was painted on the small in seam lines. For the doors and different windows I uesd my spare PE from different old kits. I want to put several houses on the waterline rocks, some on the right upper corner, a boathouse on the left and a bigger mansion in the middle.

Boathouse position, not this actual house, just for presentation.

The mansion.

On the right place.

The road will be painted with several other tan and grey colours, this is the first layer. There are a lot of cracks on the surface due to the shrinking if the CA glue. Some of them looks like real, the others will be redo.

Small bush-covered part.

The same "grass" technique was used on the mansion plot as the meadow. The whole thing painted with greens. I wanted a different shade of green on the grass to pointed out it is a lawn.

Path behing the mansion.

And here is the idea of the whole.

A lot to do. For example I really have to repaint the lifeboats on Kelly to a more reallistic colour :heh: Orange is cool but unlikely... So sad. Cheers!

Áron

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:51 pm 

Quite a sophisticated diorama, especially for that scale. Can't wait to see more progress on it, and the destroyer. :thumbs_up_1:

On the ways:
1/200 Trumpeter HMS Nelson
1/700 Tamiya USS Yorktown CV-5

In the stash:
1/35 Italiari PT-109
1/35 Tamiya "Pibber" Patrol Boat
1/350 Trumpeter USS Yorktown CV-10

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:26 am 

New post, woohoo!

Thank you for the kind words, Goodwood! Dio is on my desk, the ship is sleeping in the darkness of the shelf now.

So, I painted the small houses, some close pic of them:

And the dio with them glued on place:

It is a thing, that old nordic wooden houses has dense grass on the top, I tried to do that on the roof of the boathouse. Not satisfactory in this condition, need some wash and a proper matte warnish on it. Hope it will be better. I also want to make two wooden ramp from the boathouse extend in the water. The small shed is just, okay...ish... small.

The whole looks extremely not lifelike under the artifitial light, but it's already dark outside so I hope I can make some better shots Saturday.
Tonns of repairs needed, small gaps should be filled nex to the houses, the white pillars need to be fabricated - the ones that hold the houses over the rocks. The paint is also quite inaccurate on several walls. Then I guess how to repair the road, I want some green tussock on it etc. Fences, forecourts, small stonefence between two houses, maybe some cows or sheeps on the mansons lot, not sure. Ramps, piers, citizens, boxes oh my God so much to do!

But no work today, need to cook.

Cheers!

Áron

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:15 pm 

Usually at low tide the exposed rocks are covered with seaweed - just a suggestion.
:wave_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:51 am 

Hello drasticplastic!

On the reference photos that I used the rocks don't covered by seaweed but moss, thats why I painted them green on the underwater part. Maybe on my next project :)

I did not have the mood to repair the houses and make the abovementioned small additional works but I do have the urge to pour the water. I used two component epoxy resin made by a hungarian interior designer company. Not a modelling product but it's waaaay cheaper than AK-s resin (I also have that). The resin is UV-stable and crystal clear, and the company gave a mix ratio to hardness chart on the bottle. I used the ratio that gave the least elastic result (100/50).

I wanted to create a really dark water emphasize the steepness o the shore and the deepness of the water. I used dark blue pigments and black paint for that. I pour the resin in two sessions, the layers were approximately 3-4 mm thick. I used a thin plastic sheet to make the frame of the water.

Tried to seal the smallest gaps with general liquid glue. To prevent the epoxy bind forever to the plastic I daubbed it with olive oil.

Unfortunately the resin find it's way to escape on some microscopic gaps however I tested the system before the pour with water effectively... nothing irreversibe happened just a small leakage.

So black but it is also transparent enough.

We can see the rock underwater nicely.

Im happy with the result. The plastic sheet came off easily. During my previous dio I had forgot to oil the sheet and had a hard time to cut it off after epoxy hardening... was a good lession.

I will make small waves with 3D clear gel. Also a not-for-modelling thing thats far more cheaper than the AK product.

Kelly was broke down from the paint cup without ruining it, only one davit came off.

Looking good. There is a moderate gap between the water surface and the ship's bottom but the 3D gel will cover it nicely. I bought a new telephone with a better (better?) camera two days ago, these are the first pictures with it. The brightness is way to much, I tried to help that in my photo editor by need to practise more.

As you can see I put on the flag, some ropes and also added two covering sheets with their columns. In short, it was a terrible work but the ship looks a bit more better.

Cheers!

Áron

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:54 am 

Hello guys!

Tonns of little scratchbuilt parts were fabriacated and added to the diorama in the past week! Not all of that I have mentioned in my last post but I think it's a good day to post some pictures. Unfortunately my new phone's camera is way not as good as I wanted it to be. It's a Huawei after Iphone. I chose that instead a new Apple due to it's 40 MP back camera and a smaller with super macro mode. Somehow the difference between this and my previous 12 MP phone camera is not as big as the difference shown, the pictures are bigger, but the quality is worse. More cloudy, only a small part is clear even if I change the f ratio manually. The colours are terrible as well. Lots of afterwork and I am not pleased the result anyway.

I fabricated the pillars using streched sprue.

I also made some fence between the houses. I used thin plastic card for that.

Small ladders, wooden platforms are made at the backyard of some houses. I had a lot of railings from the Kelly PE so I used them. The small port is made with the boathouse. I really like the picture of an old boathouse so I tried to do some similar construction.

After these small updates I glued the ship in place, add a lot of more details on the ground and made the waves with 3D gel medium.

I really wanted to create small waves as this port should be a bay with calm sea but with small waves caused by wind. I overdone it I guess in spite the really thin layer of the gel.

After I made the pictures I realised that one of the main barrels on the upper front turret is missing! It's near the small boat behind Kelly. Sneaky norvegians steal it... :heh:

As you can see I added the plastic figures. I made sailors and some citizens. On the ship there's a group of sailors inspecting the torpedoes and anoter grout that carrying some stuff from the motorboat.

The port scene with the fishermans and the other men happened tho be the best part of the diorama in my opinion. I made the floaters of the fishing rods. Totally out of scale but I couldn't omit it.

I put a boat in the boathouse and placed the bigger sailboat on the ground with some wooden barrels. The smaller sailer boat resting in the port with two boats.

I made fences around the manson and between the boathouse and the nearest cottage. I completed the vegetation with additional small bushes, tussocks on the hill road. Some bigger rocks were also added as seen on some norvegian pictures.

Aerial view of the diorama.
I want to add a horse and some sheeps to the diorama as I hope that will make it more lively.

The next step is to make an anti torpedo net in front of the ship. I use these picures as guide.

I already made a lot of small, barrel-shaped parts from plastic rod but I prefer the globe more. Im not sure wich I want to use. I painted the rod parts dark blue. The pictuers suggest that these were really dark, maybe black but as my water is alread black I want to use some other colour. Ultimately they should be visible on the diorama.

Thats for today!

Áron

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:47 pm 

Tiny update:

I redo the barrels, the blue shade happened to be too light. I also dry painted some wakes.

It's a bit questionable what kind of fish could go trough the torp net and will it be a catch... :heh:

Not much to do, I need to cover the sides with something and maybe done? Is it possible?
If the constant rainy november days may turn to a sunny one I could take some pictures of the ship outside.

Cheers

Áron

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:43 am 

Okay, after a small mecha sidejob I finally took some picure of the finished Kelly.

I hope all of you enjoyed the built! In the last days of 2019 I finally decided that my next build will be the Flyhawk Prince of Wales 1/700. As it is a full hull model I would like to show it - and also that will be my first ship which is not a waterlined one - during her refit after the chase of Bismark in Scotland in a drydock. That will be a quite an enormous challenge but I'm sure it will be a great fun as well.
Some research is needed now. Calling all ship fans in the topic was grown into a huge pile of information on the KGV class, my Lord I need some energy drink and fast food for that!

Happy new year for you all, folks! Be a modeller in the '20s!

Cheers

Áron

Report this post
 Post subject: 1/700 HMS Kelly
PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:01 pm 

Hello Aron,

Happy New Year! You made a very good job :thumbs_up_1: Looking forward to see your PoW

Report this post