The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:08 pm 

Hello Friends!

I've spent the past three years completely dedicated to scale-modeling. I'm definitely an amateur relative to so many of you, but I've definitely made some models that I am very proud of. I'd classify my skill level as intermediate.

There are two reasons that i am commencing with this photo-build. I have no modeling community locally and am desperately in need of company that shares my passion--I thought this would be a great way to initiate that. Secondly this is only my second 1/700 ship build and I'm looking for your sincere thoughts, advice, reactions, comments etc. Hopefully some of you will find this of interest and even better find it instructive!

I am building the Trumpeter 05767 Prinz Eugen. I'm still debating which iteration to make. I want this to be a project I can really get stuck in to. Therefore I've purchased just about every AF detail set that I was able to. This is going to be a very time consuming build and I love it.

Here are some photos of what I will be working with

ImageIMG-1021 by Devin Ermoian, on Flickr

Last edited by Timmy C on Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fixed image link

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:27 pm 

To share Flickr links on this board, on your photo's Flickr page, click the arrow on the bottom right of your photo, then the BBCode tab, then select a size option (I suggest the Large 1024 option). Then copy and paste the code into your message.

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:35 pm 

Timmy C wrote:
To share Flickr links on this board, on your photo's Flickr page, click the arrow on the bottom right of your photo, then the BBCode tab, then select a size option (I suggest the Large 1024 option). Then copy and paste the code into your message.

Thank you SO much!

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:39 pm 

Quite daunting Flyhawk PE set. As I'm thinking of building the '41 version I won't use all of the AA guns.
ImageIMG-1016 by Devin Ermoian, on Flickr

Flyhawk Brass Masts--I wan't to fully rig the ship eventually.
ImageIMG-1018 by Devin Ermoian, on Flickr

Hunter wood deck is gorgeous. The individual planks are just stunning. The deck included some PE and a brass anchor chain. I'm not sure how to replace the anchor chains, but im looking forward to the level of detail it will add.
ImageIMG-1015 by Devin Ermoian, on Flickr

One of my references. Some excellent photos and accurate color line drawings of the paint schemes throughout the war. I think I want to airbrush the Spring 1941 fitting of the Prinz Eugen. The iconic angular stripes it wore when accompanying Bismark.
ImageIMG-1022 by Devin Ermoian, on Flickr

I'm JUST getting started. I'm putting together the turrets first. More to come!

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:11 am 

It wore stripes accompanying Bismarck only to Norway. After that, like on Bismarck they were all grayed out.

I have a 1942 kit, in same phase as you, ready to build it soon. I will do Baltic version also, based on 1942 kit (a little simpler). I really like those masts and probably will get them, they seem superb. I would not use the wooden deck as it seems too thick usually but may be you have good luck integrating it. I think wood deck makes sense only if you rebuild all the small deck fixtures and add things on top of it. It will swallow up capstans etc otherwise.

Best,
P.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:19 am 

Hello

Please check this Link for evolution of Prinz Eugen.

http://www.kbismarck.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=470

I think that with your kit, 1945 version is easy, except for mounting 40 mm bofors

The 1941 version need some changes especially in fire directors, radars, mainmast and the funnel platform. There are two parts that you need scratch build, if there are not between the parts of your kit. The forward open AA directors and the protection for searchlight in the funnel.

Report this post