The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:57 pm 

Quincy wrote:
Ah, yes! The fine painting of a wooden deck has become a lost art! Yours looks better than any wood replacement ones that are on the market! :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:

Bob Pink :wave_1:

Thank you muchly, though I wouldn't go that far. I've used some wood decks in 1/700 and they look fantastic as well as saving quite a bit of time and effort in painting (althugh my method is also faily low effort too in the grand scheme of things). I seriously considered using a wood deck here, but it would have had ugly seams where it's cut to fit a 1941 Repulse superstructure. Can't really kit-bash a wood deck, not neatly anyway.

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:20 pm 

I use watercolor pencils also for wood deck. It is very easy. I follow up with clear coat. See you have same technique, cool!

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:43 am 

Bit of a longer break between updates, I haven't spent quite as much time as I would have liked working on this. I also pig-headedly pressed on with a badly misbehaving (close to running out) pot of light grey, so it took multiple coats to get an acceptable appearance, and still not great in places.

I'm including a close-up of the turrets, without the WIP compliation, mainly to share how I do blast bags. The turrets themselves are unmodified apart from scraping off the 20mm positions and drilling the barrels. Personally, I think the turrets in this Tamiya Repulse kit are the best OOB Royal Navy 15" twins you can get, and I'm a big fan of the finely molded on blast bags.

The blast bags are first painted white, then heavily dry-brushed with the same oak colour I use for the decks. Finally, some of the larger folds get a pencil line in them.

Attachment:
Turrets.jpg
Turrets.jpg [ 232.27 KiB | Viewed 1095 times ]

Despite the struggles I did get around to finishing the majority of the painting. I'm leaving this one fairly clean, though there is an almost imperceptible dry-brush of an even lighter grey than the base coat just to make corners and edges stand out a bit. I usually try to avoid ploughing ahead, completing and gluing major assemblies like this, because the ship looks finished and it's hard to motivate to then do all the tedious small parts that remain (boats, searchlights, smaller weapons etc.). I'll try to slog through these quite quickly, should be finished in a week, max two.

Attachment:
MainPainted.jpg
MainPainted.jpg [ 193.27 KiB | Viewed 1095 times ]

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:44 am 

Wow.

I'm finally starting to realize why some folks have such high regard for the pre-modernized versions of RN capital ships. :thumbs_up_1:

On the ways:
1/200 Trumpeter HMS Nelson
1/700 Tamiya USS Yorktown CV-5

In the stash:
1/35 Italiari PT-109
1/35 Tamiya "Pibber" Patrol Boat
1/350 Trumpeter USS Yorktown CV-10

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:10 pm 

Vlad wrote:
I haven't spent quite as much time as I would have liked working on this.

The modelers eternal lament...

She looks good!

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:46 am 

Funny how a week or two turns into a few days when you put your mind to it. I declare this build complete :big_grin: I'll do a completed post separately after I've had time to take some proper overall pictures. Than you all for following and your support!

For now, here's a last mini-update. Unfortunately I didn't have an appropriate photo-etched catapult so I made one from plastic spares (mountains of IJN equipment sets are good for something it seems), but I feel with the dark-light painting and the fact it's buried amidships it looks pretty good in place. I did however rescue an appropriate aircraft crane from the spares box, as well as some lovely 3D printed octuple pom-poms. I used a bit of photo-etch, mostly for the boat cradles but also a few strategically placed ladders.

Attachment:
Catapult.jpg
Catapult.jpg [ 241.53 KiB | Viewed 1014 times ]

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:00 pm 

Vlad wrote:
Funny how a week or two turns into a few days when you put your mind to it.[/attachment]

Built a Graf Spee recently in a month start to finish in full detail. You are right, if you really dont avoid the boring stuff and just get on with it, dont wait for "inspiration" - stuff really gets done.

The ship is looking nice. Cant wait to see the final reveal!

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:37 am 

Completed post here: :wave_1:

viewtopic.php?f=60&t=208321

Report this post