The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:40 am 

I am working on a 1/1250 scale 3D model of HMS Captain, the infamous masted turret ironclad of 1870. She was one of the worst maritime engineering failures of the modern age. She was a questionable design with inherently poor stability, made worse by her completing overweight and with a higher center of gravity than intended. She capsized on her third voyage with heavy loss of life. Modelling the ship in 3D really brings home how unstable the ship looked.

The 3D model is still a work in progress since I can't seem to stop fiddling with it. My plan was to print through Shapeways but I am considering farming it out to someone with a resin printer like Collapse Industries.

Attachments:
HULL04.jpg
HULL04.jpg [ 364.69 KiB | Viewed 1294 times ]
full02A.jpg
full02A.jpg [ 149.58 KiB | Viewed 1294 times ]
FULL05.jpg
FULL05.jpg [ 397.88 KiB | Viewed 1294 times ]
Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:06 pm 

That looks like really good work!! :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:

Will this remain a render 3D only?

or will this be casting or a / 3-D print...?

would it up-scale to 1/700 as a 3D print?
Intrigued!

HMS Captain....
on the face of it she should not have been unstable ( as a steam ship...)

turrets nice and low--minimal superstructure etc.

but construction errors, loss of freeboard from design
coupled with a tall full sailing rig with heavy tripod masts
a tragedy

this makes interesting and worrying reading!
how good sense was ignored...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Captain_(1869)

IPMS UK SIG (special interest group) www.finewaterline.com

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:30 pm 

I would be most interested in buying a good 3D printed of Captain in 1/700.

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:56 am 

JIM BAUMANN wrote:

Will this remain a render 3D only?

or will this be casting or a / 3-D print...?

would it up-scale to 1/700 as a 3D print?

The plan is to 3D print it - my intention was to do it through Shapeways, but I was considering paying someone with a resin 3D printer (such as Collapse Industries) to do it. I don't own my own printer at this point. This is all pretty new to me, and for this model I am intentionally pushing the limits of wall thicknesses below Shapeways guidelines - they will still print it with the stipulation that you can't get a refund if it arrives misprinted or broken. It could not be sold as it is through their marketplace.

The model certainly could be scaled up to 1/700, but without changes the detail would be a bit sparse and overscale. Thinning bulkheads, etc would not be difficult. But to really take advantage I would want to add more small details, and unfortunately references and detail photos of this ship are very limited - a common problem with ships of this era. I wouldn't rule it out, though, especially if I could find a treasure trove of detail photographs!

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:59 am 

Skip the detail stuff that we can scratch build if needed in 1/700.
If you make this in full hull Id be a buyer in resin 3D.

Dont do Shapeways. Ask modelmonkey where he prints his stuff, he can deliver very good resin prints I think. I bought some from him a while ago, very very impressive quality. I find shapeways for me is a no go, due to poor quality and silly pricing the carve for themselves.

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:06 am 
PetrOs Modellbau
PetrOs Modellbau

If you wish, drop me a PM. I can print it for you on anycubic photon printer I own.

1:350 HMS Diana 1794 - nearly released
Further kits in preparation.

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:33 am 

Very awesome work so far! Nice to see another micro-modeler. I build almost exclusively in 1/1200 and usually do my own CAD renderings as you are. I used to farm my stuff out to shapeways, but have my own entry level resin printer now. There are certainly design aspects to keep in mind depending on how you end up printing. The fine detail at shapeways is a different style printer than the resin printers. It seems popular to bash shapeways, but I have a lot of great stuff from shapeways. My biggest complaint with that route is their cost and excessive constraints on things like wall thickness.

Love building and CAD modeling WWII Capital Ships

1/1200 Battle of Hampton Roads diorama in progress
1/1200 1945 USS Pennsylvania CAD model in progress

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:38 am 

harristotle wrote:
There are certainly design aspects to keep in mind depending on how you end up printing. The fine detail at shapeways is a different style printer than the resin printers.

Can you elaborate on this? I think I am going to take PetrOs up on his offer to print in resin, are there any fundamental issues I should be concerned with? My only experience so far is with Shapeways Fine Detail acrylic. I know the resin printers use posts for rafting rather than wax. My current plan is to try and print the hull and the flying deck (hurricane deck) as 1 piece, since I have strength concerns about doing them separately. Would this be problematic in resin?

For my last project, I did violate some Shapeways guidelines, which they let you waive as long as you forfeit your right to a refund if the part shows up damaged. Obviously you can't do that if you are selling through their marketplace, but so far I am just doing personal projects with no plan of commercial sale.

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:09 pm 

JC_4130 wrote:
harristotle wrote:
There are certainly design aspects to keep in mind depending on how you end up printing. The fine detail at shapeways is a different style printer than the resin printers.

Can you elaborate on this? I think I am going to take PetrOs up on his offer to print in resin, are there any fundamental issues I should be concerned with? My only experience so far is with Shapeways Fine Detail acrylic. I know the resin printers use posts for rafting rather than wax. My current plan is to try and print the hull and the flying deck (hurricane deck) as 1 piece, since I have strength concerns about doing them separately. Would this be problematic in resin?

For my last project, I did violate some Shapeways guidelines, which they let you waive as long as you forfeit your right to a refund if the part shows up damaged. Obviously you can't do that if you are selling through their marketplace, but so far I am just doing personal projects with no plan of commercial sale.

So looking at your design, I don't think you'll have any issue printing it as 1 piece. Without seeing your file in the slicer software it looks like it actually lends itself quite well to a resin printer.

An example of where it can be problematic with resin vs shapeways is ships superstructures. A lot of designers on shapeways have these 1/1200 ships posted that are all 1 piece, that wouldn't print on a resin printer. I just finished designing and printing the Pennsylvania in 1/1200 and I printed each deck of the superstructure as individual decks. It was a pain to cut free and clean each deck, but besides allowing me to detail more in depth, it also alleviated the issue of unsupported areas that will cause a failure. This isn't as big of an issue in the bigger scales as you can add supports on the model itself, but at our tiny scales you can ruin the model trying to cut some of those supports free.

The one issue I've had with resin over shapeways from a quality standpoint is my designs that have holes designed to receive brass wires are never quite big enough as I designed them, but I think light bleed at each layer is the driver of this and just something you have to live with at this scale. I've thought about trying a black resin instead of the usual grey to reduce the light bleed somewhat, but that's TBD.

If you're on facebook send me a PM and I'll send you the link for 2 different model ship groups that may be of interest to you.

Love building and CAD modeling WWII Capital Ships

1/1200 Battle of Hampton Roads diorama in progress
1/1200 1945 USS Pennsylvania CAD model in progress

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:36 am 

Well this got dropped for quite a while but I got a friend to try printing it out. I did one print with a bunch of separate parts (possibly psyochtic) and one that is basically 1 piece (except masts). I haven't received it physically yet but we will see how it looks...

Attachments:
capt KB compressed.jpg
capt KB compressed.jpg [ 369.58 KiB | Viewed 617 times ]
Report this post