The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:53 pm 

Yet one more challenge to meet. You'll do it.

Outstanding work so far.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 9:35 am 

After Dan had said 'you will do it' I did not have any options but fabricate it! :cool_2:

So I spent my day scratchbuild it. I used the 0,5 mm styrene sheets that I used for the dry dock.
First I had to make the round-shaped elevation bulkwark - not sure if that's the proper name but I hope you understand what I want to express.
Luckily I found a handy tool to bend the sheet to the right size:

14 mm diameter circle was the perfect match for the piece.

After that I made the turret itself.

Not quite the same as the original, but fits well. The frontal plain of the turret should have meet the circle bulkwark's frontal part as there were a ladder for the sailors. Thats the main error of the turret but I choose not to make it again because the overall size and shape is okay.

Here is the turret with the barrels - made out of 2 different size of hypodemic needles. The railings were borrowed from spare parts of an older kit. Only the pompom is missing but I will glue it after painting.

Duke of York, another ship of the class parking in the Rosyth No 1 dock in 1943, here we can see the turret clearly.

Small rectangulars as the original from scratch.

I'm happy with the result. Unfortunately I have to make some repaint on the other turret as I picked off during dryfit.

Áron

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 4:05 am 

New day, new post!

I weathered the main parts.

1.: Hull

Starboard side. I used the chipping fluid technique with the white salt deposit layer. Unfortunately on the front area the white paint did not come down as I wanted. Nevermind, starboard side won't be visiblbe on the diorama due to the closeness of the dry dock wall and the extensive carpenter working area.

Port side is a bit better. You may say I overdone the effect but I like it.

Propellers are on. I used Revell 76 and 92 - copper and gold -, and weathered them with dark grey and light blueish green as patina.

2.: superstructure parts:

I used only grey pigments for the weathering. Maybe orverdone it again, I did not fixed the pigments so I can remove dome of it.

I tried to weather the older parts heavier and the newly painted parts only a little bit to blend the hard edges.

Horizontal surfaces were weathered heavier than the vertical ones. The scratchbuilt turret is seen without the weathering.

Closeup on the rear turret. The barrels were camouflaged as seen on the PoW camouflage topic.

Secondaries.

Cheers

Áron

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 12:46 pm 

Keep up the good work :thumbs_up_1: I think this will be as good as your Kelly :cool_2:

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 2:05 pm 

Fantastic work... although I hesitate to point out that the barbette for B turret should be slightly wider than the turret itself.. ! Great work so far!

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:57 am 

Superb work!

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:36 pm 

I’ve really enjoyed reading this whole post. All caught up now. Thanks for sharing details on your techniques. I have one in my stash to build sometime in the next year. Will enjoy following along here.

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:53 pm 

Great job on that turret! Looking good all the way,

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:07 pm 

I recently picked up my 12.41 Flyhawk PoW and starting to build it as 5.41 and you are an inspiration this whole thread. Someone told me that my work will come out very good - and then I see yours and Im totally discouraged because I already know I wont make it as good as yours! AND THEN you go and say that the French battleship in drydock is beyond YOUR skill level. :heh: :big_grin: Trust me, you can do that easily.

What do you plan to do with the radar platform on the top - you just leave a flat platform there, no lantern? The 5.41 kit actually has some radar there. Im a bit confused on this.

And of course I havent followed your thread then saw you building a turret and had that awful feeling that the original one was just wrong and you decided to build the right one. I really didnt want to build a turret. :D

My two cents on the lower hull - tone the red down with some grey wash. It feels extremely unnatural, though effective. Or you probably will do that anyway and Im just running ahead of things:)

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:47 am 

Hello guys!

I had to skip more than half a year due to other activities - a lot of work, etc. - but I could put some more effort in the diorama recently what I can present now. Unfortunately the dock wall looked terrible, maybe I made ot inaccurately or the glued surfaces bent a lot I don't know. I started to redo them again.

I fabricate them quite fast, only two parts missing.

I also made the stairway on the other side of the middle part.

And here are some new pictures of the ship, nothing new.

That's the ide how the electronics will fit under the dock part. I hope the carpenterwork will hide the cables.

Pascalemod: I have seen every pictures of your work on Instagram, really proper work I have to say, your paintjob is way better then mine, well done Sir!

That's for now, hope we will have a better year than the past one. Be safe!

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:14 pm 

Just beautiful work! Definitely some approaches and paint here that I want to shamelessly copy when i do mine!

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:04 pm 

Nice to see progress again.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:09 pm 

Thank you for your kindness, hope I can pay more attention on the topic in the future I really don't want to neglect it.

According to the pictures of Rosyth No 1. dock I had gethered previously I started to make the gate (?) of the dock.

Let me show you some:

The last one is made when the Queen Elisabeth was under construction in 2013 in Rosyth. So thought-provoking the actual size of the recently built ships compared the WW II battlesips.

Anyway.

For the base of the gate I used a simple piece of wood to get some firmness and covered it with plasic sheets.

The fitting is just disatrous due to the slight angle of the stepped part of the dock wall compared. It causes a slight tilt of the background wood plate which makes the outflow part (or whatever the hell is that with the oval on the middle) deviates from it at the top. But it's not a big deal, I intend to fill the gap with some clay and thats all.

I had to make a thin line with three levels under the outflow part, fortunately that was an easy one.

As you can see, I borrowed Marijn's oversized matchstick for comparsion as he makes his ships perfectly accurate recently in the nano-scale so don't need it :heh:
Thats for today, tomorrow I'm going to fill in the gaps and hopefully glue the gate to the dock wall. The other side is already done - which is basically a smooth wall so I fabricate it out of the same plasic sheet that I used here -. And whats next? Is it pissible that this part is ready for priming? Hope so.

Best regards

Áron

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:14 am 

Great work Aaron! :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:

I'm looking forward to see the entire dock.

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:45 am 

Thank you, Marijn, I also want to see getting the pieces together finally!

In the last two days I was filling in the gaps and rifts between the plastic parts as I had mentioned in the previous post. I tried to redo all the small gaps before painting.

I also added some spare scrap PE fret part onto the gate to make it less uniform according the original footage.

Cheers!

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:22 am 

All right!

I found a picture where we can see the top of the gate from the harbour. It wasn't as solid as the inner surface, there is a service walkway under the top.

I tried to represent that to make the whole gate a bit more interesting so I added a small horizontal sheet of plastic and place some support stanchions, boxes etc on it. After that I glued the vertical sheet in front of the original layer.

And finally I cut out the ground parts of the dock! Rough cut now, precision work and sanding will come henceforward.

Behind the cable hole inlets - for the electrical cables came from the ship - I left a part on the hinder vertical wall of the structure for four switch buttons connected to four battery holders soldered together earlier.

The ship has three circutis so I have a spare battery for the lightning on the port base. I haven't decided wether I want to put LEDs into the cranes and houses or make some lamp posts.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 5:16 pm 

After a long time - due to the pandemic and the massive workload due to it - I finally had my summer holiday and with that I could take out the Prince of Wales and the diorama again. Unfortunately during the spring some cracks formed on some of the joints of the dock. I decided to speed up the progress and try to finish at least the base paint of the dock.

After some minor repair was done I primed and painted the inner walls of the drydock.

I thought a lot about the proper process of the assembling and the painting. As some of you may remember I built some LEDs into the ship and the wires are planned to run under the "base" layer of the dock, under the buildings. I thought I have to paint the bigger elements of the dock first in pieces, assemble them and after that can I put the ship in the right place. After I soldered the wires (came from the ship) to the switches the dock is impossible to be painted due to the ship.

With that thread I had decided to paint only the inner wall of the drydock.

Ships in drydock stand on the keel, so I had to make some keel woods. Actually a lot of them. First I tried to use plastic rods but It was really painful to cut after several pieces so I move to using matchsticks instead. Weird, I know.

It happened to fit really well into the diorama. Here is some pics with the ship lays on them.

After that I started to paint the wall of the dock. I found some recent pictures of Rosyth's No 1 dock.

As you can see it is not gray, more of a brownish-tan colour.

I picked some of the characteristic tones from this picture.

Some wet parts are also noticed.

Not perfect but okayish.

The wall was really really weared so I made some streaks with oil paints. I was impossible for me to add such small details in that can be seen on the original pictures but the overall effect gives back the idea

One may say it's a bit too hars but it really isn't. Most of the drydock pictures I had seen had even more brutal weathering.

After I finished with the main weathering I drifitted the horizontal parts of the dock.

And... I was insecure what to do next. The parts did not fit well so if I assemble them after the paintwork huge gaps will be seen and cannot be repared. If I glue the parts now and fill the gaps, paint... how can I make the electric work?

I had decided to put the whole thing away and do some more pleasant job: etching.

Some of you may think 'he is crazy, nobody likes etching', but if I show you what I mean you will appreciate my enthusiasm.

So here is the thing: a small, 25 ton crane. I had made one before to my japanese dock diorama so I knew it is simple and easy to make.

Hope you like it, I certainly do.

It's an american crane of coure and not a british one but I did not have british cranes in 1:700.

After that I made some dock diorama houses out of my stack that resembled to the original houses.

I put on the ship to get the feeling how big these warhips were.

I also made some modification on the dock:

During I made the small photoetch parts and put the in the right place I felt something is missing. And suddenly I realise that some of the pictures are made from a really tall place.

Like this. We can see the small 25 ton crane down there but what the hell is this?

There are several pictures of a huge crane standing on the other side of the dock

And then I realised that the first picture was flipped.

MWI fooled me a bit.

In fact there was two big cranes in Rosyth during the WW2, but none of them in the place where I could show apparently.

I really really like this 250 ton crane. Massive raw force.

This picture shows actually two of them. The one in the back and the secon one next to dock No 1 but on the wrong side witch I don't fabricate.

So here is my dilemma: be more realistic and don't put a big ass crane on the dirama or... ahh just ordered one. So I thing I'm gonna build the crane, put it on the dio and see if it ruin it or not. But now I tend to install it because it was part of the Rosyth dockyard, that was the tallest building so maybe the most eye-catchy part from the distance. And another thing, I can hide some leds in it and make it a really nice detail of the build.

I also decided the order of the work: fit the horizontal parts, do a proper gap-filling and sanding work, paint and after that make the electric parts somehow. I already done the filling part and primed the whole thing. Next time I show the result, hope you guys don't have to wait another half year for that.

All the best!

Áron

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 12:53 pm 

Great job you're doing there! Love the weathered paint job and all the effort you've put in the dockyard. :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:31 am 

Great progress Aaron! It is starting to come together very nicely :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:35 pm 

Agreed.

Good references are SO helpful.

Report this post
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next