The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:01 pm 

Great concept for a diaroma! Weathering on the drydock looks really good. :thumbs_up_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:20 pm 

Thank you for your kind words!

I had very little time to do my hobby recently but I would like to show the progress in this short post.
I have primed the shipyard houses and painted them.

These are the different paints and pigments I used to make them more realistic:

Here is a short layer-by-layer series of the process:

The whole team together. I overdo the chipping as always.....

As you can see I glued, and painted the horizontal part of the dock as well but it needs a lot of detailing, only the main colours were brushed yet.

Next job: the railway, the vagons and the big 250t crane!

See you next time!

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:49 pm 
Wow! Very nice work so far.

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:56 pm 

WOW! Very nice progress!

Matt

1/350 USS Portland CA-33 1942
1/350 Trumpeter Texas with a twist

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:24 am 

Very nice progress indeed! The buildings and crane look great! :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:
Of course don't forget to fill the gap under the taller building at the end of the dock. ;)

Looking forward to the train! I used the same set for the small rairoad section and railcar with my Amagi, and was of course a little frustrated that I couldn't include one of those beautiful locomotives. ;)

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:26 pm 

I love this project because youre doing a dry dock exactly how I wanted to make it, except youre following through while I just build full hull ships and paint dry dock base and calling a day...

Youre inspiring me to shamelessly copy your dry dock and build this further out for my ships. Keep up the great work, really fun to follow!

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:48 am 

Áron, I really like the way you have weathered the dock, it seems so realistic!
The composition is spectacular, I can hardly wait to see it completed.
Congrats!

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:05 am 

Thank you, my friends, I try my best and always push my boundaries!

Marijn: I put the two buildings in the wrong position, hope there will be no gap at all. Unfortunately due to the excessive temperature changes here in Hungary during the summer the whole base bent a bit and some nasty gaps are developped. I'm going to hide them behind wood piles, cars, carpenter work etc.

As I had mentioned in the end of my last post I continued with the big crane and with the trains. Let me show you some of the building process. The crane was a spectacular craftsmanship, the assembling was easy like a sunday morning.

First parts of the crane. The whole body has a nice three dimensional structure that adds a lot to realism.

I put in four micro LEDs.

The vertical structure.

Properly planned, worth the price to the last penny.

Gap-filling process as always. And here comes the locomotive picrures:

A 1:35 Tiger (?) tank shell fits perfectly as the body of the locomotive in 1:700. Yes, I had made tanks as well.

The top is a bit skew, I reglued it after I had took the pictures. It was okay for the naked eye but my OCD came when I saw it on my phone.

Thats all for today, I primed and spray the parts with the base coats. After I finished the weathering procedure bring the pics.

Cheers!

Áron

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:53 am 

That looks great Aaron! :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:

The crane looks very cleverly designed indeed to keep construction as easy as possible, but with a spectacular result.

Great work on the train too! Good that you reglued the top (that would keep bugging you... ;) ), and creative use of 1/35 parts! :thumbs_up_1:
Maybe you can still add the chimney and other protrusions on the top of the locomotive? (like in the red circle)
And you can give the part in the blue circle some more 3D feeling (thickness) by gluing a square of plastic sheet to it?

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:38 am 

Excellent work so far, Áron! :thumbs_up_1:

However I have to be the bringer of bad news about the railway stock your using - it's North American outline and completely wrong for the UK, being far, far, too big! :shock:

This is what Rosyth used for it's motive power:

https://preservedbritishsteamlocomotives.com/andrew-barclay-works-no-1385-rosyth-no-1-0-4-0st/

Small 0-4-0 and 0-6-0 tank engines were the most common type of steam loco used in British ports as they could get around the very tight, almost 90 degree, curves typical of most dock rail systems. 8 to 16 ton capacity 4 wheel open wagons and what in the UK are called Vans, also 4 wheeled, would be most the commonly seen rolling stock, for the same reasons. Any bogie stock that would have been able to get in would mainly have been flatcars carrying large and abnormal loads.

Britain's railways were far behind their American and Continental equivalents when it came to the quality of the freight stock it used, largely due to financial reasons exacerbated by the unwillingness of many industries to upgrade their railway networks to handle larger wagons. UK freight trains were only fully braked from the late 1970's! :big_eyes:

Mike.

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:12 pm 
Back-Aft Models
Back-Aft Models

Am I allowed to say, "Holy :censored_2:!" :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:

I guess not. Ha!! :heh:

Photobucket
https://app.photobucket.com/u/carlomaha

YouTube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcH4XXgrwKkhbIHgFtIYhAg

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:31 pm 

Very impressive PE locomotives!

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:07 pm 

Thank you for your comments, gents!

Michael! Those small locomotives looks so funny, I appreciate the sturdiness of men who could have chosen that bloody ugly green colour - may I call it goose-shit-green? Yes, definitely can I. Anyway, there is no other locomotive PE set on the market in scale so I am going to use it. Maybe I paint to green.

Marijn! I'm gonna make the additional parts, thanks for the photo!

Dan and Nuke: hope you also enjoy the build.

Unfortunately it seems that you have to wait for the next post a lot due to several factors affecting my modelling time. First: Covid. Not mine, other careless, antivaccine citizens'. Second: I took two new jobs beyond my main position, jey (Áron, you idiot, you are already half-dead-tired...). Well, wish me luck. Third: I have moved to a new house four days ago with my fiancée. Acting as a handyman recently and being proud of being able to piece bigass IKEA wardrobe together.
Hope I can create my modellng corner here this year.

Áron

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 3:14 pm 

Lovely work on the diorama. The extra effort in detailing and painting really pays off.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 5:34 pm 

Hi Aron

Lovely looking diorama you're making, just to pick up on Michael's comment re the loco for which I agree with him, you could use an Alco which would be more suitable than an express locomotive. The Alco S1's were imported from the US for such duties as dockyard work and in fact, we still have two in preservation here today. Although from what I have read the two here now were brought in during the 1950's the design dates back to 1940 so very possible that one or something very similar may have been found on a UK dockyard during the war?

The good news is that Shapeways does 3D printed versions in 1/700.. https://www.shapeways.com/product/56K6A ... arketplace

Anyway, just an idea if you decide to change...

Keep up the good work

Pete

Report this post