The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 12:06 pm 

Some more progress. Hull sprayed blue, Humbrol blue as I cannot get Colourcoats B20.

I have started scratchbulding the bridge structure using re-scaled Profile Morskie plans for HMS Resolution where applicable. The Atlantic Models photoetch for the foremast starfish looks well I think. The structure is the one from the kit cut to size and filled and filed. Windows added using photoetched ladder turned sideways.

I do not have plans for Ramillies so what I don't have details of I am guesstimating using my available photos. The platform below the director is scratchbult from 1/350 IJN gusset plates and splinter shielding.

Attachments:
DSC_0048R.JPG
DSC_0048R.JPG [ 380.31 KiB | Viewed 376 times ]
DSC_0062R.jpg
DSC_0062R.jpg [ 393.9 KiB | Viewed 376 times ]
DSC_0064R.jpg
DSC_0064R.jpg [ 47.54 KiB | Viewed 376 times ]
Report this post
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 2:10 pm 

Some more progress today. Did some work on the bridge structure. It is awfully convoluted and awkward to build. Between split levels and having to all fit around a tripod mast. Then there are gusset plates stretching between levels too which if assembled will be nigh impossible to paint. Some careful thought is required as to how to sequence the build so that everything fits properly and can be painted as well. A long way to go on it yet. I added the handrails to the director platform as it will be too difficult to do this after it is positioned on the mast. Will have to try not to break it in the meantime.

Also gave the hull some coats of battleship grey. After masking off the blue panel on the lower hull. The main grey colour is supposed to be 507C Light Grey. I have used Humbrol 127 instead due to not being able to get Colourcoats paints. I believe it is a close enough substitute though so I am not too worried about it.

Attachments:
DSC_0071R.JPG
DSC_0071R.JPG [ 319.02 KiB | Viewed 340 times ]
DSC_0072r.JPG
DSC_0072r.JPG [ 367.92 KiB | Viewed 340 times ]
DSC_0077R.JPG
DSC_0077R.JPG [ 385.06 KiB | Viewed 340 times ]
Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:15 pm 

Between various things I have not had a chance to do any work on Ramillies since May.

However I got some done today,mainly kitbashing the kit boats to more resemble 45' Picket Boats and adding the Atlantic Models photoetch thwarts to the kit's cutters, afterfirst hollowing them out. Also scratchbuilt the 6 inch secondary casemate guns from Evergreen tube and brass rod for the barrels. Blast bags are built up using layers of Artist's Medium.

Attachment:
DSC_0361.JPG
DSC_0361.JPG [ 344.06 KiB | Viewed 282 times ]

Masking tape removed and superstructure partially dry-fitted. Paint touch ups and weathering need to be done before permanently fitting any of it:

Attachment:
DSC_0364.JPG
DSC_0364.JPG [ 367.68 KiB | Viewed 282 times ]

Half a hint or a resemblance to a battleship but a lot of work still to do.

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:33 am 

Some more work today, painting in progress on the main and casemate gun turrets and assembly and painting of bridge tripod structure in progress too:

Attachment:
DSC_0399R.JPG
DSC_0399R.JPG [ 349.83 KiB | Viewed 215 times ]

Attachment:
DSC_0398R.JPG
DSC_0398R.JPG [ 313.56 KiB | Viewed 215 times ]

I am unsure if H.M.S. Ramillies had her gun barrels countershaded in this camouflage scheme? I have assumed she did as the regulations call for it and other battleships in this scheme did feature it. All the photos I have of her are from too far away to tell really. They were definitely countershaded when she wore the earlier Admiralty Disruptive Camouflage Pattern.

Nor can I tell the colour of the blast bags? So I have gone with a dark grey, not quite as dark as the steel deck plating. On some ships in the Admiralty Standard type scheme they look dark, on others the countershading of the barrels continues through the blast bag back to the joint with the turret.

The bridge tripod structures of this class were certainly not designed with the model kit builder in mind. They are the most convoluted most awkward shape to scratchbuild. Oh well. in the absence of a set of plans my scratchbuilding will not be anywhere near fully accurate but I hope to achieve a reasonable representation of it. To be continued.

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:04 pm 

Some minor weathering to the hull. H.M.S. Ramillies was repainted shortly before I intend to depict her so I'm not going to town on the weathering. The lower hull will be predominantly hidden in a seascape with only the odd bit visible due to the wave profile while the ship is in motion. Still a work in progress:

Attachment:
DSC_0012R.JPG
DSC_0012R.JPG [ 36.85 KiB | Viewed 173 times ]

I have also stained the wood deck sheet. I think it looks better than the original version which is far too white for wartime. H.M.S. Ramillies had deck camouflage painted on her planked deck areas when wearing the earlier Admiralty Disruptive Camouflage pattern. For the purposes of my model I have assumed this was removed when she was painted into the Admiralty Standard pattern. Anyway here is the stained deck versus the original colour. Sheet is 1:500 scale generic planking sheet from Mk1 Design:

Attachment:
DSC_0010R.JPG
DSC_0010R.JPG [ 96.55 KiB | Viewed 173 times ]

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:44 am 

Some more progress.

I got the main gun turrets painted and added the anti-aircraft weapon platforms to 'B' and 'X' Turrets. The Quadruple PomPom platform is from the Atlantic Models photoetch set. However this only includes a single platform. The other I scavenged from an additional Atlantic Models set which In plan to use for a First World War version of ne of the class. Therefore it was spare. The 20mm Oerlikon tubs are scratchbuilt:

Attachment:
DSC_0019R.JPG
DSC_0019R.JPG [ 394.09 KiB | Viewed 113 times ]

I also got the wood deck fitted. Still some gaps to fill in so it remains a work in progress:

Attachment:
DSC_0018R.JPG
DSC_0018R.JPG [ 393.67 KiB | Viewed 113 times ]

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:52 pm 

Some more progress. I applied a coat of paint on the ships' boats and also painted a set of 1/500 Tom's Modelworks crew figures . They have their heads in the blu-tak so I can paint their legs. Finally I mounted the bridge superstructure onto the hull. And dry-fitted the funnel:

Attachment:
DSC_0029R.JPG
DSC_0029R.JPG [ 374.36 KiB | Viewed 62 times ]

Attachment:
DSC_0030R.JPG
DSC_0030R.JPG [ 363.74 KiB | Viewed 62 times ]

Attachment:
DSC_0032R.JPG
DSC_0032R.JPG [ 377.57 KiB | Viewed 62 times ]

I need to do paint touch-ups and to blend in the weathering. The intention is to have some funnel dirt and general soot and filth from having been steaming heavily and firing her guns on bombardment duty. But not too much rust as she was re-painted shortly before I am depicting her.

Report this post