The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:23 pm 

My first ship is almost done, few things left to put on (some of which i might leave off).
The kit is great in my opinion, the fit, details and included chain and pe set are really nice. I got RB model barrels for Borodino (they are pretty much the same) and wooden deck from china (the one with shark logo i think).
As for what you can see below. The paint scheme is my aproximation of green Russian 1st Pacific Squadron would use. The funnels most likely should be green to but ochre gives it much more visual interest and some other ships painted green had them in that color. I also found an old postcard showing the ship with green hull and ochre funnels so it might not be compelatly incorrect. I also realise that some decks should be brown linoleum but i ran into some trouble painting forward superstructure and decided to swallow my pride and leave it green.

(my phone made the colors more vibrant than they appear in reality)

*Fixed the photos

Last edited by Microscop on Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:40 pm 

Good evening and welcome to modelwarships.comcc :welcome:

Your model looks like its coming along very well! :thumbs_up_1:

simultaneously to Timmy C writing...

I had downloaded your images and resized them to make them viewable on most peoples screens :cool_2: :thumbs_up_1:

( Impressive phone ... (!!! ) --the side-view image was 8000 pixels wide !!! that's bigger thna my Canon SLR !!!

We look forward to seeing the model completed

Best wishes form the UK :wave_1:

Jim Baumann

IPMS UK SIG (special interest group) www.finewaterline.com

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:50 pm 

Thanks for the welcome :wave_1:
The phone is actually just a cheap xiaomi haha

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:21 pm 

Crisp looking Tsesarevich!

You could try to use a brownish wash few times on those decks that supposed to be linoleum. Wipe off exess with white spriti and you got your nice linoleum decks. .. You glued everything too fast, didnt you ? :D

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:47 am 

pascalemod wrote:
Crisp looking Tsesarevich!

You could try to use a brownish wash few times on those decks that supposed to be linoleum. Wipe off exess with white spriti and you got your nice linoleum decks. .. You glued everything too fast, didnt you ? :D

Thanks!

I only glues the railing, ammo lockers and those barrel shaped things next to them but that proved to be a problem indeed.
I actually tried that using rust wash from mig. On the rear superstructure it turned out great but the front one was problematic. The forward superstructure deck part has moulded strips that hold down the linoleum and some other small round and square portrusions.
All that combined with the small parts i glued on created surface tension around those parts drawing wash in their direction leaving gaps inbetween. I tried a bit thicker layer of wash to overcome it but to my suprise it started melting the plastic around the details :mad_2: I managed to salvage it before it was too late, cleaned it up, sanded a bit and repainted without visibale damage.
At that point i was just happy to have avoided a distaster and that i even managed to put on the that crazy railing on the forward superstructure which has more complex shape than it may appear.

Last edited by Microscop on Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:44 am, edited 4 times in total.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:31 am 

Sharp looking build. I like the unusual paint scheme.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:57 am 

MartinJQuinn wrote:
Sharp looking build. I like the unusual paint scheme.

Thanks, i actually realised some time ago that building is much more fun to me than painting, thats part of the reason i decided to start building ships instead of tanks.
The paint scheme is probably not 100% historical as i mentioned but still more historical than the black war color scheme with ochre funnels given in the instructions. The funnels most likely should be green too. I know that some battleships at Port Arthur had buff superstrucutres and funnels but that was their peace time color scheme or they were repainted after the battle of the yellow sea (i am not sure)
Most likely how it looked like
Other battleships of the 1st Pacific Squadron had this paint scheme at some point
Old Postard with Tsesarevich showing the superstrucure and funnels in their peace time colors but the hull repainted to green used by the 1st Pacific Squadron

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:31 am 

I think this buff-green paint job on tsesarevich based on that pic could be good one. But so often people mistake black and white photos. Especially on ships where hull always looks darker than superstructures even if same color. Hence your approach is very good I think and I really like this green color you went with.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:18 am 

Beautiful looking ship so far. I’m with you on the visually appealing concept! If it’s plausible then go for it as tha draws people in tolook and that usually brings up questions and may even get into a history discussion. I love the aspect of learning about what we build. Looking forward to more!

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:05 am 

Well done so far!

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:57 pm 

Admiral Stark ordered the 1st pacific fleet to use the olive green all over in the fall of 1903, as in your first picture. Most were still in this scheme until the Yellow Sea battle. The Tsesarevich was one of the ships to break thru the blockade, and was interned in Tsingtao. Photos from this time would indicate she remained in this scheme at that time. The ships that returned to Port Arthur were blockaded and eventually destroyed by 11” mortars from the heights above the bay. Photos of the ships wrecked in Port Arthur show a lighter tone on the funnels and superstructure like your second picture. There is a post on this site that gives more info, I think it’s in the battleship section under Borodino class or Russian pre dreads. It was a long time ago, and there are no absolutes, so no one can really say what color they were at any given time. Nice model, I have it and have been somewhat intimidated to do the green scheme, but yours looks really good.

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:31 pm 

Great work! :thumbs_up_1:

Scott

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:48 am 

Magnificent build you got there!! I've always liked the early year Tsearevich who still has her enclosed fighting tops.
As for the issue with paint schemes, I once consulted some flag problems on ScaleModels.ru when I was building my Askold, and the war era piant of Russian Navy was brought up. What I learned is that Russian warships engaged in Russo-Japanese war all wore a single grayish green battle color. See the attached pic of that color sample.

Attachments:
QQ截图20200925132412.png
QQ截图20200925132412.png [ 210.7 KiB | Viewed 3260 times ]
ASKOLD-04(STARBOARD).jpg
ASKOLD-04(STARBOARD).jpg [ 174.33 KiB | Viewed 3260 times ]
Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:27 am 

Thanks for comments everyone.
I made some new photos that seem to reflect colors much better, i also applied varnish in meantime which toned them down a bit too. It looks more like greysish green and less like pea green now.
The model got a bit dusty which is especially visible in the photos eh. I got a glass case for it with the wooden base i made visible in the photo (i atached felt sticker like those used for furniture to the bottom of the ship so it doesn't sit straight on the wood and is elevated a little bit).

I like those large fighting tops too, i hope we will get some plastic french pre drednought with military masts and saucer shaped fighting tops in the near future.

Beautyfull Askold, so sharp. I was tempted by the white paint scheme too but decided to make a pair of Tsesarevich and Mikasa both in their 1904 battle of the yellow sea appearence.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:24 pm 

Such glorious tumblehome...and a very pleasing shade of green...

On the ways:
1/200 Trumpeter HMS Nelson
1/700 Tamiya USS Yorktown CV-5

In the stash:
1/35 Italiari PT-109
1/35 Tamiya "Pibber" Patrol Boat
1/350 Trumpeter USS Yorktown CV-10

Report this post