The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:30 am 
SovereignHobbies
SovereignHobbies

You're not using Halfords grey primer on a model worth this much are you?

Current build:
HMS Imperial D09 1/350
http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=167151

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:11 am 

SovereignHobbies wrote:
You're not using Halfords grey primer on a model worth this much are you?

For havens sake no! :big_grin:

I got carried away in my previous post after finding what I was looking for so I totally forgot to tell what my own plans are.

I will start with adding the grey for the upper part, then draw the top boot topping line, mask of upper grey and add black below. Then draw a new line for the bottom part of the boot topping, masking of above and apply red :thumbs_up_1:

Colors
Initially I wanted to go with the recommendations from the H.M.S Hood Association (Home Fleet Grey from your business etc) but first they were out of stock and then I realized they were a bit hard to get shipped to Sweden. So, I went with another option and picked a mixture of Tamiya and Vallejo from local stores.

Hull-wise, the grey will be Tamiya XF-66 Light Grey. Possibly a bit bright then Home Fleet Grey but I will oil/weather down afterwards so hopefully it will get near enough. Boot Topping will be XF-1 Flat Black. Red will be Tamiya XF-7 Flat Red slightly mixed with XF-9 Hull red. The latter mixture I found reading Jabberwock’s excellent work of his Hood. Hopefully Jabberwock will get back to speed before I get to where he took a pause in his project, otherwise I have no idea how to progress in a while haha =)

Questions:
Is there any way to find out where the boot topping shall be measuring or is it just looking at pictures and take a stab?

How long can i leave masking tape on the hull?
Will it get impossible to remove after a few days or can i leave it on?
Using Tamiya masking tape.

Happy weekend lads and pleasant winds

Slava Ukraini

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:03 pm 

“Let there be paint, and the paint was grey”! :big_grin:

Evening folks

I gave the hull a go in my improvised spraying both this afternoon. I hope I went down enough to cover till the upper part of the forthcoming boot topping =)

Used 0,4 needle this time and after third layer I was about to switch down to 0.15 but got lazy. Think it turned out alright anyway.

First, thin layer.

After second layer, a bit greyer tone appears.

Third layer and now it starts to look like something =)

Port side third layer.

Fourth and final layer.
I know the layer isn’t quite solid but I sort of like it. With some oil and washes it could be good.

Then it suddenly became evening and what little light outside there was disappeared so my improvised spray booth became a bit to dark for more work. Still, for painting the first hull ever in my life I am very pleased with what I managed to achieve. I have spotted some areas needing a touch up next time but overall, more than happy with the result. Building up layer by layer this way (using an airbrush) was first time for me and very satisfying.

For you with experience, am I being a bit shy with the grey after the fourth layer or does it look alright?
For both sides and barbettes I only used half a pot. I think uncle Scrooge McDuck would be proud haha

Slava Ukraini

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:42 am 
Your 4th layer looks fine.
Hood was pride of the Royal Navy and was always kept pretty pristine, even before she sailed on her last voyage.
Too much preshading or weathering on this ship would be wrong, since historically she was kept clean and freshly painted at all times.
Carry on with the good work.

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:40 pm 

Very good job! :thumbs_up_1:

I will follow your assembly closely. ;)

•Battleship Bretagne 3D: https://vu.fr/FvCY
•SS Delphine 3D: https://vu.fr/NeuO
•SS Nomadic 3D: https://vu.fr/tAyL
•USS Nokomis 3D: https://vu.fr/kntC
•USS Pamanset 3D: https://vu.fr/jXGQ

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:30 pm 

Evening gents

Sorry for my absence, have been; and still is – a lot going on in l 1/1 life so hobby hours have been scarce. Still, as there is always work to be done as a modeler; I have managed to squeeze in some hours here and there since last post.

Thank you Iceman and Guest
Yeah, I know she was kept in good paint condition. I still haven’t figured out how much weathering I will end up with. For me having a model looking pristine is not going to happen, however accurate it is. Time will tell.

The hull is nearing completion, more or less =)

After the grey color last post had dried I measured the top of the boot topping and applied the anti-fouling red. I mixed about 5/6 Tamiya XF-7 Flat Red with 1/6 XF-9 Hull Red and built up layer by layer. Probably not totally accurate and most likely a bit too dark but it is what it is.
First layer
Second layer
Third layer

Also gave the propeller shafts a go before I glued them on. Note to other builders is that once I attached the shafts I managed to scrape of some paint so perhaps it’s better to glue them in place directly and avoid re-painting them :o

Once the fourth layer was done and dusted I did some highlighting on the red, adding a bit more Tamiya XF-7 Flat Red and working the edges with the 2mm needle. It’s not a big difference but I hope it will help once the weathering begins.
Image just before boot topping but it does show the highlighting a bit better with darker/lighter areas. Yes i know, much work for nothing since no one will watch beneath :p

Having the paint rest for some days I then masked of for the boot topping, going for the 10mm after some more pondering. Using famous Google I found lots of builds and people going from 6mm till 12mm. Most claim that either 10- or 12mm is the correct size but on my novice level that is irrelevant.

First layer of the boot topping was XF-63 German Grey and I had more focus on the bottom half of the line. Once dry it was time for some sausages!
Found mr. Hydes masking putty very easy to work with and using two PVC plastic sheets made them ready to be applied on the hull in in no time.

Second layer of the boot topping was a bit of pondering though. I had a hard time deciding on using either XF-69 Nato Black or XF-1 Flat Black. Ending up with the latter since it's more “black” so to say. I hope the weathering will tone done German Grey a tad so the transition will be more smoothly, as it would have been with Nato Black. But, I wanted a black line, and you can’t get it all now can you? (=

Left the sausages to rest an hour or so then I removed them along with the other masking tape. Yes, I did hold my breath for a moment =)

Think it ended up over expectations. Some minor touch ups, mostly on the grey upper part. A bit of degaussing cable partly fell of and I noticed some more brass from the cable shining through here and there. Nothing big so tomorrow I will hopefully seal the hull with AK Interactive varnish, going for the Ultra Matte. Then I can start weathering the hull when I feel for it or just leave it for a bit and move on to other parts in this big puzzle (=

Some dark evening pictures to sum it up :o

Pleasant Sunday folks and happy winds

Slava Ukraini

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:06 am 

Beautiful attention to detail.

Do double check carefully the placement of the boot topping though - on pics it looks like you might have painted it BELOW waterline level, not above.

For reference: https://www.sovereignhobbies.co.uk/page ... avy-colour

I have made this error few times - I always assumed you paint the boot topping below hull break, but actually one must always check references - some kits are made in a way where you paint the boot topping above hull break, some below, some - on both parts of the hull. I did this mistake in worst way on USS Washington kit, and it really screwed up how it appeared. I went back and redid the whole thing and it was not too hard. Same with my Hood back in the day.

Hood is a funny beast also - it sat very low in water, at the stern 1/3 of the ship was above water, on the bow - only 1/2 or so. That's pretty easy to tell. And then on top of that, she sat even lower on photos, even thicker boot topping was painted than average, probably at least a foot or more thicker. I urge you to just give it some attention because get that wrong, and whole ship will look "off" and have that look of an aircraft carrier or cruiser with higher freeboard ratio to overall height. That is definitely not the case for Hood, a ship that had an iceberg like placement in water in regards to its hull.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:04 am 

Yikes !

That’s not good, darn!

Thank you so much Pascalemod for your sharp eyes and kind advice.
If it is too low it would definitely make the model look a bit weird.
Especially if she was so heavy in the water already.

Glad I checked the forum this morning otherwise I would most likely just pressed on today.

I took some more pictures if anyone want to comment on the boot topping just to be sure. This is my first ship model I build since childhood and my very first I ever add paint to so there is not much experience when it comes to what is right or wrong =)

The outside drain I think is a bit low placed so not the best reference point perhaps

Thank you all for your kind words and helping a lost novice on his build =)

Slava Ukraini

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:32 am 

There is a good few markers to figure out the positioning.

That "pipe" that runs amidships, just ahead of torpedo tubes - on most photographs, the boot topping ENDS right at that level.
You can just see it touching it:

Last pics of Hood going to battle show here going at speed with waves parting around mid section and showing you quite a bit at the thickness of the boot topping in that area also. It is a very good indicator.

So that tells you where top of your boot topping should be, I guess, I assume that the length of that "pipe" is accurate in the kit, and overall dimensions are accurate also (easy to check ofc, see some reviews als).

Then you need to figure out where it begins, and I should in theory start at the waterline.

Sovereign Hobby guys do a very good research (that link I have provided), yet his drawing ends the boot topping below the level I referred above. I think that is just incorrect or he probably used some official drawings /plans and may be some standard boot topping thickness for RN (Im just guessing) and that could explain why overall that boot topping looks too thin in that graphic. But the red part is correct, and "deep".

Hood boot topping was thicker than on some other british capital ships it appears, and in general it was thicker than it seems on what Kreigsmarine used. I dont have definitive answer on exact thickness though in metres, and CASF thread on Hood will give you a good indication, just ask there. Think it was 8ft tall. source: http://www.hmshood.com/hoodtoday/models ... dpaint.htm

Just going by my gut, you should start the boot topping at hull break as Im sure Trumpeter knows that, and paint it up towards the pipe level. It must cover that bulging /armor section where there is a clear step. I guess that will give you the proper division.

Keep in mind, that Britain used to do this funny thing about declaring displacement, where they did not count fuel and water etc for weight (i think but not 100%) so their fully loaded Hood rode VERY low, and for Denmark Strait she was for sure very heavy with fuel and sat low, thus adjust your "muck" level also perhaps to the upper end. There is a comment about this on Hood Association page.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:25 am 

Alright, that solves the issue i think, higher it goes! :)

Thank you so much Pascalemod for your help and advice, very kind of you.

The link in your previous post wont work ("404 Page Not Found"), perhaps i need to login on the site first?
On the other hand i should be able to find it since i know what to look for and what page we are on :>

More uptates to come in the future :D

Slava Ukraini

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:01 am 

Chippmunk wrote:
Alright, that solves the issue i think, higher it goes! :)

Thank you so much Pascalemod for your help and advice, very kind of you.

The link in your previous post wont work ("404 Page Not Found"), perhaps i need to login on the site first?
On the other hand i should be able to find it since i know what to look for and what page we are on :>

More uptates to come in the future :D

SOrry, it is just HMS Hood Association website, you can just google it - they are rewamping site so probably thats why links are dead. BUt you will be redirected - there you gotta pic the Model part and just go to painting instructions. It is pretty useful site overall to check.

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:07 pm 

No worries, thanks to your help pascalemod I avoided a minor disaster (=

Looking at the old pictures, and learnt what you wrote; I do agree that the boot topping was low indeed.

So today I took a break from school and redid the boot topping, raising it 7 mm!

Started with doing the new boot topping

Adding some anti-fouling red on the previous old boot topping

Did some minor touch ups and then a layer of varnish on the hull upside-down!

Refitted the screws after so the hull could dry on the “right side” 

Can I move on now please? :D

Slava Ukraini

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:55 pm 

Now it looks way better to me. well done on fixing it, it looks visually "correct".:)

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:46 am 

Howdy folks (=

My nonappearance lately is due to two things actually, (yes, I plead guilty on both charges)
i) for some mysterious reason I started playing some World of Warships again after over a year of absence and,
ii) some building progress is not always photo-worthy :>

Still, I haven’t been totally afk as I have been reading the Calling all HMS “Mighty” Hood fans thread with interest since FW_Allen’s post 3rd November concerning her bottom hull color.
http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/vi ... 00#p919993

As others I find it both amusingly and very interesting that new information keeps coming forth and alters what we/ the community thought was right. I left my hull with a coat of varnish and haven’t touched it since then so yes, I will re-paint red to grey-ish in the near future. Haven’t worked out quite yet what colors I will go for though, more on that in later posts.

Build wise then…
I started some work under the shelter deck, whatever these are called =)

Using Roberts Anatomy of the ship is really helpful to correct portholes, doors, reels and other stuff.

I also took my time adding some random pipes and tubes of various sizes. I know there aren’t correct but they do add some extra detail I think.

I also put together the brass boxes and the remaining plastic parts for this section as well.

Then it was of for priming!
Using tiny amounts of blue tack and putting it on cardboard paper seems to be working out well, for now =)

First a coat of mr Surfacer 1200, then the Vallejo white primer.

Then some XF-1 Flat Black on the details using the 1,15mm needle.

And finally some XF-66 Light Grey. Continued using the 1,15mm even here. Yes it takes a bit longer but I like having control of the paint.
My poor camera doesn’t quite do the items justice but irl you can just make out some shadowing difference around doors, portholes and various tubes.

Left before some varnish would be painting the filters black with a brush and also adding some paint to the reels. And then off with some oil!

Started to scratch the surface, or should I say inner roof of the shelter deck as well. After spying on various builds once more I think I at least have a plan of how and where I want to place the various beams.
Looks like there is quite some work with this big part so guess I will be working with this for a while. At least its big so the carpet monster can’t get it :D

Started on the Admirals bridge as well.

Drilled out holes for the windows.

Also given the Model Monkey turrets a fist go, removing all the support casting and then given them a good wash with some warm water and dishwashing liquid. They are now ready for some detailed work with a sharp knife and/or file. Realize I have no picture of them cut and clean but believe me, they are =)

Finally, I did a minor update on my first post adding some various guides and tips to various sources of information so new builders can get a good start.

That’s it for now, happy winds lads and stay safe out there!

Slava Ukraini

Last edited by Chippmunk on Sun Dec 13, 2020 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:05 am 

Nice work there, well done. You are getting ahead of my build, I haven't had chance to do anything for ages. The new info coming out recently has been very interesting, and just in time for us both to incorporate into our models. How do Model Monkeys' turrets compare to the kits ones? Regards, Pete in RI

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 4:20 pm 

Evening gents

A minor update since i haven’t done much since last post.

Thank you europapete for your kind words :wave_1:
Yes indeed, guess that’s a good arguing point that haste isn’t always important :thumbs_up_1:
Now we both can re-adjust our hulls to what are believed to be a more correct color.
Regarding the turrets from Model Monkey, I haven’t touch them since last post unfortunately. Once I do I will post news about it and my thoughts =)

Since last post I spent some time pondering out the best way (for me) to add some extra structure as well as the H- and I- beams beneath the shelter deck as correct as possible.

First I took each structure and placed them upside down on the shelter decks roof and draw the lines with a pencil. This worked fairly well but I wasn’t sure that I managed to place them totally accurate. So I tested taking the wooden deck for the shelter deck and use that as a template. That was perhaps a bit better but I still wasn’t entire satisfied. My third approach was placing all the structures as intended on the hulls deck, then ad a tiny bit of glue (!) on each one at the upper corners and the quickly place the shelter deck above and apply some pressure. After a minute I carefully removed the deck and voilá, all the structures followed along nicely. Now I “know” for sure where I can place the various beams whiteout worrying too much I, hope :big_grin:

Started added some more structure to the shelter deck.
Forwards the bow I continued the structure and down the stern I just blocked the possibility of looking straight through. Four more support pillars were added as well.

Once that was settled I started laying out the H-beams and that’s where I will continue next time since I am still waiting for the bottom hull colors I ordered.

I am aware that the thickness of the deck will be a tad much but I have to draw a line somewhere of what is acceptable and not for me. This is my first ship model since childhood and the first ever to be painted so enough is enough. Think I already have taken the level way above my skills so better having some progress than get stuck on details only nerds on this forum will notice :heh:

Have a good evening lads and take care

Slava Ukraini

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:26 am 

So not an actual update build-wise but, this is just to good to let it be ignored.

Drachinifel have done extensive work with hist last video, The Loss of HMS Hood – But why did it blow up??
Well worth its time so buckle up lads :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLPeC7LRqIY&ab_channel=Drachinifel

Over and out,
Chippmunk

Slava Ukraini

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:45 am 

You are making great progress, and adding the extra detail and using the Pontos set and Model Monkey parts on your first ship build for years is definately ambitious. We just got dumped on with a foot of snow here in RI, so as I have the day off I think I will re-acquaint myself with the kit. Will check out the video you posted too, thank you. Keep up the good work, your'e doing great :thumbs_up_1: Regards, Pete in RI

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:58 am 

That video was nice to watch. If someone had a 3D hull of Hood that was reasonably accurate it would be easy for me to have the wave pattern calculated to support that theory...

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:11 am 

europapete
Snow, what is that? :big_grin:
If it is a good excuse for building models i am all in favor for it, think we should have MORE !
Thank you and glad to hear you are back on track once more :woo_hoo:
Another great build thread i now can keep an eye on when i find myself lost, which is often haha

EjFoeth
It's very interesting yeah.
First time i watch it i was like, darn, those theories does ad up very well at the end.

Why don't you write to Drachinifel and ask if he knows if three is a reasonable good 3d model around you can use?
I very much believe that this is something that should be looked into further and obviously there are some very smart people around here that together could bring a theory to something solid.

Just a month ago or so there was the lower hull color debate (still going on) and now this, HMS Hood is very much a hot topic those days =)

Happy winds lads

Slava Ukraini

Report this post
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next