The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:39 am 

The Karakurt class of ship's (also known as Project 22800) is the (for now) latest class of stealth corvettes for the Russian navy. They are meant to be more seaworthy then the Buyan-M-class which were designed for the littoral zone. With the hostillities in Ukraine, ssome larger projects were halted/pauzed and this is a cheap alternative for the Admiral Grigorovich class frigates...

These ships are armed with 8 vertical launchers for Oniks/Calibr anti-ship cruise missiles, a 100mm A-190 dual purpose gun, 2 AK-630 CIWS (first two ships), Pantsir M CIWS or Palash/Palma CIWS.

First hulls were laid down in 2015 and were commisioned in december 2018 and october 2019. 14 More ships are being constructed or launched allready.

The kit:

and the parts:

early hull:

Late hull:

Various parts:

PE, decals and barrels:

Detailing seems to be nice and crisp, but looking at the Combrig version of this ship, I would recommend the latter, a lot more detail is added, but I suppose that it will also add to the difficulty of building it...

Not my first ship I'm busy construction, but the railings were always a bit of a halting point, So on with that bullet, an appointment with the dentist has been made just in case...

Progress:

For the railings I worked with some kind of PVA-glue (gators grip) later on to be reinforced with thin CA

The small cages are for the liferafts... found it more easy to solder these into place then to glue these... less fuzz

Also found out that applying a bit of solder to the bends makes them stronger, at least less vulnerable to break. I'm aloso trying to thicken the PE-parts that need some body:

Same with these reinforcements to the sides, the supports are separate parts (luckily they provide too much off these) and I've found it more easy to solder these then to glue... just a matter of habbit I suppose...

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:10 pm 

Some progress:

Most has been fitted, with exception for the parts I think I won't be able to reach for painting:

The main mast was nerve wrecking: 8 pieces on a few mm's

The result so far::

Most railings weren't etched that wel (some burrs were visible) so I had to scrape most of them with the tip of a scalpel blade...

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:01 pm 

Small question:

I'm new to rigging, and what is the best way to do make the connections between the sidewall ( seems to go there) and the horizontal masts?

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:25 pm 

For the connection points circled in blue, a small length of railing cut to size would serve a convenient place to loop the rigging line around. You can glue the end on the yardarm first, then pull the line taut under the railing before gluing and trimming.

For the red, you either make a small bump on the side of the bulkhead and use that to support your line, or just glue the line right onto the bulkhead before pulling it up to the yardarm.

Attachments:
rigg.jpg
rigg.jpg [ 40.21 KiB | Viewed 767 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:17 am 

Thank you for that.

Meanwhile the first one is in it's basecolor. These modern ships have beautiful lines, but on the other hand, are mostly pretty dull in colors...

Dependent of where these are stationed, they have a darker or paler grey shade. On the other hand..

(maybe for the second kit included...)

So I've choosen the darker shade for this one

Looks pretty rough enlarged like this...

On to paint the few details...

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:36 am 

Decals on, worked perfect on one side(according to me at last...)

on the other side, they slightly moved while using decalsetting...

darn .... but I will leave it as it is...

and so the rigging... for the first time, must admit it gave me some fear.

First attempt with streched sprue. Made these as thin as I could, then cut some sections at length and glued these...

Then checked with some friends for their opinion, which was unanimous... nope, not good...

Next up, I've checked what I had at hand and found some rigging wire from Ushi I once bought and forgot about it...

and so small dabbs of CA and on with it (easier said then done...)

with the last sections, the CA stuck to everything, except the wires... so some small touch-ups will be needed to the hull from removing the excess glue..

PFFFFFF..... My hat of to the guys that rigg complete ships in this scale... will take more practice than this I suppose

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:23 am 

yeah rigging is always a pain, but looks nice though, I find that in smaller scales Uschi wire is much easier to do than sprue, I used sprue once and it was terrible, then I used uschi on the Yahagi and now the Hood and it went great. As long as you don't strecht it so far that the plastic parts are bending under the pull of the wires.

Report this post