The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:33 am 

Hello everyone.

Well, I started work on this new diorama. I give the class of ship because, I do not know yet which ship I will do in these respective class.

These ships have evolved a lot over time. Especially anti-aircraft weapons and vertical missile launchers. In addition, the condition of ships can range from clean super nickel to almost abandoned.

And on this diorama, the objective and especially work the painting of ships. So no barracks, no crates and other items and very few sailors.

Below is a photo showing the two ships docked at the same dock. On the previous photos posted. There were two class Kirov.

The following photos come from either Navsource.ru or Alumni Blog from these ships or people working on construction sites.

Different photos of class Kirov:

Et différentes photos du class Slava :

The crane is not too complicated and I think to do it. I need to find pictures of her base and what she's riding on. On rail, on wheel with tire, etc.

I already cut Kirov's hull and started making the PE planks for the details of both ships.

In addition, I have in stock the boards WEM and GMM that I will use to make this assembly. But I find them really too minimalist and there are many other things to do in PE to detail these ships.

So much for the presentation of this new project.

Best Regards
Alain.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:38 pm 

This will definitely be an interesting project to follow...

On the ways:
1/200 Trumpeter HMS Nelson
1/700 Tamiya USS Yorktown CV-5

In the stash:
1/35 Italiari PT-109
1/35 Tamiya "Pibber" Patrol Boat
1/350 Trumpeter USS Yorktown CV-10

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:37 pm 

Some of my favourite warships!

Really looking forward how this unfolds after seeing your Bismarck dio!

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:56 am 

Hello everyone,

I'm back with the progress of KIROV. I have to say it's a pretty complicated fixture and Trumpeter does not help us at all with these clear plastic parts.

But I finished the big parts of the montages. As a configuration, I chose the one represented by the photos taken by NATO planes. Those are the advantage of being in HD and it is possible to zoom in order to see the details.

The current ship knowing that I have not done anything on the deck of the ship yet.

The big tower was a real hassle. I did the editing and once finished I realized that on the Trumpeter parts, there were two doors on each side. I checked the photos and none of the versions showed me 2 doors. In addition to putting two Trumpeter doors, put none in the right place. So I took everything apart to take the whole thing from scratch.

There are still two or three points that I have to investigate before finalizing the editing.

As you can see I have deck lighting and speakers in place. I abandoned those of the Arsenal to make it smaller by using round profile of 0.8 mm.

Here are other pictures of the other parts of KIROV.

Image[/URL
]
[URL=https://imageshack.com/i/po1yCo0ij]Image

Currently, being saturated on the KIROV, I will spend on Slava to change my mind. I have to redo drawings for some pieces of PE and especially railings. I prefer to draw them to the right dimensions with the posts positioned at the right places (in principle one at each corner and with folds folds). Because otherwise, I consume a large amount of these.

In the pictures, all the shiny metal PE is drawn by me and the brass ones come from the GMM and WEM kits.

Good luck to all.
Sincerely.
Alain.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:58 am 

Excellent work, very tidy, very neat and very sharp.

Can't wait to see your weathering, all those lovely rust streaks - heaven!

Cheers, Jabb

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure.

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:27 am 

impressive! :thumbs_up_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:24 am 

Most impressive. </Vader>

On the ways:
1/200 Trumpeter HMS Nelson
1/700 Tamiya USS Yorktown CV-5

In the stash:
1/35 Italiari PT-109
1/35 Tamiya "Pibber" Patrol Boat
1/350 Trumpeter USS Yorktown CV-10

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:46 am 

Wow! Some great work with the PE. :thumbs_up_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:24 am 

Agreed. Excellent PE work.

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:42 am 

:big_eyes: :worship_1: :worship_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:10 pm 

Good morning all,

I am right on the SLAVA and since long since it is not a montage of the simplest. I would say it's a real pain.

I finished assembling the front and the middle part of the ship. As you can see in the photos, I have not advanced at the hull and there is still a lot of work on this part.

I spent about two months on what you see in the photos.

When I think that we will have to paint all this without breaking the bank. There are days when I'm ready to put everything in the closet and close it in double laps.

But hey I will persist. I hope they will be painted for the Palavas Expo in February.

Good luck to you all.
Sincerely.
Alain.

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:23 pm 

Great photo-etch work.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:51 am 

That is so cool!!, love the work you are putting into it :thumbs_up_1:

1/350 CVN 65 - Project Enterprise
http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=210966

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:56 am 

Hello everyone,

I finally have a nice step forward to show on my Russian ships project.

It was a great pain to mount all these details. But in general these models are not so simple to assemble. In comparison, a WWII battleship is a joke next to the Kirov or Slava assembly.

Before you present the advanced some news. As you know, I moved to a new region 9 months ago. Besides that the climate which is a real renaissance compared to the frost of Savoy. The seaside is a real pleasure, whatever the weather.

But on the model side, it's a little more complicated. Especially with cyano glue, which I use a lot for gluing PE. In summer, it is too hot and to keep an essential fluidity, I must clean and change my source of glue every 10 minutes. And in Winters (as now), there is not enough humidity in the air (due to the ducted heating). Result, it takes more than 2 minutes to have an almost solid bonding. So I recently invested in an air humidifier. Ultimately, I hope to have more conclusive results than today.

On the painting of the ship, I studied the photos for months and on each there is no continuity. On one the elements are painted in a certain color and on others the same element is painted in a different shade. The problem is that it is impossible to date the photos and sometimes to identify the vessel in its class.

So I made my idea by referring to two photos.

For the colors, I used the color from WEM for the bridge and for the rest I used for the first time paints of the brand Mr. COLOR (as indicated on the assembly instructions). For the latter, it is the first and especially the last time. Much too harmful as a paint. More unpleasant to use than enamel paints. Infection in the room (even with the window open and the use of a vacuum paint booth).

I have an air purifier in my office. After using M. COLOR paint, the air indicators were all purple red, more than 850 nanoparticles. While with other paints they only go up to values ​​between 300 to 350 and as normal a value around 10 to 20.

Coming back to the ships, I spent more than 4 weeks fitting the covers for the KIROV. This time spent is explained by the fact that I put almost everything on the model before starting the painting. But to enhance the thing. On Russian ships, there is a red and white border at the bottom of each vertical wall in contact with a red surface. So I painted all of these surfaces, then put in place a cover 0.7 inches high. A real pleasure.

I made the choice to make the markings in white on the flight deck in paint. Because the decals did not give me confidence.

I show the pictures of the rough formwork paint. I’ve finished removing the last mask this morning. I did not paint the portholes and other details. And above all I have not started the filter phase and other phases of aging of the ship.

I take this opportunity to wish you all a happy New Year.

Sincerely.
Alain.

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:24 pm 

Very inspirational :thumbs_up_1: . I have both models at home and I'm already getting a taste for them.

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:15 am 

Hello everyone,

First, I would like to wish you my best wishes for this new year.

I am posting a major advance on my project on Russian ships. I finished 98% of the base paint with an airbrush. There are still some mats, the service boats and one or two little things to the right or to the left.

When I dived back into the painting instructions for the ships, I realized that I had chosen the wrong color. Normally I should have used M. Color 334 paint when I used M.Color 35. But hey, that's fine with me. In addition with the juices, the tint will change in a darker shade.

The most off-putting phase having passed, I will therefore start a much more interesting phase.

I'm going to start by finishing the paint with a brush on the Slava (windows, doors, deck lighting lamps, etc.) Then a coat of Klir before starting to install the filters.

I have been on this site for over 18 months. I found that the latter was not advancing. But looking at the latest photos and the amount of work accomplished the time spent seems reasonable to me.

Make way for photos.

On the following photo. On the front you have the doors of the Kirov helicopter hangar. I completely redone them in PE and they will be opened with a helicopter in the hangar. On the Slava class ship the hangar will also be open.

In the following photo, I have set up the name of the photoetched vessel. I will do the same for the class slava.

Good day to all of you.

Sincerely.
Alain.

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:02 pm 

Alain,

Your work is exceptionally beautiful.

I am very happy to see the progress you have made. This will be, at least until you next :big_grin: , a magnum opus.

One question: What is your technique for bringing the red paint along the base of the structures? I saw you placed a cover of .7 mm, yes?

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:45 am 

Good morning all,

With containment, the Kirov site is advancing at high speed.

I arrived at the most pleasant moment on a montage. It is when all the sub-assemblies are finished and that the moment of the final assembly and arrived.

In my last post I was more than reserved on the result of the painting phase. But the more I move forward and put it all together I think it will do it very well.

Here are the latest photos. I only show one side, because the other has yet to be done.

There is still a lot of work to be done, but with homogenization of wear on the whole ship it will give a nice set.

I opted to make a lot of signs of wear and again I remained moderate in view of the photos of the real ships of that time.

I'm not talking about class ships that have been reconfigured in recent years, which have super clean paints.

I wish you a good continuation and take patience with this confinement.

Best Regards

Alain.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:48 am 

The details are impeccable.

The subtle finishing makes everything look "bezumno krasivaya" :nod_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:46 am 

Incredible work. The weathering is perfect.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

Report this post