The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:32 pm 

This is some very impressive scratchbuilding, and I really like how you extended the hanger near the side elevator. You are adding so many tiny details and I have no idea how you build so fast. I'm working on some small JMSDF boats and you totally outpace my work even though you are doing things you've never tried before.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:56 pm 

'septic', Thanks Again!! :thumbs_up_1:

To be honest, I thought I was going too slow.... progress has been slowed down during X-mas/New Year break, with being with my Immediate family, only. Helping out wife with the meals a bit and Most of the cleaning, but I like doing the cleaning!! I have always 'enjoyed' cleaning bathrooms since my time in the Navy, Twenty (20) year Vet here!! And to answer your question it has to do with Being in the Navy all the time!

Since being in the Navy, I remember what my hangers looked like......believe me.....they are A LOT more messy than what my hanger decks look like. Lockers, A/C moving parts, ladders, stores for electrical, overhead catwalks, etc. even different color lockers, and emergency equipment. I think that when I get to my bigger scale ships (350 scale) I will probably get Really Crazy outfitting those hangers...lights, grease spots, Very weathered decks, and equipment galore. I just think that since I have been dealing with smaller scale ships, that the 'practice' will (hopefully) give me an advantage in detailing.

BUT, I have seen a few modelers doing a Superb job in detailing their hangers!!

The next time I post, I hope that my 1st Time Rigging comes out well, I had a few recommendations I gave myself WHEN I do this again :jump_1:

I was hoping to finish doing the Main paint job today, but got a bit side-tracked when wife asked me to help out with din-din & the weather is kinda cooperating here in SoCal, but we could get rain early this week.

This is the photo that I wanted to show Pre-Rigging....( Big mistake, should rig first then attach to platform/mast )

M

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:24 am 

'Dan K' Riggin' is a little fun.... :eyebrows: and at times a little bit frustrating :mad_1: .

Still trying to figure out why the different rigging materials?? Is one better (material-wise) 'better' than the other??

I Kinda like (ModKast) because it is so rigid and you can just measure, cut, and glue onto your mast. But I Guess with weather considerations and temp being the Biggest factor, those metal wires get pulled and pop-off ( at least that is my guess ) so that is why the (MIG) rigging ( nylon {??} ) is SO stretchy, but the Problem is that it is like P-hair....I you know what I mean!! Still trying to figure out how to finalize the attachment onto flag-bags.

As far as pennants/flags I'm going to glue it (white glue) decal to AL foil to give it that wavy appearance. I have seen that method a few times....looks do-able.

But as I mentioned putting these lines on Should be Very Methodical!! I would guess paint the platform/mast 1st!! Using a pair of mag-lens 'thread the Needle!!' in this case those Very Small but, again, do-able rigging holes ( it seems easier with [ModKast] ) and a Neat trick using tweezers and clothes pins to make a clamp. Using a set of tweezers w/o the serrated tips, I grip the PE that I need, but instead of holding the tweezers until my hand goes Numb ( :eyes_spinning: :rolf_3: !!! ) I slip a old wooden clothes pin to Grip the tweezers --> Thus gripping the PE very well without it flinging it into orbit!! :Oops_1: It's just the Micro-Surgery part that you need A LOT of patience!!!

M

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:23 pm 

R I G G I N G !!!!!

THAT is now my most Biggest challenge!!!

Many years ago, I thought that painting the tail codes was tough....then came a sponsor that made decals for those in 1/700 ( CHECKED ). Then photo-etch was a big challenge...dealing with Krazy Glue, toothpicks, and tweezers!! ( CHECKED ). Then research for a certain time line for ships....then DVD's with info on ships came out showing Every knuc-&-cranny!! ( CHECKED ). Lastly, finding ships SO Unknown, like A/C carrier from Thailand...then came 3D printed ships ( CHECKED ).

NOW it is rigging!! :twitch: :puppy_eyes:

Not sure if I'm doing it right or not, but I thought out the process of doing this in order: 1) Paint platform/mast that you want to attach rigging to, 2) This is an Option, but I got myself some 5-Star rigging rings that I shown in a previous post, it seemed to work well in spacing lines, but glue those next, 3) Attach a good enough bit of line for over-lapping purposes, so if length was 3cm, go to 3.5cm, 4) Glue entire mast to (in this case) the island with rigging lines set to go [ But a major problem developed....will explain later ], 5) Make a elevated platform above your workbench to match near eye-level of project and use/tape down white background with a LOT of light to shine onto project, 6) BRING Plenty of PATIENCE....Breathe.....BREATHE DEEP!! :shock: :big_eyes:

Well, for my first attempt it turned out ...... okay......

I first attach the rigging rings onto the platform....( WRONG ), then ran lines thru the rings ( Wrong, Wrong ), because I did this I didn't have a chance to paint the platform.....so I had to decant a little paint from a spray can and hand brush the platform w/o getting paint on the lines....

As you can see I have different material for 'lines'....ModKast are for radio lines (VHF I believe) and MIG for my sig-flags. But as you can see the MIG lines are All Over the Place!!! :mad_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:23 pm 

R I G G I N G -- Part Deux!!

Now to attach my rigging onto the ship!!!

My rigging material ModelKasten (ModKast) and MIG rigging (MIG) are of different materials....ModKast is a Metal Super-thin wire, while MIG is a type of a synthetic (nylon, polyester, polypropylene line {I believe}). As mentioned in a previous post....ModKast is being used for radio lines, MIG for sig flags. But here is/are the problem(s): 1) MIG line gets/got twisted, not sure if it is my fault or just the way it comes out, 2) the ModKast is Not forgiving as it doesn't bend and once it is Krazy Glued it will not Shift....as you'll see later in picts, 3) Make Sure that you have enough MIG line to loop around the flag bags (as I did in a few lines), 4) TWEEZERS (plural), ample Krazy Glue, and a platform to keep work at eye-level, instead of having to lower head to do work was Extremely Beneficial!!

Conclusion......

The MIG line was okay, but I was getting frustrated in looping under those flag bag attachments where the Actual sig-flag line attaches, and Not having enough line....I need more line....AND the MIG line being cut short by my tweezers. I guess that I should do the attachment of lines to Both attachment points ( in my case the platform and flag bag ) making DANG sure that it is measured accurately, glue the rigging rings onto the platform first, then gluing down the flag bags onto the deck of the ship.............MayBe the next time I attempt to do this.....I need to find out if ModKast bends at least to make an angle. The Good thing about ModKast.....at least it was easy to slip thru those rigging rings!!!! :mad_2: ModKast wire can Probably be substituted for sig-flag line, just measure it with dividers ( which I have ), but I should also check to see if IT can Be Bent in maybe PE folder?

Will I be doing this again.........I think so, knowing what I know now, and what I hope to glean from my fellow modelers.....So PLEASE, :help_1: :please: what do you think of my method(s), my eval on products, what tips do you have??!!?

Will I be using the same products??? I guess the rigging rings are okay....I noticed that ( I guess ) Many modelers Don't use the 5-Star Rigging Rings, but I like the spacing and ability of being able to thread thru the MIG and ModKast lines. I mean both lines are fine and portray what I want, I need to experiment if there is a way to make a sig line sag...as flags and pennants fly...the lines are not Totally taut....so is there a way to make lines sag??

OR

Maybe I'll just use stretched sprue...... :jest: :yeah:

M

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:59 am 

So I was able to repair a 'radio antenna' and just before I "caged" some 'crew' in the refueling control station onboard JS Kaga. Here are some of the crew before and after being 'caged'!! { Getting pretty comfortable placing crews on/around the ship. The next will be on the FD }

Some of the crew are 1/800 from Eduards PE.....I bought these for my Arii kits and 1/700, but combining them will show some difference of height of crews...even going so far as getting crew from 5-Star PE, but those I have to paint.

So this will be my last post before the New Year......Hoping Everybody a "BETTER New Year!!" and I'll see you, or better read from you on the Flip-side!

M

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:03 pm 

It's been awhile since my last posting but w/o further ado.... let's get crackin'!!!!!

I'm now nearing the end of the JS Kaga build, I want to point out that the PE from Hasegawa was Very Good, strong (not flimsy nor Too thin), detailed PE, even having rotors for the PitRoad kit.....but there were some missing items I wished they have included. For instance there are No folded rotors, though it does have rotors for helos for what is Currently onboard --> SH-60 and MCH-101. The longer the PE the shorter it became, especially with the netting around the stern of the FD and a bit around the corners of the port bow netting, but with careful measuring I was able to overcome those obstacles :whistle: . BUT I must say....when installing the netting of the Hasegawa PE onto my PitRoad model, the PE has these 'attachment points' on the PE that makes a BIG difference in installing that netting!!! :jump_1: . Painting the kit was a snitch... using the previous build of my pass JMSDF ships I stuck with the same paint job, I Must NOTE.....using Model Master Neutral Gray WILL Show up.....it Does NOT blend well with the JMSDF 'haze gray' well, (you'll see that in the netting and a little bit on the railings). The Helos are Just Fantastic!!! :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: the detail on PitRoad helos I don't think, can be beat, since I was able to have a few helos from Skywave, those were 'trash'/hanger AC, but WOW what a difference with torpedoes and MAD Boom attachment on helos....a REAL work of art!!! Here are a few photos of almost completed work.

On the last photo, I intend to have the 'Merlin' being pushed out onto the elevator by a 'mule' with ships crew assisting, the tape and 'plastic brace' are for gluing purposes only.

The last Major hurtle is setting the LEDs making sure that they are functional was checked on last night...no worries!! :thumbs_up_1: :big_grin: Wish me luck on arrangement/placement of those. Then Last thing is decals for the hull, which is Usually the last thing I do before 'Commissioning The Ship' for me

M

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:05 pm 

JS Kaga is finished!!!! :woo_hoo:

Just to add her onto the electrical stand for some Final photos, finish making video, Complete Another Kaga, & glue down some final netting and small pieces. I just want to thank the many modelers here who helped me out on the DDH project from JS Haruna -> JS Kaga ( -> and a little beyond with JDS 'Ibuki' )!

They were all Fun builds, placing interiors where none existed in the kits, to staying true to color and finding some 'close' alternatives, to New references that I didn't know about, to woodworking/power tools/electrical "stuff" and of course building an interesting subject(s).

And although this is technically my last DDH, I still plan on building the "off-shoot" of JS Osumi, ( Which "I" thought was going to be a type of A/C carrier when I was younger!! :huh: ) and a replenish ship to boot to 'pal around' with the fleet of the Japanese Maritime Self-Defense Force!!!

In the meantime, here are some photos of JS Kaga....

I will post some pics of Kaga lit up from interior shots, but Probably need a better camera to take them in..... so Stand-By!!

M

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:28 am 

ARGGGHHHH!!!!!! ( Charlie Brown voice )

I have yet to update and finish and transfer JS Kaga to the 'completed side'..... just ran into a bit of a mental block. I want to photo/post pics of Kaga in it 'glory' with the new lighting system and photograph/video in a dusk/early dawn environment, but my camera ( which is probably 15 years old ) is acting a bit goofy, and Might need to be replaced :deadhorse: :puppy_eyes: . AND More importantly, I need to use my daughter's iPhone (if I can remove it from her EARS) for a better video presentation.

Just in a mental block with THIS ship and been working on IJN Kaga ( maybe seen my postings ) and make a video of BOTH ships!!! :cool_1: :thumbs_up_1: :cool_2: . That is my End Goal!!

So, Stand-by.... I'll get Kaga done soon.....

M

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:44 am 

GREAT NEWS!!!

Found some new inspiration in finishing JS Kaga.... while building this, Modern Kaga, I have been building the IJN Kaga of WW2 fame.

It was A Struggle building two (2) ships, let alone different 'species' of ships from the same country, but modern Kaga is finally worth beholding!!

Finally added my 'crew' on board, with their associated gear........ but strangely, as I was looking a picts of Real JMSDF sailors on a FD...didn't seem to find any with fire crews standing by, so I added them myself. You might see one testing his/her fire extinguishing agent.

Flags and pennants were a challenge, but with the help of fellow modeler on 'the Other Side' gave me some Great Tips in getting it down!!!

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:00 am 

And some new CIWS details with PE barrels. I ALWAYS Liked these PE barrels and have been using them in ALL my builds that have CIWS on their ships, and the Cool thing is that the PE sheet has all three (3) Blocks!!!

But it is the LIGHTS that are the MAJOR Part of this build of JS Kaga...... the photos do Some justice, but once I get my video recorded on YT.... I think that you all will appreciate it. And yes...I will post the link to it!! In the Meantime....

Even in the forward elevator bay.... is here I installed the FiOp, which was posted before, but I'll show it again with the crew onboard. Here is the elevator up.....

...and in its Down position....

....and lastly, looking across the FD, with forward elevator down.

The 'orange light' is suppose to represent the ship during "Darken Ship", one of my favorite lights I have had Great success in my recent builds, JS Hyuga DDH-181 and now JS Kaga DDH-184!!

And this probably will conclude my build series project of JMSDF DDH-class ships, it will not be the end of JMSDF ships..... I still have a couple more ships to build for this DDH Fleet, an 'off-shoot' of an LST-4001 Ohsumi ( which when the ship First came out, I thought that it could have been an A/C carrier... ) and a fleet oiler AOE-422 Towada.

M

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:31 am 

As with all my pics.... I like to make a video of my work and "Publish" it on YT.....

So this is Part 1 - "The Build".... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiarXuJJUU4

And Part 2 - "The Finish".... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4oRNZJmPIc

as you can see I had the inspiration of building JS Kaga with IJN Kaga as an after image, kinda like those old WW2 photos. But adding the soundtrack to "Tora Tora Tora", I just felt that would be a more emotional response!!

I also like to give a Special Shout OUT :destroyer: :yeah: to 'Dan K' on this side of "ModelWarships" and 'Rick' for assisting me on this build..... without any knowledge of IJN carrier, their assistance was GREATLY appreciated!! :thumbs_up_1: :cool_1: :surfer:

Although this will end my DDH project, it will not be my last JMSDF ship(s). I have enjoyed the YEAR ( and maybe a .25 of another ) of showing the Evolution of JMSDF DDH-type vessels..... Much work and research was done .... and I THANK All that assisted :wave_1:

Moderator....could you place this site on the 'Completed Work' side, Thank you. And I will check from time-to-time any replies you modelers will have. But I think that I might be going to a new genre ..... planes, OR maybe the 'Blue Dragon' could be next..... Stand-by, One.

M

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:56 am 

Nicely done.

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:05 am 

'Dan K', thanks a lot!! Couldn't have done it without your help 'on the other' IJN Kaga!! I'll be updating that ship shortly, since She is almost finished ..... MayBe I'll do a video of IJN Kaga also.

But as for the DDH program of JMSDF .... This Project is finished!! :woo_hoo: :jump_1:

This IS my first project that I finished [ DDH Project ], but it does not closed my JMSDF project..... just a couple more ships, but nothing further!! Gonna take a break, I think with ships, and move onto planes.

UPDATE: Just this weekend... somebody at my local pizza parlor asked me to do a ship of her Dad's ... a cruiser! BUT, this will be for a commission!!! AND it is a resin kit :eyes_spinning: :eyes_spinning: :huh: :scratch: . NEVER built a resin kit....although I have several resin kits and my own 350 scale ships that I serve onboard. I purchased some "Bleache White" solution, little intimidated on that type of build..... so that's why the planes-build.... I have a small plane to test and a TRON tank to perfect. Wish me luck!

Mario

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:32 am 

Congratulations on finishing this monster of accessories. I really think your lighting work is groundbreaking.

I learned a lot for my own build of the Kaga. The first lesson - I'm going to button everything up!

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:36 am 

Thanks a bunch, 'spejic'!! This was my last of my JMSDF DDH-type ships, but not the end of my JMSDF ships, as I mention in a previous post I still want to do an JMSDF AOE and their LST.... the funny thing ... as I was looking over the boxes and opening them again, I Found Photo-Etch for both of Them!!! :woo_hoo: :woo_hoo: :woo_hoo:

I also want to Thank YOU!! I think of your help when I first started building JS Haruna, early last year 2020P when I was looking for loser hulls for those ships!!!

I probably start on them once I have finished the GALVESTON build. Its my First resin kit, and I'm just worried about the paint job and getting it right!!!! :eyes_spinning: . I did wash it and used a toothbrush (soft) with dish soap and rinse, but I just here NIGHTMARES about people/modelers having Many issues in their masking and removing!!! ( I promise.....no Duct Tape!! :doh_1: )

As far as 'buttoning up' I left the FD un-attached, just in case I have to do some sort of repair in future!! OORRRRR, I could just mask on the inside, to prevent light-bleed! This is something that I need to work on especially if I get into lighting ...... Starships!!!!

I'll check in on this post from time-to-time to see if any comments come around.....Later.

M

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:45 pm 

Hello, All...... I want to give you an update on the Izumo-class DDHs which JS Kaga is a part of......

The Deployment/Evaluation of F-35Bs although these are USMC A/C they are launching and landing onboard JS Izumo DDH-183....this JUST happened a couple days ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MKSgb-gq9I

Even though the link is in Japanese, you get the idea!

Mario

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:01 am 

Here is a bit better video.... in English... of the same similar topic from my Japanese followers.... https://www.dvidshub.net/video/816439/u ... s-js-izumo

Found out that JS Kaga will be getting its upgrade in 2025 (P?)...so this post Might open up again!! :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:

Stay Tuned....

Mario

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 2:04 pm 

This is my culmination Project of my Fleet of JMSDF ships!!

Thanks to many of you who commented or gave me tips on my builds......could NOT have done this without Your help!!!

Enjoy my YouTube video of Phase I & II of my Fleet, but it will not be my last of JMSDF ships!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36vLBXdJzmM

:jump_1:

Mario M. Mares

Report this post