The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 11:26 am 

Good to see an update again. I like what I'm seeing ^^

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 6:07 am 

Very glad to see you back on this one! Looks really great! :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:

Can't wait to see what you'll do to the hull... ;)

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 6:18 am 

This is the part I've been waiting to do. It's the hull painting and weathering.
I settled on an interpretation that it was all different shades of grey, being applied at different times and weathered away at different rate.
The tide mark still needs more work. I think I rushed it too much.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 9:03 am 

Wonderful! :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:

Nanond wrote:

Looks quite ok to me. Only the transition from the tide mark to the grey hull colour can maybe be softened a bit.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 1:41 pm 

Wonderful work.

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 9:45 am 

Tide marks look a little too swoopy to me. But otherwise looking great!

GOing to be an awesome diorama. I will make a project like this one day, it has real life and calmness to it.

I hope this photo helps your colour conundrum, especially that brownish line. Just paint it as you see it. :)

I havent got the foggiest idea why is it this raw metal that weathered to this level. As far as I know a lot of footage of these is from like 1946. And some of them look like they were tinkered with, studied, salvage work has been done, they were made safer to walk on, etc. So you should ask some salvage guys really about what type of work they do to ships to understand why it looked the way it did.

I did my Haruna bow section from same time, and it also had a ton of stuff done to it, like piece of metal pipes welded into its side, etc. Certainly bizzare.

Source for pic, as you may be can buy the book: http://aeronautic.dk/Bookreview%20Japan ... War1-2.htm

Attachments:
BR-JapaneseWarshipAtWar1-2 018.jpeg
BR-JapaneseWarshipAtWar1-2 018.jpeg [ 101.52 KiB | Viewed 1522 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 4:51 am 

marijn van gils wrote:
Wonderful! :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:

Nanond wrote:

Looks quite ok to me. Only the transition from the tide mark to the grey hull colour can maybe be softened a bit.

Thank you, Marijn. I tried to soften it when I weathered that part. Maybe I'll have to do it more.

Dan K wrote:
Wonderful work.

Thank you, Dan.

JIM BAUMANN wrote:
I do like a sinker.... :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:

JIM B :wave_1:

I'm learning from your sunken German battleship too.

pascalemod wrote:
Tide marks look a little too swoopy to me. But otherwise looking great!

GOing to be an awesome diorama. I will make a project like this one day, it has real life and calmness to it.

I hope this photo helps your colour conundrum, especially that brownish line. Just paint it as you see it. :)

I havent got the foggiest idea why is it this raw metal that weathered to this level. As far as I know a lot of footage of these is from like 1946. And some of them look like they were tinkered with, studied, salvage work has been done, they were made safer to walk on, etc. So you should ask some salvage guys really about what type of work they do to ships to understand why it looked the way it did.

I did my Haruna bow section from same time, and it also had a ton of stuff done to it, like piece of metal pipes welded into its side, etc. Certainly bizzare.

Source for pic, as you may be can buy the book: http://aeronautic.dk/Bookreview%20Japan ... War1-2.htm

Thank you for your comments. I have collected what photos I could find and noticed that they were taken at several different times, with the ship's condition getting worse over time. I'm going with earlier setting where the blast bags were still in place and with lots of camouflage materials on board. The branches and trees will be challenging.

Cheers!
Nanond

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 4:54 am 

I've started weathering the superstructure and things are getting together. Once the hull is fixed on the base, I'll permanently fix all the components.

Nanond

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:30 am 

Great work Nanond! :thumbs_up_1:

Nanond wrote:
and with lots of camouflage materials on board. The branches and trees will be challenging.

I'm really looking forward to that! How will you do the bamboo mats?

For trees and bushes in 1/700, I was quite happy with the look I got here:

When not enlarged this extremely but seen in the flesh, it looks very effective I think.
They are small pieces of natural roots, with railroad modelling vegetation 'foam' stuck to it with white glue as foliage. I used the very loose, fine foam. They are painted, to blend them better with the rest of the scene, and to stop the foam from having a satin sheen.

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:56 am 

marijn van gils wrote:
Great work Nanond! :thumbs_up_1:

Nanond wrote:
and with lots of camouflage materials on board. The branches and trees will be challenging.

I'm really looking forward to that! How will you do the bamboo mats?

For trees and bushes in 1/700, I was quite happy with the look I got here:

When not enlarged this extremely but seen in the flesh, it looks very effective I think.
They are small pieces of natural roots, with railroad modelling vegetation 'foam' stuck to it with white glue as foliage. I used the very loose, fine foam. They are painted, to blend them better with the rest of the scene, and to stop the foam from having a satin sheen.

Those look really nice. I haven't decided yet what to use for bamboo mats and dried branches. Cut hemp rope might be good for bamboo sticks or tall reed seen on the deck in some photos.
Attachment:
Front view 02.jpg
Front view 02.jpg [ 138.06 KiB | Viewed 1399 times ]

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:45 am 
Model Monkey
Model Monkey

Brilliant.

-Steve L.

Complete catalog: - https://www.model-monkey.com/
Follow Model Monkey® on Facebook: - https://www.facebook.com/modelmonkeybookandhobby

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:30 pm 

ModelMonkey wrote:
Brilliant.

Thank you!

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:38 pm 

I started with colouring the sea base and fixed the hull in place. The superstructure pieces went in as well as PE pieces on and around the deck.

After taking the last pic of the bridge, I noticed that I've missed an extension of the bridge wing, next to the signal lamp, seen in this well-known shot. It will be added next time I'm at the bench.

Nanond

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 7:39 am 

Any more updates to this awesome build? :)

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 8:55 am 

pascalemod wrote:
Any more updates to this awesome build? :)

Yes, finally, an update is coming :wave_1:
It will soon be finished at last.

Nanond

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:26 am 

Nanond wrote:

... to be brought to World Model Expo I hope? :big_grin: :wave_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:32 pm 

What is this world model expo and should one go...? :D I keep hearing everyone talk about it. May be I can find a model worthy of entry, but more importantly, can witness some awesome work. :)

And Aoba would be a fantastic entry indeed.

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:50 am 

marijn van gils wrote:
Nanond wrote:

... to be brought to World Model Expo I hope? :big_grin: :wave_1:

:heh: :heh: Ticket booked, models registered, a model not finished yet :big_grin: :big_grin:

pascalemod wrote:
What is this world model expo and should one go...? :D I keep hearing everyone talk about it. May be I can find a model worthy of entry, but more importantly, can witness some awesome work. :)

And Aoba would be a fantastic entry indeed.

Thank you for following my work. Here is some more update.

The ship was pretty much done. I had been thinking about the bamboo and camouflage material for a long time, especially on the stern. In the end I just cut up some hemp fibre. The bamboo frame on the main guns was stretched sprue and some plastic bits and pieces. Cutting the railing while leaving only the poles is quite a boring task... There was quite some amount of debris across the deck which I will gradually fill in but I want to be careful not to have too much of them.

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:52 am 

Nanond wrote:
:heh: :heh: Ticket booked, models registered, a model not finished yet :big_grin: :big_grin:

Great news! I'm looking forward to seeing you there (and the finished or unfinished model :big_grin: )!

Nanond wrote:
There was quite some amount of debris across the deck which I will gradually fill in but I want to be careful not to have too much of them.

Don't be too careful, because the debris will be important for giving 'character' to the model. ;)
Just follow the photos of the real thing and keep it in-scale, and it should work out fine!

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 1:40 am 

pascalemod wrote:

It is the World Model Expo in Veldhoven.

It is a huge show that is organized only every three years, each time on a different location and by a different local organization, but backed by an international committee.
This time it is on the location and by the organization of the annual SMC (Scale Model Challenge) show.

The World Expo is traditionally figure-centric, but because of the strong tradition of SMC with plastic modelling we can be sure of a very strong turnout for this too, especially after Covid. The strongest will be armour for sure, but I'm expecting a good number of ship models too! ;)
Anyway, I'll be there for the full 3 days, and I'm looking forward to it a lot! :)

For more information: https://www.wme2020.com/

Report this post