The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:01 pm 

Hi
I`ve followed this thread with intrest and have digested all the new info to hopefully include in my build. I also have a question for all u Hood experts. I have purchased the loinroar and WEM PE sets,the WEM set has a replacement splinter sheild for the rear 4" gun which led me to notice the moulding on the rest of the splinter shields on the shelter deck (4" and up lunchers) thicken as they lower so ive decided tu replace with scrachbuilt to visually match the WEM pe. My question is would thease sheilds have any angled supports , and the up luncher sheilds did they have doors or steps to enter them as the moulds seem to be fully enclosed ??????
I have reaserched the internet and have Bruce Taylors hood but find so much detail info missing, Apart from the obviouse are there any sourses i have neglected ???

thanx for any help :thumbs_up_1:

Last edited by MartinL on Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:25 pm 
Quote:
My question is would thease sheilds have any angled supports , and the up luncher sheilds did they have doors or steps to enter them as the moulds seem to be fully enclosed ??????

There are indeed many angled supports. Note that you have to take in account the position of the 4in ammo lockers when adding them.

The UP shield on top of B-turret has a ladder (and I guessed the supports overhere):

The other UP launcher shields have no doors. Part of the shield can hinge. Another brilliant observation of yours truly. Not visible on this particular picture, but look it up in your picture book and use some imagination.

Attachment:
UPhinge.jpg
UPhinge.jpg [ 32.58 KiB | Viewed 7382 times ]

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:59 pm 

Hi Molders and evo6tme,

I too have never seen a photo of an upper gaff on Hood. Having said that, I have seen her fly a small flag in roughly that position (in 1941 photos). Ted Briggs told me that this was the flag of BC1 (commanding admiral of the Battle Cruiser Squadron...in this case, VADM LE Holland). I can't tell if that was attached with a gaff or just a line though.

Angled Supports- As Evert-Jan said, there were indeed angled supports on the inside of the various splinter shields. We do have some decent shots of these on the Hood site. Try http://hmshood.com/crew/memorial/b/bark ... rtbio2.htm as well as some of our photo collections. There should be enough there to get you started.

Speaking of "angles" also remember that some of the splinter shielding was actually "angled". For example, the forward splinter shielding around the forwardmost twin 4" mounts. If you look at photos, you'll see that the shield does not remain level with the deck, but angles upward at the front.

Frank

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:16 am 
From the picture with the angled supports and the 4" ready-to-use ammo locker, it would seem two styles of locker hatches are used. With and without that sitffening cross. I guess that the lockers of the first batch of 4in guns are plain, and the later versions have that cross?

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:40 am 

Hi all,

i really dunno if i should remove the Gaff. It will be hard to remove and only with several collateral Damages.
Allen talked about the Flag of VA Holland seen such as seen by Ted Briggs. I guess i know which Pic he means. This brought me to the Conclusion there was one, but its more presumable it wasn't.
I think i gotta live with that.
Anyway...
I found a Pic about angeled Supports on a different Spot. Maybe it´s useful for your Project evo6tme.

Attachments:
Hood Rear Funnel and Shelterdeck.jpg
Hood Rear Funnel and Shelterdeck.jpg [ 354.61 KiB | Viewed 7378 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:55 am 
Also note on that picture:

- supports for the deck cranes on the splintershields the forward searchlight walkway
- the splinter shield on the aft starboard 4" is higher on the transverse shields
- the diesel exhaust pipe configuration against the tripod leg and protection. I guess from the admirals barge when lifted by the main crane?
- a white square below the outer-most right searchlight. I believe this is a cushion where the admirals barge is restricted in rearward movement.
- to the right of the admirals barge boat cradles, you can see one of six ammo hatches with a hoisting frame spread around the shelterdeck
- No hatch to the rear of the UP launcher splinter shields
- the white band around the tripod doesn't go around the primary support leg

The quality of this particular version of the picture is poor, but it does show the frame on X-turret. Also, it shows that the main crane derrick pulleys, and that the top one is a double pulley. Slightly different from other RN and IJN versions, indicating that the rigging on most PE parts is wrong (plus that some PE parts do not have a cable to the hook itself, but have all wires handling the crane boom elevation. This makes no sense. There is a pully in the far end of the crane derrick which is now unused. The designer apparently didn't take the time to understand the working of that crane.)

Anyway, this is a wonderful picture, thanks for posting :wave_1:

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:21 am 

@Foeth
if u want i can try to scan it in better Quality. Shall i try?

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:28 am 
I have a scan of the original at many pixels ;) Thanks for offering :thumbs_up_1:

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:51 am 

thanx that helps alot :thumbs_up_1:

Its amazing how i can go over a picture coutless times and miss things as i have that picture on my HD, i thing my detective skills need improving, or mybe my eyesight :big_grin:

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:37 am 

What a great bunch of builds,makes me want to build my two BB's. :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :big_grin: :wave_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:17 am 

Maybe its Time to update something. I am back in Buis at the Hood and prepare for the final Run.
After a long Time of thinking i decided to avoid the X-Frame at Turret X and use the PE. May others get ahead an construct such fabulous Things like @Foeth and @evo6tme. But the Signalmen´s Shelter is a good Idea i thought and i changed the HACS like shown at http://www.hmshood.com/hoodtoday/models ... mpeter.htm.
Unfortunately it was to late to change the Superstructure at Compass Platform so my Shelter is a Compromise.
Anayway...let there be Pics

Furthermore i changed the Boats a little more to the Shape of a Steam Pinnace.
The Colors are inspirited by old Paintings of small Boats.

The Pom Poms are finished as well

Currently i change the Colors of the Blastbags into bright grey, near Hull Color. A lot of small Stuff to do, but i want to finish it soon. So the next Update will get along soon as well.
Greetz! :wave_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:53 am 
Nice to see some progress!

Small tip: note that the aft HACS MkIII controller was always facing forward.

The little boats look nice as well (even though HMS Hood didn't carry them). This isn't too bad, boats and launches seem to be a particularly difficult subject to get right for kit manufacturers. In fact, I haven't been able to find any information on one of these little ships.

And you're probobaly the first with the correct shelters for the forward HACS directors :thumbs_up_1:

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:22 am 

Awesome work there, Mölders!
Its good fun to watch your progress!
Guido

Never wear your best trousers when you go out to fight for freedom and truth. - H. IBSEN

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCk8zhb1sc4Pe3BRLqq3d-SQ

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:45 am 

:thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:38 am 

Looking good there, :thumbs_up_1:

Nice to see some more of the new finds from the hood site being used :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:45 am 

Nice work as always. :big_grin: :thumbs_up_1: :wave_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:13 pm 

Thanks a Lot Gentleman! It would be a different Model without your valuable Input and Inspiration! :thumbs_up_1: :wave_1:
And...what a Pity....the aft HACS is already fixed and not removable.....
Maybe they run some Exercises in the Moment..... :big_grin:

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:54 pm 

Location: About 50 miles away from the Gulf of Mexico ( traveling W is you do so :)
This is Mouth watering :big_eyes: !!!, keep up the good work dude

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:08 am 

:big_grin: :big_grin: :big_grin: Thank You, Soca! :big_grin: :wave_1:

I checked a Picture inside the Anatomy and i found some strange vertical Rods. The Picture is described with "Hood in Scapa shortly before her loss" so it gotta be in 41 before her last Sortie.
Does anyone have a Clue what it could be, or what´s the Purpose?
Thanks in advance! :wave_1:

Attachments:
P1003301.JPG
P1003301.JPG [ 90.86 KiB | Viewed 7217 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:12 am 
Nothing the see in addition to what is know know (I think?), except that A turret is once more lighter in color that the rest of the ship. I've seen several pics of this color difference.

But my guess is those are special "we fixed something next to HMS Hood rods", possibly on shore or a ship moored next to her. But not on HMS Hood.

Report this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next