The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:44 pm 

That is is a remarkable body of work-- a lot of thought has been expended,
and the sources of your results are widely varied!!
:thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:

Thank you for your detailed explanations and images--
all of which serve to illustrate very the work done

JIM B :wave_1:

IPMS UK SIG (special interest group) www.finewaterline.com

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:20 pm 

Thanks, Jim. :)
I'm just trying to be creative, imaginative........and having fun. Which is what modeling should be about. :thumbs_up_1:
But.........I also try a little bit to be realistic too. I do research and take some cues from the following sites:
Navweaps.com
Seaforces.org
Navsource.org
.......and various Wikipedia articles on weapon systems.

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:16 pm 

really really cool build! Wow, so much thought went into it.

Cant help but wonder if the hull itself could use some slight mods - at least may be changing the bow shape or something. Or may be it is fine as is to give away the Iowa heritage.

You plan it to sit same low in water as the battleship, or should it ride a bit higher as it would lack all that heavy weight?

Looking forward to the turrets and how it will look painted.

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:05 am 

pascalemod wrote:

Cant help but wonder if the hull itself could use some slight mods - at least may be changing the bow shape or something. Or may be it is fine as is to give away the Iowa heritage.

You plan it to sit same low in water as the battleship, or should it ride a bit higher as it would lack all that heavy weight?

Yep, keeping the Iowa hull as is to give away the heritage. ;)
I'm not going to make a water base. The model will sit on some sort of stand.
I'm not sure what to do or have for main gun turrets yet. My options were all explained back on Page 1 of my thread.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:56 am 

EJM wrote:
pascalemod wrote:

Yep, keeping the Iowa hull as is to give away the heritage. ;)
I'm not going to make a water base. The model will sit on some sort of stand.
I'm not sure what to do or have for main gun turrets yet. My options were all explained back on Page 1 of my thread.

I meant it as in, will the model sit higher in water or lower as as a carrier it should displace a bit less I suppose?

So you will have probably higher freeboard. Like modern Iowas as decommissioned also sit higher in water, but due to other reason. Sorry if I wasnt clear with my comment. :)

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:50 pm 

Quote:
I meant it as in, will the model sit higher in water or lower as as a carrier it should displace a bit less I suppose?

So you will have probably higher freeboard. Like modern Iowas as decommissioned also sit higher in water, but due to other reason. Sorry if I wasnt clear with my comment. :)

I'm not concerned with freeboard, displacement, and all that. I'll let other people worry about that if they want to.

Now........another long overdue update on past days and weeks progress:

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:53 pm 

Another update.

Last edited by EJM on Wed Aug 25, 2021 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:58 pm 

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 1:02 pm 

98% DONE! This is "almost" the final pictures of my model. BUT.........I still have three more things to do yet:
1. Add more photoetch fire hoses around the ship as soon as I am able to buy more.
2. Add main gun turrets. Easier said than done. Still searching Shapeways. :Mad_6:
3. Finish building display base. (Currently doing that today.)
So........this is it for pictures for awhile. No new pics until I get the above three things done.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 1:07 pm 

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 1:55 pm 

Fantastic.

The four panels at the top of the mast are for the CEC (Cooperative Engagement Capability), which allows ships and aircraft to network/share targetting data, so that's quite an important bit of kit for the ship.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 3:40 pm 

Timmy C wrote:
Fantastic.

The four panels at the top of the mast are for the CEC (Cooperative Engagement Capability), which allows ships and aircraft to network/share targetting data, so that's quite an important bit of kit for the ship.

Thanks, Timmy. I didn't know that. But now I do. ;)

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:12 am 

EJM wrote:

I'm not concerned with freeboard, displacement, and all that. I'll let other people worry about that if they want to.

Now........another long overdue update on past days and weeks progress:

OK, good luck with the build.

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:15 pm 
I’ve been enjoying following this build. I think it’s great how much thought you put in to what this ship might look like.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:34 am 

What a interesting build =)

I read the first two post then I went for some hot chocolate and I just now finished reading :D

What I find most amusing whit these “what if” is that nothing is wrong, nor right for that matter, just pure creativity.

About the main gun turrets, I have a thought. Bear with me (:

The launch of the General Ford has had some discussions whether the navy perhaps took a bit too many innovative steps and put all eggs in one basket, like the steam- or magnetic launch system. Anyway; a next generation battleship is supposed to be functional as well and having all the main guns being railguns, plasma, laser or whatever could be devesting if someone “pulled the plug”.

What if turret #1 and #3 stayed true to the well tested ballistic shells and turret #2 went next generation?
That way the navy would have that “next generation hybrid” ship that still would be able to punch back regardless of possible situation.

Great build and keep the steam up :D

Slava Ukraini

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 2:12 pm 

Chippmunk wrote:

The launch of the General Ford has had some discussions whether the navy perhaps took a bit too many innovative steps and put all eggs in one basket, like the steam- or magnetic launch system. Anyway; a next generation battleship is supposed to be functional as well and having all the main guns being railguns, plasma, laser or whatever could be devesting if someone “pulled the plug”.

What if turret #1 and #3 stayed true to the well tested ballistic shells and turret #2 went next generation?
That way the navy would have that “next generation hybrid” ship that still would be able to punch back regardless of possible situation.

When I first started this project long ago, I thought of many different options for keeping or not keeping the main gun turrets:
a) Keep all 3 main gun turrets.
b) Keep #'s 1 and 3 main gun turrets and replace #2 with VLS.
c) Remove all 3 main gun turrets and replace with VLS.
d) Keep #'s 1 and 2 main gun turrets and replace #3 with VLS or an aft flight deck and hangar.
e) Replace 16"/50 turrets with single barrel electromagnetic railgun turrets.
..........etc., etc., etc.

I still haven't fully decided what I am going to do. :huh:
I DO know that I want to have three main gun turrets. But it's the style I am unsure about. One barrel, two barrels, or three?
I don't want to say the new turrets would be laser or plasma cannon based. That is just too futuristic.
I want to stay a little bit "down to earth", know what I mean?

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:51 am 

EJM wrote:
Chippmunk wrote:

When I first started this project long ago, I thought of many different options for keeping or not keeping the main gun turrets:
a) Keep all 3 main gun turrets.
b) Keep #'s 1 and 3 main gun turrets and replace #2 with VLS.
c) Remove all 3 main gun turrets and replace with VLS.
d) Keep #'s 1 and 2 main gun turrets and replace #3 with VLS or an aft flight deck and hangar.
e) Replace 16"/50 turrets with single barrel electromagnetic railgun turrets.
..........etc., etc., etc.

I still haven't fully decided what I am going to do. :huh:
I DO know that I want to have three main gun turrets. But it's the style I am unsure about. One barrel, two barrels, or three?
I don't want to say the new turrets would be laser or plasma cannon based. That is just too futuristic.
I want to stay a little bit "down to earth", know what I mean?

Think I know what you mean.

On one hand, I believe that one-barrel next generation whatever will suffice when looking at the brute force of a railgun for example. Having a couple of double barrel railguns within the next decade on a ship (if not going super CV size) seems a bit over the top.

On the other hand, since this is a great “what if” build why not go with what looks good for you and ignore the “accurate” part? (=
Don’t let the final details ruin this beautiful build :>

Slava Ukraini

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:33 pm 

Not much new, folks. This project is at a standstill. :( D.I.T.W. (Dead In The Water)
I met a guy at a model contest about 2 weeks ago who said he could possibly 3D print either of the first two turret options below.
So I emailed him to discuss things further. It's now 2 weeks later and I have not heard back from him. So I guess he's out as an option.
As for the third option below which is the Kotobukiya turret cannons, I am trying to have hope that my local model store might be getting those in, but my supply of hope is wearing quite thin right now. :( (Probably stuck on a ship at the Port of L.A.)
So it looks like I'll have to go with one of the four options you see from Shapeways. I'm not sure which yet.
Otherwise in other news, I ordered more photoetch fire hoses from Gold Medal Models as I still need to put more on my model.

Single gun turret
https://www.shapeways.com/product/9MUCR ... 2&li=shops

Mk.IV destroyer turrets
https://www.shapeways.com/product/GETEC ... arketplace

Large turrets
https://www.shapeways.com/product/58WLL ... arketplace

Dropship turrets
https://www.shapeways.com/product/44AEE ... arketplace

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:52 am 

I regret to inform everybody that this project is now officially.......SUNK. :(
All I had left to do was to add 3 main gun turrets. But due to various life issues that have suddenly crept up, that will not happen. Not for the remainder of this year and I'm not sure for how long next year. So, the model is getting packed up never to see the light of day again unless some miracle happens.

Sorry, folks. I tried, but just couldn't make it work.

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 6:49 pm 

I guess I'm going to say this is done.........provisionally.
I met another modeler at my local model club a few months ago who said he could help to 3D print the following railgun turret for me. But he won't be finished making any till January or February next year. :(
So until then, I made some regular 16" gun turrets and stuck them on my model. The 16"/50 main gun turrets were never supposed to be on this model. I am still hoping for the railgun turrets to hopefully get made and be added instead. But I built and added the regular 16" gun turrets because I'm too eager to see this model done and show it off to people. The 16"/50 turrets aren't glued in. They are removable and will be replaced when I do eventually get those railgun turrets made. Since I couldn't afford to get metal gun barrels, I drilled out the ends of the plastic barrels a tiny bit to give the illusion of hollowed out gun barrels. I did eventually take my model to a local contest on December 11th. It at least got a 3rd Place Plaque in the "1/350 & Larger Ships" category.

Report this post