The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:17 am 

Many years ago, I built a 1/350 scale Oct. 1943-May 1945 New Jersey out of the 1/350 scale Tamiya Missouri kit with an Iron Shipwrights resin rounded bridge and Eduard photo etch seen here:

Unfortunately, that model nose dived and was "destroyed." Many years have gone by since then and I told myself I would wait for a 1/350 scale kit of the New Jersey in her WWII fit. In recent years, Veryfire has released a "WWII New Jersey" kit. Unfortunately, this kit really represents New Jersey from July 1945 onward, where she saw virtually no combat. In this configuration, she bombarded Wake Island and then was Spruance flagship of the invasion / occupation force, but nothing else. Needless to say, I was disappointed by the copy paste route Veryfire took. While I may choose to pick up the Veryfire Missouri kit and convert that into New Jersey in 1/350 scale in the future, for now I've decided to try my hand at 1/700 scale.

I've purchased the 3d printed round bridge from model monkey and began some preliminary fitting and priming.

I have also purchased the deluxe detail set for the Tamiya 1/700 Missouri kit from Flyhawk. I chose the Tamiya Iowa kit over the Missouri kit because I had thought it would be an easier conversion. In reality, the Missouri kit might have been better, however Tamiya left all of the Missouri kits parts in the Iowa box so there really was no difference.

One thing I don't like, and I'm not sure if I'll go aftermarket to "correct" it, is Tamiya's choice of placement for the wood deck seams. They could not be worse. I believe the seams are exactly the same as they are on the 1/350 New Jersey/Missouri kits. I may buy an aftermarket wood deck and then paint it over myself. I find the prestained 20B decks to be off in color.

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:35 pm 

Looks like a fun project! Will you be able to get the starboard Bofors tub on bridge assembly to stay straight? One can print pretty thin and accurate shapes, but getting them to stay that way is sometimes problematic as the cured resins tend to be a bit flaccid in thin section. Keep us posted, projects displaying a ship at a certain time, requiring both research and considerable modifications is a creative challenge!

Best regards: Tom

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:14 am 

I have the same conversion in mind for the 1/700 Academy kit, with same parts purchased. A popular conversion, though not as overdone as usual 1945 Missouris, I think it will be fun to see how it turns out! I will follow with interest as you will be first going through the changes. The round bridge is not the only difference, the platforms and gun tubs around main structure and funnel plus a radar platform too.

Good luck with the build!

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:11 am 

With a new class the Captan had a lot of influence to have the shipyard start making modifications and additions! Surprised the SODAK's never really got an improved bridge. Perhaps too actively employed!

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:10 am 
Model Monkey
Model Monkey

Have popcorn, looking forward to the show!

Attachments:
giphy (1).gif
giphy (1).gif [ 303.89 KiB | Viewed 987 times ]

-Steve L.

Complete catalog: - https://www.model-monkey.com/
Follow Model Monkey® on Facebook: - https://www.facebook.com/modelmonkeybookandhobby
Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:57 am 

Work has definitely slowed, but not halted on this. I have since returned to work, am planning a wedding, and have just finished doing a variety of tasks at Mosquitocon, our NJIPMS show. I have picked up an accessory by JP Awards and Stilwell's book (first edition!) I believe I will build the ship during Leyte. It will definitely be set in water. I like the forlorn appearance of the MS-21 camo and may use a rock salt method, however at this scale it could be counter-productive?

It could be the film quality, but she looks rough here, considering she had (and still has) the most mileage out of all the Iowa's, it's to be expected
http://navsource.org/archives/01/062/016209d.jpg

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 11:19 am 

One of our board members, Hank Strub, is mentioned in Stillwell's book! Be interesting to see how your painting comes out in the end!

Regards: Tom

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:20 pm 

MS21 in 1/700 is tough one, you want it always lighter and greyer and more indigo than it really comes out.

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 5:52 pm 

Work continues.

Report this post