The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:49 pm 
Model Monkey
Model Monkey

Altering Trumpeter's 1/350 USS Yorktown CV-10, 1944 to her 1945 appearance.

After seeing some truly inspirational work on this site, I have decided to try some scratchbuilding techniques to improve Trumpy's 1/350 USS Yorktown CV-10 modifying the kit to represent the ship as she appeared after her October 1944 refit about the time her air group, Air Group 9, with others, sank IJN Yamato.

Thanks to Tracy White, Keith Bender, Keith Hufnagel, Abram Joslin, Timm Smith, Hubert Ortinger and many other modelers who provided information specific to USS Yorktown.

Inspired by these 1/350 scale Essex class models in particular:
Keith Hufnagel's
Kelly Quirk's
Andy Elwood's
John R. Haynes'
Pierre Marchal's

Attachments:
CV-10 1945 021006.jpg
CV-10 1945 021006.jpg [ 114.43 KiB | Viewed 16536 times ]
Model Monkey Flyer A5.2016.10.jpg
Model Monkey Flyer A5.2016.10.jpg [ 114.93 KiB | Viewed 11251 times ]

-Steve L.

Complete catalog: - https://www.model-monkey.com/
Follow Model Monkey® on Facebook: - https://www.facebook.com/modelmonkeybookandhobby

Last edited by ModelMonkey on Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:11 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:11 am 
Hello Steve and Forum, 'Marvelous Build'. As always the Yorktown camouflage pattern comes up as a topic of conversation. One of the reasons my build was so definite as to her appearance was the wonderful series of photos of available for that date. (early Oct. 44'). I was however curious as to your eventual rendering of Yorktown. Since Air Group 9 came aboard about the same time as her bomb strike (March 18 45') and her apparent next modification was not until April 45', did you intend to show her Camo pattern bomb blackened ,weather-worn, and covered with rust and primer scalds or with a fresh paint job and the April refit? I was tempted to do the former but felt it might be beyond me. You have put so much work into this project and are truly creating a masterpiece. I am curious to find out your final painting strategy. I'll be watching your updates with great admiration. Have fun! Keith Hufnagel

Report this post

Post subject: Re: CV-10 Camo
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:41 pm 
Model Monkey
Model Monkey

Thanks so much, Keith! It is your work that inspires me!

Keith Hufnagel wrote:
Since Air Group 9 came aboard about the same time as her bomb strike (March 18 45') and her apparent next modification was not until April 45', did you intend to show her Camo pattern bomb blackened ,weather-worn, and covered with rust and primer scalds or with a fresh paint job and the April refit? I was tempted to do the former but felt it might be beyond me.

We think alike! I'd like to try "her Camo pattern bomb blackened ,weather-worn, and covered with rust and primer scalds" but it might be beyond my skills as well. If I had the elevators up, I'd also be tempted to display the ship during landing operations and replicate the famous, dramatic crash scene of the Hellcat broken in two next to the island. Talk about giving the model some visual interest!

Thanks for all the inspiration, gentlemen!

Attachments:
File comment: Although the caption on this photo dates the "weather-worn, and covered with rust and primer scalds" ship to March, 1945, careful inspection of the quad 40mm Bofors fit reveals this photo to have been taken before the late 1944 refit. I suggest that this photo was actually taken in early-to-mid 1944.
CV-10 1945.03 Ms 33 10a.e.web.jpg
CV-10 1945.03 Ms 33 10a.e.web.jpg [ 166.98 KiB | Viewed 16535 times ]
File comment: Two of my favorite warships, USS Yorktown and USS North Carolina. And, fortunately for us, both survive and are preserved as museum ships within about three hours travel by car, one at Charleston, SC and the other at Wilmington, NC. You can see them both the same day. Yorktown today does look a lot different being extensively modified post-war. North Carolina today looks very much as she does in this wartime photo, camo and all. Interestingly, the view today from museum pierside for both ships is the same as in this photo. Despite Yorktown's obvious drawfing of North Carolina in size, the battleship displaces nearly twice that of the carrier.
CV-10 1945 and BB-55a.jpg
CV-10 1945 and BB-55a.jpg [ 85.85 KiB | Viewed 16535 times ]

-Steve L.

Follow Model Monkey® on Facebook: - https://www.facebook.com/modelmonkeybookandhobby

Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:38 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:46 pm 
Model Monkey
Model Monkey

Scratchbuilding techniques can be used to improve Trumpy's 1/350 USS Yorktown CV-10 modifying the kit to represent the ship as she appeared after her October 1944 refit about the time her air group sank IJN Yamato.

Thanks to Tracy White, Keith Bender, Keith Hufnagle, Abram Joslin, Timm Smith, Hubert Ortinger and many other modelers who provided information specific to USS Yorktown.

Inspired by these 1/350 scale Essex class models in particular:
Keith Hufnagel's
Kelly Quirk's
Andy Elwood's
John R. Haynes'
Pierre Marchal's

One comment on the kit as a whole: IMHO, it's the best plastic Essex class Yorktown available.

That being said, the Trumpy Yorktown kit suffers from some noticeable shape problems, some of which are easy to correct, others are not (boxy hull). Also, the kit does not accurately portray Yorktown at any time during her service history. Out of the box, the kit's features are a mix of Yorktown's 1944 and somewhat different 1945 appearance.

And the parts fit is awful. You will have to sand or trim virtually every part to correct shape problems, mold lines and ejector pin marks. The hull halves fit will require additional putty and sanding.

The GMM photo-etch sets are fantastic.

-Steve L.

Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:50 am, edited 7 times in total.

Report this post
 Post subject: 1/350 USS Yorktown CV-10
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:46 pm 
Model Monkey
Model Monkey

Summary of some of the changes to be made:

1. 40mm Quad Bofors mounts.
For 1945, the kit's Bofors mount count is correct but two of the port mount locations at gallery deck level will have to be lowered a tad.

2. Radar fit. Install the lattice tower and SC-2 on the starboard side of the funnel. On the port side near the forward edge there was a pole mast with an SG-A atop it. It appears to begin at the forward edge of the searchlight platform extending vertically upwards and ends above the level of the funnel cap ("The Fighting Lady", pages 136, 155 and "Warship's Data 5, USS Yorktown", pages 12 & 32).

3. "Reproducers" (loudspeakers) and other island details: use the GMM set.

4. Small pole mast on the funnel cap aft: enlarge it to include a yardarm topped by a small platform ("The Fighting Lady", page 155 and "Warship's Data 5, USS Yorktown", pages 12, 25 & 28 ). Use the small yardarm from the GMM set. Paint it dull black.

5. Incinerator exhaust pipe. The kit does not include one and it was very conspicuous on the real ship. The pipe was fitted to the starboard side of the island. The base of it exits the island about centerline of the funnel above the flight deck level (just below the 20mm gallery level) and extends at an angle up and forward of the searchlight platform, bending
several times, then straight upwards to above the funnel cap ("Warship's Data 5, USS Yorktown", page 12 & 45).

6. Starboard hangar deck catapult extension: for 1945 omit the extension
and replace with a small sponson. For pre-1944 refit use the kit's which is correct for a 1944 Yorktown. The hangar deck catapult was removed from Yorktown during the August-October 1944 refit ("Warship's Data 5, USS Yorktown", page 47).

7. Wind deflectors were installed on the forward splinter shields of the signal platform ("Warship's Data 5, USS Yorktown", page 12, and "The Fighting Lady", page 155). This is the pentagon-shaped platform with the Mk-37 Director on it forward of the tripod mast.

8. Piping on the hull exterior: is missing. This piping carried explosive aircraft fuel "AVGAS".

9. Compass: there should be a compass on the tripod mast's lowest triangular platform ("The Fighting Lady", cover). Yorktown carried the early tripod platform from the GMM set, not the late.

10. Ship's bell: (one of at least two) hung from the upper triangular platform on the tripod mast ("The Fighting Lady", cover).

11. Hangar deck needs a lot of work as will the gallery deck (the edge of the flight deck) which are bereft of any details a la Tamiya 1/350 kits.

12. Ship's whistle: make and install one on the port side of the funnel ("The Fighting Lady", pages 136, 155 and "Warship's Data 5, USS Yorktown", pages 12 & 32).

13. Two mooring rings "nostrils" are missing from the kit. They were located just below the bow 40mm Bofors tub.

14. Colors. The official US Navy design sheets for Ms 33-10a specify Light Gray 5-L, Ocean Gray 5-O, Navy Blue 5-N and Deck Blue 20-B. There has been some discussion that the colors applied to Yorktown were actually Pale Gray 5-P, Haze Gray 5-H and Navy Blue 5-N on vertical surfaces with Deck Blue 20-B on horizontal surfaces. Keith Hufnagel painted his the latter.

I recommend studying Tracy White's comments in the Calling All Essex Class Fans thread. He has done considerable research on this class.

Attachments:
File comment: Bofors Mounts. If you are modeling the ship as it appeared in late 1943 through Aug 1944, add one to the island and omit the two port side aft tubs extending outwards from just under the flight deck. Specifically, add one mount and its associated tub on a platform extending forward from the forward face of the island just aft and above the Number 2 Twin 5-inch mount as shown in the 1944 photo below. This Bofors nor its tub are included in the kit. Yorktown carried this mount when built and it was still in place through the summer of 1944 to include the "Great Mariannas Turkey Shoot" on June 19 of that year ("The Fighting Lady", page 136; and NARA photo 80-G-238298). This mount was removed in late 1944, probably during the Aug-Oct 1944 refit; it does not appear in any photographs taken after the refit. Look closely at the island forward in the NARA photo below and you'll see it just aft of the Number 2 Twin 5-inch Mount.
CV-10 1944.06 g238298.jpg
CV-10 1944.06 g238298.jpg [ 142.56 KiB | Viewed 16191 times ]
File comment: Radar fit for early 1945. Some of the reproducers (loudspeakers) appear in in this photo as small, boxy structures with multiple openings.
CV-10 1944.09 021050.jpg
CV-10 1944.09 021050.jpg [ 137.11 KiB | Viewed 16191 times ]
File comment: Mooring rings visible just under the bow 40mm Bofors tub.
CV-10 1944.10.06 Ms 33 10a.a.a.jpg
CV-10 1944.10.06 Ms 33 10a.a.a.jpg [ 151.15 KiB | Viewed 16191 times ]

-Steve L.

Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:51 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:49 pm 
Model Monkey
Model Monkey

The Island: New Bridge and Signal Deck

References indicate that some features of the kit's island are more accurate for a 1944 Yorktown (e.g. small, rounded bridge) while other features are more accurate for 1945 (e.g. Bofors configuration - see Note 1 below).

The most noticeable changes made to the island during the 1944 refit included the addition of an enlarged bridge, changes to the signal deck's port side, and the addition and relocation of radars.

GMM produces two superb PE detail sets for the Trumpeter kit and I will be using both for this build. They contain some very nice items, prominent in many photos of the real ship, such as the loudspeakers seen in the photo below.

Each Essex class ship was slightly different in radar fit. "Warship's Data 5: USS Yortown (CV-10)" by Robert F. Sumrall has terrific, detailed photographs of Yorktown's radar fit as it changed throughout her service life. The photo on Page 35 indicates where each of the GMM PE radars should be installed for Yorktown's 1945 fit.

The mast platforms located between the tripod legs are also GMM PE. The GMM parts are connected making them easier to align. To ensure that the platforms are positioned at the correct height, locate the upper platform so that it is even with the funnel cap service walkway (base of the cap).

Although the most dramatic alterations to Yorktown were made during the late 1944 refit, by the spring of 1945 additional railings had been installed along the funnel cap service walk and some other radar changes had been completed.

ShipCamouflage.com, a terrific reference, has the official, approved Ms 33-10a pattern used for Yorktown. (See below). Check photos to see how it was applied to the ship. Photos indicate there were minor variations.

Although I chose the colors stated in official design sheets for Ms 33-10a (5-L, 5-O, 5-N and 20-B), there has been some discussion that the colors applied to Yorktown were actually Pale Gray 5-P, Haze Gray 5-H and Navy Blue 5-N on vertical surfaces with Deck Blue 20-B on horizontal surfaces. Keith Hufnagel chose the latter for his terrific build. (See:
http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery/cv/cv-10/350-kh/kh-index.html)

Attachments:
File comment: Some kit parts have been modified to better represent the real ship. They include enlarging the structure below the forward 40mm Bofors tub and raising the funnel cap grills. The cap openings were given a new "ledge" made with .015x.040 styrene strip noticeable in the photo below. The GMM funnel cap grills were bowed slightly upward for a more correct humped shape then fixed to the ledge. In actuality the real ship did not have grills per se, the funnel cap was subdivided into rectangular compartments for each of the boiler uptakes. I think the GMM grills look very good and closely approximate the look of the compartmentalized funnel cap. I also added additional reinforcing fillets below some of the platforms and forward Bofors tub.
Steve Larsen IM003039a.JPG
Steve Larsen IM003039a.JPG [ 94.34 KiB | Viewed 16532 times ]
File comment: Here's the [b]island at about 80% complete.[/b] The Mark 37 Directors are from L'Arsenal and are big improvements over the kit parts in both size and detail. Cheers to our friends in Normandy!
The bridge wind deflector is made from .010x.030 Evergreen styrene strip (ribs) and .010x.040 styrene strip (facing). GMM includes beautiful brass parts to make this in their PE set but they were beyond my skills to install so I opted for styrene instead. The reinforcing fillets on the Mk-51 Director tubs are .010x.030 Evergreen styrene strips. They are slightly overscale at this point but will be trimmed down shortly. Notice the different types of reproducers (loudspeakers) on the island and their positions. These are GMM parts and there are seven installed.

Steve Larsen IM003099a.jpg
Steve Larsen IM003099a.jpg [ 196.4 KiB | Viewed 16532 times ]
File comment: The paint is Poly Scale brand Light Gray 5-L acrylic applied by Badger 200 airbrush.
Steve Larsen IM003101a.jpg
Steve Larsen IM003101a.jpg [ 189.25 KiB | Viewed 16532 times ]
File comment: Ocean Gray 5-O, Navy Blue 5-N and Deck Blue 20-B have now been applied. The island is ready for touching up and further detailing. Photos indicate that the interior of splinter shields on Yorktown were painted a dark color, probably Deck Blue 20-B carried up from the deck. This has been corrected since these photos were taken.
Steve Larsen IM003105a.jpg
Steve Larsen IM003105a.jpg [ 193.52 KiB | Viewed 16532 times ]
CV-10 1944.09 021050a.jpg
CV-10 1944.09 021050a.jpg [ 100.72 KiB | Viewed 16523 times ]
CV-9 Trumpeter f_tree.jpg
CV-9 Trumpeter f_tree.jpg [ 102.76 KiB | Viewed 16192 times ]

-Steve L.

Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:38 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:52 pm 
Model Monkey
Model Monkey

Shell (Hull) Plating

Replicating hull plating on a model can be accomplished many ways. In 1/350 scale the hull plates are very thin so the technique I chose replicates raised strakes using various layers of sprayed-on automotive red primer.

A ship's skin is made up of many steel plates and is called shell plating. Essex class ships' shell plating pattern is conspicuous in photographs. Careful study of photographs is necessary to learn the plating pattern and to determine which strakes overlap the others.

Tracy graciously sent me some photos of Lexington which were very helpful and Keith sent me scans of the actual ships' plating plans (thanks, gentlemen!)

Attachments:
IM003111a.jpg
IM003111a.jpg [ 188.09 KiB | Viewed 16197 times ]
File comment: USS Wasp. Note the dull brownness of the anti-fouling red compared to the red in the bunting.
cv-18a.jpg
cv-18a.jpg [ 112.93 KiB | Viewed 16197 times ]

-Steve L.

Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:20 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:52 pm 
Model Monkey
Model Monkey

Hull Plating Butt Straps

The vertical joints between hull plates above the waterline for most of the hull on the real ship were reinforced with metal strips called "butt straps" visible in photos below of CV-21. These have been replicated using 0.010 thick styrene strips glued to the strakes then sanded very thin after the glue hardened. See photos of the model later in this thread.

Attachments:
File comment: Photos, like those from Mr. Haskins shown in CASF of USS Boxer, can be a great help in adding plating detail to your kit's hull. Mr. Haskin's photos also give some indication of the location of hull rust patterns, something to keep in mind when it comes time to weather the model.
CV-21-13.jpg
CV-21-13.jpg [ 165.64 KiB | Viewed 16527 times ]
CV-21-10.jpg
CV-21-10.jpg [ 145.79 KiB | Viewed 16527 times ]
CV-21-12.jpg
CV-21-12.jpg [ 136.52 KiB | Viewed 16527 times ]

-Steve L.

Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:21 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:55 pm 
Model Monkey
Model Monkey

Hangar Deck detailing begins.

Using Anatomy of the Ship: The Aircraft Carrier Intrepid (AOTS) as a guide, the hangar deck can be further detailed and improved. Detailing the hangar deck is the most labor-intensive, scratch-building effort of this model.

To best see the hangar deck, the modeler will want to open some or all of the roller doors. I chose to open them all as well as vents on the kit's bulkhead parts. The PE hatches are from the GMM set.

The Trumpeter kit's hangar deck bulkheads are simplified in that many interior structural details have been omitted. Many of these details are visible from outside the ship when the roller doors are open. Omissions include the transverse flight deck supports. These supports look like transverse bulkheads jutting into the hangar bay and are very conspicuous on the real ship. The transverse flight deck supports carried the weight of the flight deck above and buttressed the ship's sides.

In order to properly fix the modified bulkheads to the hangar deck, several parts-locating blocks molded onto the hangar deck parts have been removed.

Attachments:
File comment: Photos and AOTS drawings indicate that the transverse flight deck supports were stiffened by vertical ribs. These ribs were not uniformly spaced on the real ship and were usually fixed to just one side of the support.
Steve Larsen IM003281a.jpg
Steve Larsen IM003281a.jpg [ 169.01 KiB | Viewed 16530 times ]
File comment: Starboard side, from the vent trunk (the sloped thingy) to the aft elevator well. Note two new transverse flight deck supports fore and aft of the elevator well. There are no stiffeners on either support according to AOTS. The small, white decks will have a rail installed later. AOTS drawings show no stiffeners or other details in the area above the vent trunk.
Steve Larsen IM003282a.jpg
Steve Larsen IM003282a.jpg [ 190.37 KiB | Viewed 16530 times ]
File comment: Starboard side, forward beneath the island. Note two new transverse flight deck supports. AOTS drawings show stiffeners on the transverse flight deck supports here are on the forward side only. The Conflagration Station has not yet been fabricated.
Steve Larsen IM003284a.jpg
Steve Larsen IM003284a.jpg [ 197.44 KiB | Viewed 16530 times ]
File comment: The transverse flight deck supports are visible through the open roller doors. Note shell plating detail in red.
Steve Larsen IM003285a.jpg
Steve Larsen IM003285a.jpg [ 162.21 KiB | Viewed 16530 times ]
CV-10 1943-1.jpg
CV-10 1943-1.jpg [ 41.58 KiB | Viewed 16520 times ]
IM004162b.jpg
IM004162b.jpg [ 199.63 KiB | Viewed 16194 times ]
CV-9 Trumpeter d_tree.jpg
CV-9 Trumpeter d_tree.jpg [ 193.15 KiB | Viewed 16192 times ]

-Steve L.

Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:34 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Report this post
 Post subject:
Model Monkey
Model Monkey

Hanger Deck, aft.

In order to continue, hangar deck bulkheads are fixed in place. The kit
parts fit here is terrible, due to the thickness of the hangar deck parts as Tracy
pointed out, so much sanding and putty was required on the hull exterior to close
the open joints. Some interior bracing of the starboard side vent trunk parts
was also needed as the kit parts came warped giving the assembled vent trunk
bulkheads a Coke bottle shape when viewed from above. The hangar deck is
now ready for detailing ("Light Labyrinths", ladders, ammo hoists, etc.), further
painting and cleanup.

Note that the larger roller door tracks have been replaced by Evergreen I-beam
strips.

Attachments:
File comment: Starboard side: there are five new transverse flight deck supports on this part. AOTS drawings show stiffeners on the transverse flight deck supports here are on the forward side only. Note that the removable roller door tracks have been replicated with Evergreen I-beam strips. They are slightly out of plumb in the photo but will be straightened later.
IM003283a.jpg
IM003283a.jpg [ 199.25 KiB | Viewed 16200 times ]
File comment: Port side. AOTS drawings indicate that the boxy structure inboard of the 5-inch sponson enclosed aviation machine shops. The bulkheads of the boxy structure visible from the hangar bay were comparatively smooth on the real ship. AOTS drawings show that the structural members and stiffeners for this boxy area were located inside the box and therefore they are not visible from the hangar bay. Bulkhead surface details such as doors, lockers, etc. will be added later.
IM004168b.jpg
IM004168b.jpg [ 194.71 KiB | Viewed 16200 times ]

-Steve L.

Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:27 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Report this post
 Post subject:
Model Monkey
Model Monkey

Hanger Deck, midships. Interior images of the vent trunk from the film "The Fighting Lady" (Yorktown's nickname) show the words "BEWARE OF PROPELLER" painted in red flush with the aft edge of the vent trunk. Note, singular, not "PROPELLERS"

Note that it is believed that not all of the footage in that film was taken aboard Yorktown so this safety reminder may have been painted on the vent trunk of another ship. But I like the detail (and the movie!), it will be very visible through the open roller doors of the midships elevator, so I decided to include it on the model.

Attachments:
CV-10 1943-5.jpg
CV-10 1943-5.jpg [ 59.18 KiB | Viewed 16530 times ]
IM003285a.jpg
IM003285a.jpg [ 192.24 KiB | Viewed 16209 times ]
IM004161b.jpg
IM004161b.jpg [ 195.68 KiB | Viewed 16209 times ]
File comment: Port side, forward.
IM004167b.jpg
IM004167b.jpg [ 188.33 KiB | Viewed 16203 times ]

-Steve L.

Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:31 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:59 pm 
Model Monkey
Model Monkey

Improving the kit's Flight Deck parts

Some observations of the flight deck parts of Trumpy's 1/350 Yorktown:

1. The kit's flight deck parts have the ship's two as-built portside flight deck cutouts. These cutouts provided space for two Bofors mounts. During the August-October 1944 refit, the Bofors mounts were lowered and the flight deck cutouts were filled in.

2. Flight deck surface detail is a vast improvement over Trumpy's earlier Hornet kit, specifically, planking and tie-down strips look much, much better.

3. The flight deck is divided into three sections. The three flight deck sections are not the same thickness so joining them for a smooth flight deck surface is tricky. I also found that removing locator strips on the parts' undersides aids in the fit of the flight deck to the hull's bulkheads.

4. The 21 arrestor cables may be more accurate for an early Essex; too many for 1944-1945. During the frantic night recovery following the June 19, 1944 "Great Marianna's Turkey Shoot" - the unprecedented event where Admiral Mitscher ordered the lights turned on to guide in air groups out of gas - Yorktown's LSO was landing planes nearly simultaneously on the number 2 wire and the number 9 wire suggesting Yorktown only had nine arrestor cables at that time (The Fighting Lady, Clark Reynolds, pg. 164). Or perhaps Yorktown only had nine arrestor cables rigged but mechanisms for 21. I'll defer to Tracy for confirmation.

4. As talked about in earlier posts, the gallery deck is lacking any detail on the vertical surfaces. No slam on Trumpeter as Tamiya omits the same details with their kits.

5. The real ship has very noticeable longitudinal members between the structural supports for the flight deck on the forecastle (parts D13, D15 and D16 on the short hull kit). The framing detail on part D16 is very heavy and the part's "wings" should extend outward much farther, similar to the wings of parts D13 and D15.

6. The flight deck parts' undersides are not detailed at all. There are no kit parts to replicate the hangar deck overhead.

7. The underside of the port side flight deck overhang is replicated by separate kit parts but they lack detail. Once installed, there is a rather large, unsightly gap along the center of the gallery deck.

Attachments:
File comment: Fine Art Models 1/192 scale USS Yorktown
fs_8365_s-essexyork_04.jpg
fs_8365_s-essexyork_04.jpg [ 58.95 KiB | Viewed 40694 times ]
File comment: John R. Haynes 1/96 scale USS Yorktown as seen on "carrierbuilders.net"
ext. elevator.jpg
ext. elevator.jpg [ 47.97 KiB | Viewed 40477 times ]
File comment: Transverse flight deck support girders above the forecastle on CV-20. Note how the "wings" extend outward to the edge of the flight deck.
CV-20 bennington45a.jpg
CV-20 bennington45a.jpg [ 178.74 KiB | Viewed 16539 times ]
cv-18a.jpg
cv-18a.jpg [ 112.93 KiB | Viewed 16539 times ]

-Steve L.

Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:32 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:04 pm 
Model Monkey
Model Monkey

Improving the kit's Elevator Wells

The kit's forward elevator well bulkhead parts are without any detail. 97 parts have been added to replicate various features such as equipment panels, structural members, pulleys, cables and roller tracks. Note that the forward elevator moved along tracks fixed to the bulkheads. The aft elevator did not.

The forward elevator well was detailed according to photos of Hornet post-war, much busier than depicted by the kit. During the war, the bulkheads were usually painted a dark color, probably Navy Blue 5N. After making these new bulkheads, it was pointed out to me that during WWII, the forward bulkhead did NOT have the cables and pulleys seen in the postwar photo so changes have to be made.

The kit's forward elevator part has been inserted into an opening I cut into the kit's hangar deck.

Attachments:
File comment: After I had fabricated a new forward bulkhead as per the photo above I learned that the pulleys and cables visible on the forward bulkhead were post-war additions and are NOT accurate for Essex class ships in 1945. I'll replace the bulkhead seen here with a new, WWII-era forward bulkhead later (see page 5 of this thread).
Steve Larsen im004014a.jpg
Steve Larsen im004014a.jpg [ 199.06 KiB | Viewed 16537 times ]

-Steve L.

Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:16 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:08 pm 
Model Monkey
Model Monkey

Painting the Hull

USS Yorktown was wearing Ms. 33-10a in April, 1945 at the time her air group, Air Group 9, helped sink IJN Yamato.

For those building Yorktown as she appeared in 1945, note that she had been repainted during the August-October, 1944 refit slightly differently than her 1944 Ms. 33-10a pattern so check your resources closely. Pictorial Histories Publication Warship's Data 5: USS Yorktown (CV-10) by Robert F. Sumrall (ISBN 0-929521-45-5), had several good photos of the ship in 1945 (post-1944 refit). Particularly useful in determining Yorktown's 1945 camouflage pattern were photos found on pages 1, 29, 35, 46, 48, & 49. They are particularly helpful as they show the ship freshly painted during its post-1944 refit cruise from all four quarters.

Still some touch-up to do but hull painting is largely complete.

The close-up photos below show the shell plating detail to good effect:

If you are building your model as the ship appeared in 1945, avoid the photo on page 60 of "Warship's Data 5: USS Yorktown (CV-10)". Although captioned "March 1945", the Bofors mount locations indicate that the photo is actually of Yorktown before the 1944 refit. The camouflage pattern in 1945 is slightly different than the pre-refit pattern.

Although I prefer WEM enamels, I am now airbrushing indoors so this model is being painted with ModelMaster and Poly Scale acrylics made by Testors. Despite reports that ModelMaster Marine colors and PolyScale marine colors have been discontinued, they are all available directly from Testors Corporation

Attachments:
Ms.33-10A g170025a.jpg
Ms.33-10A g170025a.jpg [ 186.97 KiB | Viewed 16535 times ]
CV-10 1944 Ms 33 10a.j.a.jpg
CV-10 1944 Ms 33 10a.j.a.jpg [ 187.83 KiB | Viewed 16535 times ]
Steve Larsen im003847a.jpg
Steve Larsen im003847a.jpg [ 184.45 KiB | Viewed 16535 times ]
CV-10 1944.10.06 Ms 33 10a.a.a.jpg
CV-10 1944.10.06 Ms 33 10a.a.a.jpg [ 151.15 KiB | Viewed 16535 times ]
Steve Larsen im003955a.jpg
Steve Larsen im003955a.jpg [ 135.62 KiB | Viewed 16535 times ]

-Steve L.

Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:44 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:11 pm 
Great work :thumbs_up_1:

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:15 pm 
Model Monkey
Model Monkey

Thank you, EJ!

Improving the Gallery Deck bulkheads
:

The real ship's Gallery Deck was a busy place with lots of interesting fittings, openings, devices, etc. all begging to be added to your kit. One significant method of access to the
Gallery Deck was through many openings in the bulkhead just below the flight deck. These openings were conspicuous on the real ships and by including them in your model the kit's appearance can be improved.

To do so on my model, I studied photographs of several ships of the class, many provided by Tracy White, of USS Lexington and USS Franklin (ships whose structural appearance was nearly identical to Yorktown), in order to locate the openings and determine their size.

In the photos below, the flight deck is not yet fixed to the hull and a light coat of deck blue has been sprayed on the flight deck to help identify any seam problems that need fixing. Also note that Yorktown had the two flight deck cutouts for the port Bofors (nearest the 5-inch guns) filled in during her August-October, 1944 refit.

IMHO, Trumpter did a great job on the flight deck planking and tie-down strip detail for their 1/350 scale Essex class kits.

There are many techniques you can use to add Gallery Deck bulkhead openings to your model. The technique I chose to replicate the openings shown in the photos above was to create new openings using thin, 0.010" (0.25mm) thick styrene strips overlaying the kit parts.

According to photos and AOTS drawings, the gallery deck bulkhead height should be about 0.24" (6.0mm). Instead of using one strip 0.24" wide, build up to 0.24" by using three Evergreen .010" x .080" (0.25mm x 2.0mm) strips laid side by side. The square openings should be .080" x .080" (2.0mm x 2.0mm). By leaving 0.080" wide gaps in the center strip, you will create the square openings. Step-by-step:

1. Mark the location and type of opening (rectangular, square, oval, etc.) on the kit parts. If you are using a PE set with perforated gallery deck catwalks, be sure to check bulkhead opening locations against the PE catwalk parts to ensure your openings are in logical locations with respect to the catwalks. This is especially important starboard side aft. The catwalk above the starboard aft crane area is positioned on the bulkhead higher than other catwalks. A bit of care here will save you from having finding out an inclined ladder to that raised area lays across an opening.

2. Grind out a cavity for the openings in the kit parts using a Dremel tool (or equivalent) slightly larger than the opening. You can achieve a more realistically thin edge for the openings if you grind out a cavity in the kit parts before applying the styrene strip.

3. Lay down the first (top) strip even with the top edge of the flight deck.

4. Lay the second (middle) strip onto the bulkhead leaving gaps 0.080 wide for the square openings over the cavities you ground out in the earlier step. Using a 0.080" wide scrap styrene piece as a spacer will help you make perfectly uniform gaps.

5. Lay down the last (bottom) strip.

6. After the glue has set, sand smooth.

7. Add the 20mm Oerlikon platforms and other details of your choosing.

Attachments:
CV-9 Trumpeter flight_deck.jpg
CV-9 Trumpeter flight_deck.jpg [ 48.48 KiB | Viewed 16277 times ]

-Steve L.

Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:16 pm 

Steve, your posts make me look longingly at the USS Essex I have sitting above my workbench. I got her to the point that my scratch built hangar detail was added (not as much as yours, though!), and she's ready to have the hull plating applied and deck glued on, but I put her aside and haven't touched her in nine months.

Great work on yours, I'll look to this for the pitfalls I need to be aware of.

-Devin

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:30 pm 

Brilliant work...also a brilliant idea to split this post out into it's own thread.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:59 pm 
Model Monkey
Model Monkey

EJ, Devin, and Martin, thank you so much for your kind compliments!

Improving the Flight Deck sections' underside
:

The real ship's Flight Deck was supported by various structural trusses and members that were visible from below. Here you can see some initial work to add structural details to the underside of Trumpy's 1/350 Flight Deck parts forward as well as the 20mm galleries. There are 82 Evergreen styrene pieces added in this step so far, all visible in the first photo. The members under the Flight Deck are .020"x.060" (0.5mm x 1.5mm). The parts added to the 20mm galleries are .010" x .125" (0.25mm x 3.2mm).

Attachments:
Steve Larsen IM004100.jpg
Steve Larsen IM004100.jpg [ 144.87 KiB | Viewed 16613 times ]
Steve Larsen IM004094.jpg
Steve Larsen IM004094.jpg [ 98.25 KiB | Viewed 16613 times ]

-Steve L.

Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:57 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:40 am 

Very amazing detail Steve!
I appreciate your hardwork for giving us the info abot the Yorktown!

Report this post
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next