The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 1/450 Yamato
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 4:19 am 

I completed the main tower now ready as far as the plastic parts, a lot of PE to be added here. Some effort was necessary to lower the thickness of all platform guards since original thickness was quite high. However overall texture of the mould-in details is quite convincing

Attachments:
Tower-1.jpeg
Tower-1.jpeg [ 240.74 KiB | Viewed 673 times ]
Tower-2.jpeg
Tower-2.jpeg [ 195.76 KiB | Viewed 673 times ]
Tower-3.jpeg
Tower-3.jpeg [ 155.96 KiB | Viewed 673 times ]
Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 4:35 am 

Some last shots of the whole superstrucure before the application of the PE elements

Attachments:
Superstrucutre-1.jpeg
Superstrucutre-1.jpeg [ 373.87 KiB | Viewed 671 times ]
Superstrucutre-2.jpeg
Superstrucutre-2.jpeg [ 391.22 KiB | Viewed 671 times ]
Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 2:02 am 

First PE elements applied on the main superstructure part. Everything comes from Pontos set

Attachments:
PE details-1.JPEG
PE details-1.JPEG [ 324.34 KiB | Viewed 633 times ]
PE details-2.JPEG
PE details-2.JPEG [ 339.27 KiB | Viewed 633 times ]
PE details-3.JPEG
PE details-3.JPEG [ 311.77 KiB | Viewed 633 times ]
Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 3:08 am 

I would like to share my experience when applying the PE parts because it is virtually impossible to attach them in the correct position directly with one shot. First, I cut some very small strips of adhesive tape and I position the PE part on the kit. After I make all necessary checks with my calliper and a small ruler if any vertical or horizontal alignment is required. When I am OK with the position (after a lot of checks!) I put a drop of superglue on a paper and withdraw a really small quantity with a fine piece of paper with a triangular shape. The tip of such paper is not sharp but is tapered since it is necessary to go inside between the PE part and the plastic and to deposit a small amount of glue only on the PE part. Of course, it is necessary to put the glue only on one side of the paper strip. A good ally in the whole process is a specific product from Loctite to melt the glue and to remove it if the final positioning of the PE part is not good. Here in Italy such product is called “scolla tutto”.

Attachments:
PE appl-1.jpg
PE appl-1.jpg [ 382.42 KiB | Viewed 625 times ]
PE appl-2.jpg
PE appl-2.jpg [ 86.86 KiB | Viewed 625 times ]
PE appl-3.jpg
PE appl-3.jpg [ 213.89 KiB | Viewed 625 times ]
PE appl-4.jpg
PE appl-4.jpg [ 208.68 KiB | Viewed 625 times ]
Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:01 am 

A small parenthesis in the activity was the creation of a wooden stand for my previous model, a wooden scratch-built Galleon. The idea was also to accommodate inside the glass case the hull of the Yamato during the construction, just to protect it from the dust. Unfortunately the width on the side of the Galleon turned to be too small and the Yamato is currently on the wardrobe protected only with a piece of paper!

Attachments:
Stand-1.jpeg
Stand-1.jpeg [ 347.25 KiB | Viewed 574 times ]
Stand-2.jpeg
Stand-2.jpeg [ 360.66 KiB | Viewed 574 times ]
Galleon-1.jpeg
Galleon-1.jpeg [ 342.85 KiB | Viewed 574 times ]
Galleon-2.jpeg
Galleon-2.jpeg [ 351.87 KiB | Viewed 574 times ]
Report this post
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 5:53 am 

I have glued the aft tower to the main body of the central superstructure and started also with a small PE assembly that goes inside the funnel

Attachments:
Aft tower.jpeg
Aft tower.jpeg [ 244.97 KiB | Viewed 482 times ]
Funnel.jpeg
Funnel.jpeg [ 186.79 KiB | Viewed 482 times ]
Report this post
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 1:14 am 

I completed the PE parts on the funnel top. Some very delicate meshes there that has to be bended in the proper way. Fortunately, Pontos parts give the exact position of where to bend the part and the brass itself is quite good. I had to reposition several times the tiny filaments of the part and no one of them broke

Attachments:
Funnel top 1.jpeg
Funnel top 1.jpeg [ 152.47 KiB | Viewed 400 times ]
Funnel top 2.jpeg
Funnel top 2.jpeg [ 74.91 KiB | Viewed 400 times ]
Report this post
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 6:30 am 

Momcil, first of all congrats for the progress on the funnel, excellent result.

momcil wrote:
A good ally in the whole process is a specific product from Loctite to melt the glue and to remove it if the final positioning of the PE part is not good. Here in Italy such product is called “scolla tutto”.

Actually, the use of CA solvents has revolutioned my technique for gluing very small pieces. I discovered it by chance as it probably was your case, when I first dealt with a "gluing gone wrong" a few months ago.
I found the "scolla tutto" to be too dense to be applied efficiently on the smaller bits though. A good alternative that worked perfectly for me was using a product called Glue Buster produced by Deluxe Materials. Being liquid it can be applied in minimal quantities with the tip of a pointed brush (i use a "5/0") to the joint, where capillarity-spreading allows an optimal distribution. Glue Buster melts the glue but doesn't harm plastic, allowing to reposition the piece without causing its complete detachment if used in minimal quantities. The now correctly-positioned pieces can be re-glued with CA without much trouble a few moments after. Give it a go, it could improve your tecnique as it did for me.

Keep up the excellent work,

SG

Last edited by SG1 on Tue May 17, 2022 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 1:59 am 

SG1 wrote:
Momcil, first of all congrats for the progress on the funnel, excellent result.

Actually, the use of CA solvents has revolutioned my technique for gluing very small pieces. I discovered it by chance as it probably was your case, when I first dealt with a "gluing gone wrong" a few months ago.
I found the "scolla tutto" to be too dense to be applied efficiently on the smaller bits though. A good alternative that worked perfectly for me was using a product called Glue Buster produced by Deluxe Materials. Being liquid it can be applied in minimal quantities with the tip of a pointed brush (i use a "5/0") to the joint, where capillarity-spreading allows an optimal distribution. Glue Buster melts the glue but doesn't harm plastic, allowing to reposition the piece without causing its complete detachement if used in minimal quantities. The now correctly-positioned pieces can be re-glued with CA without much trouble a few moments after. Give it a go, it could improve your tecnique as it did for me.

Keep up the excellent work,

SG

Dear SG,
thank you for your advice I will search for this product. Indeed, the "scolla tutto" is very dense and I am forced to apply a big amount leading to the complete detachment of the PE part. Fortunately, the plastic is not melted, but I have to remove completely the PE, clean everything and start from the beginning.
Currently I have only prepared some very fine railings for the funnel (see picture). Most probably due to the latest temperature raise I have decreased my modelling activity…. Almost like all summers

Attachments:
IMG_3081.jpeg
IMG_3081.jpeg [ 219.58 KiB | Viewed 323 times ]
Report this post