The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: 1/450 Yamato
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 2:56 am 

Some shots of the overall current status. The hull almost complete, and the turrets, give to me a feeling of what can be the final appearance of the ship once completed...

Attachments:
Overall1.jpeg
Overall1.jpeg [ 300.47 KiB | Viewed 1192 times ]
Overall2.jpeg
Overall2.jpeg [ 137.21 KiB | Viewed 1192 times ]
Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 4:27 am 

I completed the small stern platform. The work was apparently easy but turned to be quite demanding. First, I had to reinforce the PE element with a styrene sheet and I also rebuilt some supports (not 100% as the real, but unfortunately such detail is not covered by Pontos) on the bottom of the platform and also installed two circular reference protrusions for better positioning the platform on the hull.

When I started to fit the small railing all around the platform it turned to be oversized as footprint! So, I had to add all around the platform a small styrene strip in order to get this missing thickness and only after I was able to install properly the small railing.

Dry fit of the platform together with a small ladder is OK, platform is not perfectly horizontal just because I will glue it later.

I still have to figure out how to move all this when I will have to go back to Italy!!! :-?

Attachments:
Platform.JPEG
Platform.JPEG [ 29.41 KiB | Viewed 1150 times ]
Platform bottom.JPEG
Platform bottom.JPEG [ 19.69 KiB | Viewed 1150 times ]
Platform dry fit.jpeg
Platform dry fit.jpeg [ 78.08 KiB | Viewed 1150 times ]
Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 4:09 am 

I have almost completed the aircraft catapults. Quite impressed by the quality of the PE parts (Pontos) and the overall fit. The joints between the parts are so precise that when I first tried to glue them, the added thickness of the superglue prevent me to fully insert the parts!!! So, I had to change the approach and first I mounted the parts without glue, and only after with a really fine stick (less than 0.1mm) I put some microscopic quantities of superglue in strategic points.

The catapults have also a basic interior. Recently I had the opportunity to see the brand-new kit from Pontos in 1/700 and the same interior is much more detailed: almost unbelievable detail! Currently I will leave the interior as it is (once the catapult is closed, it is a little bit difficult to see inside). I did not glued the upper plate in case I decide later on to add some scratch-built detail.

Attachments:
Catapult 1.jpeg
Catapult 1.jpeg [ 32.15 KiB | Viewed 1096 times ]
Catapult 2.jpeg
Catapult 2.jpeg [ 56.78 KiB | Viewed 1096 times ]
Catapult 3.jpeg
Catapult 3.jpeg [ 215.63 KiB | Viewed 1096 times ]
Catapult 4.jpeg
Catapult 4.jpeg [ 91.57 KiB | Viewed 1096 times ]
Catapult 5.jpeg
Catapult 5.jpeg [ 60.36 KiB | Viewed 1096 times ]
Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 11:27 am 

And here is the crane… work started from the base, quite intricate and was completed with the structure itself (some very delicate and difficult PE folding). Finally, I installed the wiring complex that is integrated with the pulleys. The antenna mast is very nice too and in the picture is just positioned.

My only regret is that all the crane has been engineered ONLY in rest position and I still must verify the lack of interference with the aft platform. Need to point out that indeed Eduard crane is quite nice too and the pulley system is more interesting: it is possible to adjust the inclination of the crane to any position. Need to check more documentation on the subject to avoid a wrong positioning… Maybe I will evaluate also Eduard part just for this.

Attachments:
Crane base.jpeg
Crane base.jpeg [ 18.99 KiB | Viewed 1038 times ]
Crane detail 1.jpeg
Crane detail 1.jpeg [ 44.1 KiB | Viewed 1038 times ]
Crane detail 2.jpeg
Crane detail 2.jpeg [ 67.55 KiB | Viewed 1038 times ]
Cane detail 3.jpeg
Cane detail 3.jpeg [ 37.72 KiB | Viewed 1038 times ]
Crane complete.jpeg
Crane complete.jpeg [ 63.56 KiB | Viewed 1038 times ]
Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:41 am 

MOVING BACK TO ITALY!

And so, came the moment to say goodbye to Romania… I have already packed everything with particular attention to the more fragile parts! I will travel with my personal car (not very big) and it will take some time. I am a little bit worried since you can never know, and I have no experience on how car vibrations can affect the delicate PE assemblies.
For the very next future after my arrival in Italy I foresee a slowdown in the construction process because in my home I have also other distractions, but in any case, the workbench will be more comfortable, and I will have all tools at my disposal

Attachments:
Moving back.jpg
Moving back.jpg [ 280.93 KiB | Viewed 1007 times ]
Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 4:12 am 

Here is me in the middle of (almost) nowhere in Hungary. A very nice place indeed but used only for transit. I really had no other time to look around. Pictures were taken early in the morning on the second day of my trip! I arrived the same day at home and unpacked everything. By now there are no issues at all, will make some more detailed checks after completely recovering the tiredness of the trip (1750km overall)

Attachments:
Hungary1.jpg
Hungary1.jpg [ 214.58 KiB | Viewed 957 times ]
Hungary2.jpg
Hungary2.jpg [ 276.6 KiB | Viewed 957 times ]
Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 3:45 am 

Few checks on the parts following a dry fit. Everything seems ok. In the aft section you can see the crane that has been engineered only for the rest position. The back portion of the crane is quite close to that balcony, but this appears also to be as in the real situation.

Attachments:
Check1.jpg
Check1.jpg [ 118.56 KiB | Viewed 924 times ]
Check2.jpg
Check2.jpg [ 125.11 KiB | Viewed 924 times ]
Check3.jpg
Check3.jpg [ 38.37 KiB | Viewed 924 times ]
Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:32 am 

Working on the ammo-boxes. The PE part has a nice texture and is easy to bend and glue. However, I figured out that it will be difficult to fix it on the deck due to the reduced thickness of the vertical walls. So, I glued inside a small piece of styrene just to have a central anchoring point and to avoid leaks of glue outside the perimeter of the box

Attachments:
boxes.jpg
boxes.jpg [ 64.72 KiB | Viewed 863 times ]
boxes detail.jpg
boxes detail.jpg [ 163.19 KiB | Viewed 863 times ]
Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:16 am 

Started working on the cable reels. There are 6 different sizes. Pontos set gives only two different rods to simulate the reel, so I have decided to search among my stuff and at the end I was able to find 6 different bars. The other issue was the reeling itself, not foreseen in the aftermarket. I tried several copper wires and the most suitable turned out to be the smaller one that I took from an old phone cable. It is more or less 0.1mm. I made somehow the winding and fixed with microscopic drops of superglue.

Attachments:
Cable reel big.jpg
Cable reel big.jpg [ 42.71 KiB | Viewed 829 times ]
Cable reels intermediate.jpg
Cable reels intermediate.jpg [ 34.71 KiB | Viewed 829 times ]
Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:25 am 

Like what you did with those boxes. They are a lot of work. I'm building a 1/350 Kongo and have same problem, but hadn't thought as far as you had about mounting them. So that's a helpful tip.

Building:
1/48 Lancaster (HK)
1/350 Akagi
1/350 IJN Kongo

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2022 3:15 am 

Jon wrote:
Like what you did with those boxes. They are a lot of work. I'm building a 1/350 Kongo and have same problem, but hadn't thought as far as you had about mounting them. So that's a helpful tip.

Jon, I am glad this was helpful for you! An issue I faced on the same subject was to cut equal all these small parts starting from a styrene rod of a proper diameter (1.3mm more or less).
I had to build a template visible here in the picture with a small housing where I inserted the rod. After, keeping the blade of the cutter as vertical as possible I tried to cut all the pieces equal. Indeed, cutting was not perfect but I left some excess. When the piece was glued in place, I gently blasted the base of each box so making it flush and suitable for the further positioning.

Attachments:
Template.jpeg
Template.jpeg [ 391.47 KiB | Viewed 794 times ]
Boxes complete.jpg
Boxes complete.jpg [ 42.82 KiB | Viewed 794 times ]
Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 5:22 am 

Here the small cable reels. Same technique used before: the very tiny copper wire turned to be even more useful. I will try to make abetter picture next days to see clearly such elements. Also, the smaller one has the winding not perfectly cantered respect the PE wheels, will try a repositioning
Time has come to work on the central superstructure…

Attachments:
Cable reels small.jpg
Cable reels small.jpg [ 45.97 KiB | Viewed 748 times ]
Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 2:54 am 

Started working on the superstructure base, a very nice all in one piece with fine detail. Some mould in ladders had to be removed to be replaced after with PE elements. The fit of the structure is very precise in the shape of the wooden deck and it is not necessary to add some kind of a missing thickness between the vertical walls of the structure and the deck folio. Very good from Pontos!

I started working also on the aft tower, cleaned some mould in elements and completely removed the quite rough structure of the plastic AA guns. The two platforms are visible in the picture and will be completely rebuild with the available aftermarket

Attachments:
Superstrucutre base.jpg
Superstrucutre base.jpg [ 101.17 KiB | Viewed 683 times ]
Aft tower.jpg
Aft tower.jpg [ 32.75 KiB | Viewed 683 times ]
Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:51 am 

momcil wrote:
Working on the ammo-boxes. The PE part has a nice texture and is easy to bend and glue. However, I figured out that it will be difficult to fix it on the deck due to the reduced thickness of the vertical walls. So, I glued inside a small piece of styrene just to have a central anchoring point and to avoid leaks of glue outside the perimeter of the box

That's very clever. Love it.

Keep up the good work.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 4:40 am 

Mr. Church wrote:
That's very clever. Love it.

Keep up the good work.

Thank you very much!

I have added several small details to the central superstructure with the aim to complete the whole part except the PE to be added later. I performed also a preliminary test fit of the funnel where there are really a lot of mould in details to be removed before the application of the foreseen PE elements

Attachments:
Superstrucutre.jpg
Superstrucutre.jpg [ 77.37 KiB | Viewed 612 times ]
Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 2:22 am 

I worked a lot on the funnel, first had to clean all mould in detail that will be replaced with PE elements. After I made a test fit (no issues at all) and only after that with a micro spherical mill I was able somehow to open all the piping around the main funnel. In the test fit picture also the tripod of the main antenna is visible. The upper part will be completely replaced with PE parts and scribed brass elements

Attachments:
Funnel detail.jpg
Funnel detail.jpg [ 73.6 KiB | Viewed 540 times ]
Funnel test fit.jpg
Funnel test fit.jpg [ 71.89 KiB | Viewed 540 times ]
Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 10:19 pm 

Very crisp work, and great progress.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:01 am 

Dan K wrote:
Very crisp work, and great progress.

thanks a lot! :wave_1:

Report this post

I started working also on the main tower. Nice fit of the two main halves and quite convincing fine detail in the upper part of the command bridge. Of course, a lot of PE is provided for such part of the ship but first I want to have the whole central superstructure complete. Several small items have already been added, some still to be, now the most demanding work will be to lower the thickness of some walls:
- Red circle, the upper niches embedded in the command bridge
- Green circle, a very small platform still to be added along with other small fittings in that area
- Red arrow, a quite big and demanding platform which has a quite intricate route of the external walls and will be quite difficult to reduce in thickness

Instead, the overall fit of the tower on the main part of the central structure is quite nice as the funnel and the aft tower

Attachments:
Main tower.jpg
Main tower.jpg [ 58.46 KiB | Viewed 498 times ]

Last edited by momcil on Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Report this post

I had also the patience to make a dry fit of almost everything done by now, just to have a sensation of what can be the last outcome...
I am glad to be back in Italy, no more travelling with this delicate project!!!

Attachments:
Overall-1.jpg
Overall-1.jpg [ 23.88 KiB | Viewed 491 times ]
Overall-2.jpg
Overall-2.jpg [ 60.36 KiB | Viewed 491 times ]

Last edited by momcil on Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:12 am, edited 3 times in total.
Report this post
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next