The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:05 pm 

Greetings all,

Following the topic of Calling All Ship Fans regarding the Deutschland Pocket-Battleship I am opening now a progress topic regarding the work I am doing with the Graf Spee of Fujimi at 1/700 scale. I am intending to build the ship immediately previous to the famous battle of the River Plate on the 13th of December 1939.
About the model itself it's the best between the worst from what I know from models of this ship in plastic at this scale (Matchbox, Italeri and Fujumi). After decent research and plans/photo studies I moved to the building process and I was immediately confronted with the poor quality of the model (compared to today's standards), mistakes, and sadly poor modelling design. Well the photos will speak for themselves.

Photo 1: These are the two models I own from Fujimi being the top one the Deutschland (which I intend to build one day in Spanish Civil War version) still "intact" but as you can see the modelling design of the decks offer serious problems regarding the application of putty to fill in the flaws. The bottom one is the Graf Spee with that situation corrected...radically I must say. I took out the entire deck, corrected the mistakes and applied an Evergreen deck sheet on it.

Photo 2: The hull of Graf Spee from the stern. The torpedo tubes on the quarterdeck were not put over the wood deck as many would think it was. They were actually put over a steel deck. A recent photo I've found taken aboard her clearly shows this detail. I applied two small basic Evergreen parts to simulate the steel platforms. Also if you look closely there is an eagle on the stern of the ship but I will have to remove it because it is too small compared to the real one. Now that I have the WEM Deutschland set I can correct this easily. A single 20mm pedestal is already present on the quarterdeck as well.

Photo 3: Basically the same context but from a different angle. I've marked the places where the structures will be fitted and placed the 11' turret barbettes already. The stern bridge was started already but I still have a bit of work to do on it and some more study as well given that the shape is hard to figure out given that neither the plans or photos I have from the ship solve the matter.

Photo 4: The bow of the ship. The wooden deck doesn't start immediately on the tip of the bow lie it is represented in the original model. The ship has a bit of steel triangle-shaped section on the bow therefore properly applied and unified with the wooden deck.

Report this post
 Post subject: Re: Graf Spee 1/700
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:46 am 
Starling Models
Starling Models

I will follow your build with interest Felipe as I have had it in mind for some time to build Graf Spee after the battle, currently doing Exeter from the Matchbox kit so you have my sympathies!

Mike

http://www.starling-models.co.uk

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:02 am 

mike mccabe wrote:
I will follow your build with interest Felipe as I have had it in mind for some time to build Graf Spee after the battle, currently doing Exeter from the Matchbox kit so you have my sympathies!

Hey Mike,

Graf Spee after the battle!? I presume with battle damage correct? That would be a good challenge indeed. I am keeping mine "intact"!! :big_grin:
About Exeter...well, I know the drill...I have the same model to build as well. Pity the side armour is a bit overscale on the superstructures guard rails!!! :heh: Fine ship in any case. We could use a new model of her in plastic at this scale...are you listening Trumpeter or Tamiya!?!?!?!!? :wave_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:42 am 
Starling Models
Starling Models

There should be enough references to fill out the damage, though that will be one people enjoy picking holes in if I get it wrong!

Which would you say is the best starting point, is the Italeri kit any good?

Actually I say building the Matchbox kit but I'm only using the hull, bridge and turrets, and I'm not even sure about them.

Mike

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:22 am 

Well, actually I got my hands on all 3 Graf Spees along time and the one that I kept, for the obvious reasons, was the Fujimi one. The details look better, though not enough as you can see, and the smaller parts more sharp. In any case, depending of the demanding level of each one, you can use either of the models to build her...all 3 will offer you guaranteed pain for certain!!! Regarding references yes there is a lot to cover both in photos, damage diagrams and plans. Actually I think I have managed to get more references then I wished for. Tiny details are much more evident therefore more details to do. But it's actually funny!!! Let me know if you need anything regarding the Spee. Just ordered the main and secondary barrels from NNT.
About photo-etch sets I gathered so far for this ship the following stuff:
- WEM: Deutschland Class; DKM Cable Reels; DKM Doors and Hatches; DKM Light AA
- GMM: DKM Warships
- Lion Roar: DKM Watertight Doors (lesson for me to learn to know what PE sets I have in the box before ordering more...no point having different sets of doors and hatches!!!).

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:02 pm 
Starling Models
Starling Models

What an odd thing that for one of the most famous of all WW2 naval battles, there isn't a decent 700 scale kit of either Graf Spee or Exeter, yet we have how many japanese and US cruisers that most of us have probably never heard of. Sometimes kit manufacturers baffle me.

It will be quite a while before I even think of this, maybe a shop around Telford might show up a cheap kit.

Mike

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:57 am 

Definately should prove to be an interesting model once done. I would confess, most interesting to me, would be to build the Graf Spee with the fake turret in place. But I have enough on my plate right now, and having fought with one Fujimi Deutschland class kit already, and cursing myself for small solutions I should have gone through with such as adjusting the barbette positions with some creative cutting, along with other potential ideas. But, hindsight is always 20/20. Looking good so far on your work, Felipe.

It's not Overkill, it's Insurance.

If you think my plastic is crazy, check out my Line Art!
http://s37.photobucket.com/albums/e58/S ... %20Images/

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:51 am 

Hi Filipe!.
Your Graf Spee looks very well so far.

I have Fujimi´s Admiral Scheer kit, and I wonder if it is the same Graf Spee in a different box.
Does someone know for sure?

Best regards.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:30 am 

mike mccabe wrote:
Sometimes kit manufacturers baffle me.

It will be quite a while before I even think of this, maybe a shop around Telford might show up a cheap kit.

Yup, most true indeed. I wonder sometimes what manufacturers have in their minds!!! Exeter and other RN cruisers do have a big sale potential. Pity they don't see that. Wondering myself if the rumours of Tamiya releasing a plastic 1/700 County class heavy cruiser are true???
Regarding Telford I am trying to attend this year. Spee might be ready by the time given that I am concentrating most of my efforts on her at the moment.

Sauragnmon wrote:
Definately should prove to be an interesting model once done. I would confess, most interesting to me, would be to build the Graf Spee with the fake turret in place. But I have enough on my plate right now, and having fought with one Fujimi Deutschland class kit already, and cursing myself for small solutions I should have gone through with such as adjusting the barbette positions with some creative cutting, along with other potential ideas. But, hindsight is always 20/20. Looking good so far on your work, Felipe.

Cheers Sauragnmon,

I did consider the chance of doing the fake turret and funnel as well but sadly I have seen only a couple of photos of Spee with that. Yet I have to give it some thought now that you remember me of that.

Sparrow wrote:
Hi Filipe!.
I have Fujimi´s Admiral Scheer kit, and I wonder if it is the same Graf Spee in a different box.
Does someone know for sure?

I don't own Scheer yet, actually the only one of the class missing in my collection, though Deutschland is basically the same model as Spee. Hull, turrets and other parts are identical being the main superstructures the different parts given the differences between the ships. Since Scheer is more equal to Spee in appearance and design rather then Deutschland I would take that the model of Scheer would be pretty much identical to Spee's one.

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:18 pm 

Hello everyone,

Got myself in a bit of a complication regarding one part I have to scratchbuild in Graf Spee. Basically it's the plate where the anchors are fitted when up on the sides of the hull. You can see very well the plates in the following link...the thing behind the anchors. Graf Spee had 4 anchors so therefore I need to do 4 of those plates that do not come in the model (what a surprise). I did try to venture myself in doing these plates with evergreen but given that they need to be holed so that the anchors can fit it turn out to be a very painful job and useless given the fragility of the part in the end. Any ideas of how I can solve this issue? Brass plate might be an idea I know but very hard to work with.

http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/imag ... h59660.jpg

Cheers,

Filipe

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:13 pm 

Hi Filipe!

I would check the possibility to do it by thermoforming. One pattern (punch) will give you four identical pieces (left and right side you will do by cutting of shape of thermoformed pieces). Thin enough (depends on thickness of sheet) and easy to install (just drill the hole and install - thin sheet will follow easily the curved lines).
For pattern I would use some thicker anchor (from some old kit) covered by Milliput or by thick layer or Mr. Surfacer for smooth surface. Then bonded on some kind of rod (larger diameter - you will need flat area around to cut the shape) and you will have nice punch!

That would be my solution...

David :wave_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:50 am 
Starling Models
Starling Models

Can't get that picture to download, or to be honest couldn't be bothered to wait for as long as it was taking!

Mike

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:11 pm 

mike mccabe wrote:
Can't get that picture to download, or to be honest couldn't be bothered to wait for as long as it was taking!

Well, no worries...it's that famous bow close-up photo of Graf Spee at Montevideo where you can clearly see the anchors and even one 8'' or 6'' shell hole on the side of the hull.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:03 am 

Good afternoon gents,

Another doubt regarding the Admiral Graf Spee!!! In the photo below you can see fairly well the stern of the ship and actually I am able to get some extra details from it yet I failed to realise what are those 4 kind of barrel-shape-looking things on the stern (2 on the sides of the stern and 2 immediately after the torpedo tubes)? Are these some sort of floating-anchor buoys?

Cheers,

Filipe

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:48 am 

Hey Filipe, they look like beer kegs to me! Must be on their way to a party.
BTW. Great job your doing. Damn fine bit of scratch building.

I was depressed last night, so I rang lifeline. Got a call centre in
Afghanistan and told them I was suicidal.

They got all excited and asked if I could drive a truck.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:06 pm 

Cheers, Kym. Beer kegs, hmmmmm, the torpedo tubes crews are having a party on their own I guess. Doesn't sound silly if you take into account that the quarterdeck was sometimes used for festivities and you can see some crew members around doing....well, nothing! Yet, a stern photo of the ship at Montevideo shows what appears to be one of those objects as well...but I guess that at that time they were not celebrating anything...far from it!!! Clearly these are removable objects since other photos showing the stern of the ship not always show these objects or on the other hand other objects in their places. Damn worrying over-detail thoughts!!!! :big_grin:

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:05 am 

Maybe they are smoke canisters?

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:10 am 

Smoke canisters....hmm, I don't know...they look to big to be smoke canisters...at least compared to the USN ones for instance...but might be a possibility. Any one else with more ideas?

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:12 pm 
Starling Models
Starling Models

Felipe
I think they are perhaps aircraft fuel tanks, they would be stored where they could be ditched overboard quickly if need be and it makes sense to have them as far away as possible from where a fire might start, or where they might cause damage if they caught fire. Only thing that wouldn't make me think that is that they are a long way from the aircraft so I wonder how the fuel might have been moved, if my guess is correct

Mike

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:13 pm 

Cheers, Mike. Sounds a possible idea the aviation fuel canisters though, like you said, a bit far away from the aircraft apparatus...even more being in an upper deck. It would make sense indeed to keep the fuel tanks in a far away area, however a bit exposed as well and next to the torpedo tubes does not compute very well either!!!
The mystery of the 4 unknown canisters remains.
Anyway, got the NNT barrels for the 11' and 5.9 guns today. Very nice stuff. Started working on the main turrets for that purpose already. WEM set has some parts for the turrets as well and some small scratch needs to be done also in the side directors and optical instruments.
Will post photos of the main turrets in the next couple of days. Must enjoy these mini-vacations to the most. Monday starting new job.
Regards,

Filipe

Report this post