The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:01 am 

This is what's currently on my workbench, kit-wise - I thought Les Foran and other fans of old Lindberg kits might be interested to see it!

This is the old Lindberg kit which is about 1/160 scale (the real ship is about 159ft long, the kit has a 12in hull). The kit is labelled as a LSI (Landing Ship, Infantry) however this was actually a post-war designation, during WW2 these vessels were classed as LCI (L) - Landing Craft, Infantry (Large).

The kit is very crude and basic - one of Lindberg's earlier ship kits I think - though the basic hull + superstructure shape is OK and many of the smaller parts and fittings are usable with some extra work. However, the large scale makes it easy to scratchbuild extra detail from styrene stock.
For reference material I mainly used Squadron/Signal's "WW2 US Landing Craft in Action" - I scratchbuilt the bow ramps (in stowed position), bollards and fairleads (completely missing from the basic kit deck!), replacement gun tubs, an open bridge (the kit simply has a solid block on top of the wheelhouse) and added porthole eyebrows/rigols, an anchor and hawsepipe, running lights, etched brass ladders, and various other small details. The 20mm Oerlikon guns also received scratchbuilt shoulder rests, magazines and sights, these are not in place yet.

The only thing currently missing is the railings; I don't have any PE rails in this scale (only 1/200 and 1/96) so will try adapting some Trumpeter 1/200 plastic railings, which are overscale for their intended scale, but might look OK in 1/150. Failing that, I might try cutting down some 1/96 Deans Marine PE stanchions and rigging the rails individually!

I'll post some more photos when the model is finished. It'll be painted in MS31/6L camouflage - painting this will be a challenge but it will make a change from grey landing craft!

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:33 am 

Looks great EP :thumbs_up_1:

http://nssavannah.wordpress.com/

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:58 pm 

Nice "enhancement".

I find that I enjoy this type of project more than scratchbuiling (some jobs are unrewarding, tedious or boring ) or building the "perfect" kit (you just paint, assemble and feel that you contributed nothing).

Jim

aux viewtopic.php?f=59&t=40896

CV-3 viewtopic.php?t=39515&p=263120#p263120

CV-6 viewtopic.php?t=33201&p=201342#p201342

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:34 pm 

JimRussell wrote:
I find that I enjoy this type of project more than scratchbuiling (some jobs are unrewarding, tedious or boring ) or building the "perfect" kit (you just paint, assemble and feel that you contributed nothing).

I agree - although if (as with me) most of your builds are old kits like this, building a "new-tool" kit that doesn't require hours of scratchbuilding + checking references can be a nice change! However, the next kits I plan to build are an Airfix Schnellboot and Revell 1/240 Campbeltown...

The LCI is 99% complete - just final weathering, rigging, and PE sights on the Oerlikons needed - so I'll post some photos when it's done.

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:52 am 

Nice to see these neglected kind of warships. I've got a few in 1/350 in my stash.

Report this post