The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 1/350 SSGN Kursk Diorama
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:15 am 

Hello to everyone,

I always had a problem building a model straight from the box. I've tried many times but i have to admit that i'm incompetent to do so. Everytime i look at a model i can imagine thousands of additions and/or modifications to "improve" it and this is the reason i can't finish a single one. This time the "victim" of my inspiration is the Oscar ii class "Kursk" in 1/350. Post war Soviet/Russian navy ships and subs are my favorite subjects. Adding to this the tragedy of this leviathan was enough to convince myself that in order to do her justice i had to do something that's never done before which in this case was to place all the anechoic ceramic tiles the Kursk was covered with. That's how my tragedy started. They were times that the line between modelling and masochism was not clear as the repetition of the same moves was overwhelming. :crazy: After placing over than 4.000 bits of plastic on the hull i started the dock which will host the Kursk on the diorama. The sub is a little bit rough on the edges as the pictures were taken before sanding. Thank god this is an "in progress" forum so i will not have to finish it.

PS: Kids don't try to do this at home.

Attachments:
DSCN0078 small.jpg
DSCN0078 small.jpg [ 70.86 KiB | Viewed 1407 times ]
DSCN0081 small.jpg
DSCN0081 small.jpg [ 56.33 KiB | Viewed 1393 times ]
DSCN0084 small.jpg
DSCN0084 small.jpg [ 39.03 KiB | Viewed 1394 times ]
Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:18 am 

A few more

Attachments:
DSCN0089 small.jpg
DSCN0089 small.jpg [ 56.41 KiB | Viewed 1391 times ]
DSCN0090 small.jpg
DSCN0090 small.jpg [ 66.83 KiB | Viewed 1402 times ]
DSCN0091 small.jpg
DSCN0091 small.jpg [ 52.91 KiB | Viewed 1387 times ]
Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:20 am 

A few more

Attachments:
DSCN0092 small.jpg
DSCN0092 small.jpg [ 57.6 KiB | Viewed 1384 times ]
DSCN0102 small.jpg
DSCN0102 small.jpg [ 52.5 KiB | Viewed 1388 times ]
DSCN0105 small.jpg
DSCN0105 small.jpg [ 53.47 KiB | Viewed 1395 times ]
Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:22 am 

Sorry to everyone i don's know how to do it through the imageshack

Attachments:
DSCN0106 small.jpg
DSCN0106 small.jpg [ 52.52 KiB | Viewed 1383 times ]
DSCN0107 small.jpg
DSCN0107 small.jpg [ 55.63 KiB | Viewed 1381 times ]
DSCN0108 small.jpg
DSCN0108 small.jpg [ 52.04 KiB | Viewed 1381 times ]
Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:24 am 

A few more

Attachments:
DSCN0114 small.jpg
DSCN0114 small.jpg [ 58.66 KiB | Viewed 1381 times ]
DSCN0116 small.jpg
DSCN0116 small.jpg [ 60.52 KiB | Viewed 1384 times ]
DSCN0117 small.jpg
DSCN0117 small.jpg [ 48.1 KiB | Viewed 1384 times ]
Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:26 am 

That's the last one.

Attachments:
DSCN0125 small.jpg
DSCN0125 small.jpg [ 31.74 KiB | Viewed 1385 times ]
DSCN0126 small.jpg
DSCN0126 small.jpg [ 45.96 KiB | Viewed 1381 times ]
DSCN0074 small.jpg
DSCN0074 small.jpg [ 45.47 KiB | Viewed 1381 times ]
Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:36 am 

YANNIS KARYSTINOS wrote:
Hello to everyone,

I always had a problem building a model straight from the box. I've tried many times but i have to admit that i'm incompetent to do so. Everytime i look at a model i can imagine thousands of additions and/or modifications to "improve" it and this is the reason i can't finish a single one. This time the "victim" of my inspiration is the Oscar ii class "Kursk" in 1/350. Post war Soviet/Russian navy ships and subs are my favorite subjects. Adding to this the tragedy of this leviathan was enough to convince myself that in order to do her justice i had to do something that's never done before which in this case was to place all the anechoic ceramic tiles the Kursk was covered with. That's how my tragedy started. They were times that the line between modelling and masochism was not clear as the repetition of the same moves was overwhelming. :crazy: After placing over than 4.000 bits of plastic on the hull i started the dock which will host the Kursk on the diorama. The sub is a little bit rough on the edges as the pictures were taken before sanding. Thank god this is an "in progress" forum so i will not have to finish it.

Yanni i ve tried to convince you to post pics in this forum too many times. It seems that i finally did it.
I always admired your incompetence to build something straight out of the box. I ve seen this submarine lots of times since you ve started building it. Now your work can be admired by everyone. Keep up the good work and :please: post more photos of your builds. I know you ve got more. :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :wave_1:

Various 1/700 aircraft.
Juan Carlos I LHD 1/700.
HMAS Canbera LHD 1/700.
FGS Type 122 class FFG 1/700.
LSD-41 class LPD 1/700.

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:26 pm 

YANNIS KARYSTINOS wrote:
Hello to everyone,

Hi Yannis,
You are not alone, i cannot remember the last time i even attempted an OOB build, well i think one of my Soviet builds was supposed to be, but Oh well never happened.
Your Kursk is looking Superb as are your other builds i have seen, i am glad that you have posted and hope you will post more. I actually have a 1/700 kilo that is buried away somewhere that i started to cover with anechoic tiles, i had them around all fittings and nearly 3 layers up from waterline, that is when i became well again and hid away all signs of madness and temptation, hopefully it will never be uncovered by anyone :woo_hoo: :heh: :big_grin:

Anyways, i look forward to seeing more of the Kursk and other builds.

Happy modeling

John

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:51 pm 

Nektarios and John thank you both for your kind words.

Nektarios you have built more ships than the tiles i placed on the Kursk or you are very close to this number.

John, have you placed tiles in 1/700 kilo? I think you are worst case than i'am. :lol_4:
I read your soviet shipyard post and i am very glad to see that more or less we have the same subjects under construction. Especially the Baku is something that i watch with great interest as it's modification is a challenge that i also accepted.
I also have to thank you for the Admiral Kuznetsov photos you have posted. Sincerely those photos were far more than i could have hoped for both as a modeler and russian navy enthusiast. If you have any more of those (Kuznetsov or other classes) please post them before i start begging.

Happy modelling

Report this post