The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:04 am 

Hello at all,

No... this won't be a fantasy of Jules Verne... this was a real ship, more then 100 years ago... coming from the Austro-Hungarian Navy...

The first one - SMS Falke was comissioned in September 1885
The 2nd one - SMS Adler folloed only few days later at 9th of October 1885.

41,14m long, 4,20m wide.... and full of 29tons of coal for their 1300hP locomotive steam engine which achieves about 22knots.
Both ships had 2 torpedos at the bow and 2 37mm L/23 Hotchkiss guns on board.....

... and this is the wonderful ship, which we are talking about .....

THE KIT

The Austrian company "Wiener Modellbau Manufactur" released a wonderful kit of these interesting ships in scale 1/72.
The kit comes in a big black box and consists of a big hull, made of resin as well as several other resin parts. Several turned brass parts, photo etched parts as well as wooden masts, decals, wire and more complete this kit.
All parts were wonderful casted in a grey resin without bubbles, flesh and only very small sprues to remove.

Here is the kit of the Austrian company "Wiener Modellbau Manufactur":

I am shure that this will become a big project... which will need some time... but a very interesting project :)

AND HERE WE GO!

First step - finding a wooden base. Dark color, glossy finish.... drilling two holes inside the hull and the base....
Then cutting two brass tubes and inserting it in the base.... then putting the ship on it.

So far.... looking good.... I can already imagine the black/red/brass colored ship there .....

And that's it for the beginning.... Next update soon.... :)

Cheers - Michael

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:03 am 

I love these early torpedoboats from the 1880s. The indeed have a rather Jules Vernesque (or 'steampunky' as todays youngsters probably would say) look about them. It has good reason: they were small, fast craft and, in consequence, rather wet. Therefore, everything had to be enclosed and they had to be designed to shed water quickly. Hence the whaleback design. Rammbows were the fashion of the day and would have been rather useless in such a small and lightly built craft.

This seems to be the only kit of such boat around, but there are many plans surviving for other early torpedoboats from various navies.

The Heeresgeschichtliche Museum (Military Museum) in Vienna has some detailed instruction models e.g. for the torpedo release mechanisms. In my library I also have a set of original training textbooks on torpedoes of the k.u.k. Navy with beautiful coloured lithographs of the equipment.

Former chairman Arbeitskreis historischer Schiffbau e.V. (German Association for Shipbuilding History)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Image Image Image Image

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:48 am 

Next step - cleaning all the parts..... lot of parts ....

Next step - I have modified the tiller and the propeller area... The propeller consists of 3 parts - the axle and two propeller blades. I removed the center part of the propeller from the axle and added the blades to it. Then I fillered and sanded it. Later - painting in black, then brass... and polishing.
The axle has to be modified a little bit - otherwise the tiller would streak at the hull.... and the propeller at the tiller.
>>> I have extended the axle twice.

Cheers
Micha

Last edited by elmarriachi on Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:00 am 

I gather you should translate your last contribution into English for the benefit of the others :)

Former chairman Arbeitskreis historischer Schiffbau e.V. (German Association for Shipbuilding History)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Image Image Image Image

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:06 am 

... oops .... done .)

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:55 pm 

Like wefalck have said - very steampunk Michael! Will be following your build with interest!

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:49 am 

Its a great model!

do have a look here at Peter Planners build...

http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery ... /index.htm

Alexander Glass ( Uschi von Rosten) made a very promising start on his... link below

( before being temporarily distracted by 1/1 scale Business and 1/35 WW 1 aircraft...

viewtopic.php?f=59&t=69105&hilit=adler&start=0

IPMS UK SIG (special interest group) www.finewaterline.com

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:18 am 

Hi Jim,
thanks a lot for the links. I know the one from Peter very well. The otherone - thanks for showing. I will have a closer look at this built too, I did not saw it before :) (unfortunately not finished as it seems?)
Cheers
Michael

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:56 pm 

*** UPDATE ***

Nxt step.... adding several resin-parts to the hull.. beginning at the bow with the air vents and other small parts... the hatches to the interior. Both parts for the hatches were bent in hot water before gluing to the hull. The two funnels were added and other parts on the rear of the hull.....

NOTE: The two big vents at the left and rear side in the center of the ship.... I think it is a mistake in the mounting instruction as it shows both in the other direction as I have mounted it. I glued it in position with the opening to the rear of the ship as I saw it on pictures....

Nxt step.... further resin parts... then plastic parts and brass parts... and pe parts ....

Cheers
Micha

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:05 pm 

I don't know the internal disposition of these boats, but the two cowl-vents are almost certainly related to the boilers, though they seem to be standing quite far back, behind the engine. Perhaps they were kept so far back so as to avoid spray being pushed into them. Normally, such vents would be oriented towards the wind, i.e. when the boat is running they would face forward to direct the flow of air towards the boilers. At anchor and when steaming-up, they would be turned into the wind.

Image Image Image Image

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:28 pm 

*** UPDATE ***

Some PE-parts and some wiring at the signal lamps at the funnels later ....

CHEERS
Michael

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:10 pm 

before it is too late

had you considered drilling out the conning tower windows

you could glaze them later with either acetate glass( fiddly but nicely reflective )
or use Krystal Klear and make the windows that way

if you decide you don't want to drill them-

-consider using a 2 b pencil to infill rather than flat paint get the darkness and slight shiny reflective quality

Jim Baumann

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:36 am 

Hi Jim.

thanks a lot for the great idea.... yes I will open the windows and make the glasses in the same way as I did with my Bismarck right now... :) (Krystal klear).

But thanks to your reminder... I fear that I would have forgotten that otherwise! THANK YOU !!!

Cheers
Michael

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:21 pm 

*** UPDATE ***

All the round portholes at the captain's bridge are drilled open, also the portholes in the hull and on the main deck. The portholes at the bridge received etched frames already, the ones at the hull and on the deck will receive some frames later. These frames are not included with the kit, I ordered some in the correct diameter online :) All the portholes will receive "glass" made of Krystal Klear later and the frames will be painted in brass color.
On top of the bridge I also added the metal parts and made the ring with wire. Next the ship received its name... it is called "FALKE" ... I decided this name as I like it more then "Adler" :) That's the only reason :)

PAINTING
The painting I started with a layer of primer on everything. I used Black Primer from Valleyo which is giving a smooth surface. Also it is very resistant against damages and during the weathering.... And the black is a kind of first shadow :)

The next step will be masking, then a first thin layer of red at the under water part of the hull... then further shadows... then red again... later washes .... :)

Cheers
Micha

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:57 am 

*** UPDATE ***

The nest step starts with the painting of the under water area of the hull.. first a red layer on everything. Used a red and red bwown color, mixed together.... Next step, some shadows with black color to accent the edges of each steel plate of the hull..... Next step, one further layer of red color, the black shadows shining through it .....

Next step... painting of the thin line between red and black color... used the same red, mixed it with a little bit of beige and white.... then masking and painting.....

Next steps... masking and painting the black color on the side of the hull... the red stripe will remain only a very thin stripe ...then furhter parts on top of the hull...

Cheers
Micha

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:51 pm 

Loveit :-)

XXXDAn

See also our german forum for the age of Sail and History:
http://www.segelschiffsmodellbau.com

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:15 am 

THX ! :)

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:30 pm 

*** UPDATE ***

Next step... black painting of the hull... I have only painted the sides so far.... on top it is still the valleyo primer. The black is a mixture of tireblack, white and rust... The rest will be painted later once further parts are added (such as railing, portholes, anchors, ....). The weahtering also follows later ....

What do you think about these brass port holes? They aren't glued yet as i am not 100% shure yet.... still thinking about it..... I think it is a bit too voluminous... therefore I have ordered some etched alternatives.... I think I will get these tomorroe or Thursday..... :)

Cheers
Micha

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:49 pm 

I agree, the porthole rings are too big, thick and round... kinda makes the whole thing look a bit toy-like. Otherwise, looking great!

Current Project: 1/200 Bismarck

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:31 pm 

you are seeking assurance for what you already know... :thumbs_up_1: :cool_2:

The portholes are way overscale.
When I build in 1/700--everything I add to a model I compare to a 1/700figure

It goes some way in avoiding clunky detail and overscael masts and rigging

I recommend you obtain a 1/72 human figure model--

-and offer it up to everything you add to your "Falke " ( engl. Hawk ) model-

-otherwiseone can be in danger of creating a "modellers model..."

ie ==> attractive to the eye initially---- but far too much 3-D to be in scale... :big_grin:

Our brain can assimilate immediately what is too thick/fat/ thin

Otherwise the model looks great!

Tschuess

Jim Baumann

Jim Baumann

Report this post