The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 497 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:08 pm 

Just going through the old posts and was wondering what you have planed for your model in 2012?

1/72 Steregushchy-class corvette

Mick
Tumut Australia

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:14 am 

Looking at amount of research done to make modifications and detailing, is amazing!!
And especially those tiny scratch-builds which are compared to pencil tip. :thumbs_up_1:

Regards,
Mayu

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:31 am 

Mini ShipyarD wrote:
Looking at amount of research done to make modifications and detailing, is amazing!!
And especially those tiny scratch-builds which are compared to pencil tip. :thumbs_up_1:

Regards,
Mayu

Thanks, Mayu! The most important tool I have is a lighted, magnifying viewer that I do almost all of the work through. Without it, I'd be lost.

Regards,
Bob

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:53 am 

Bob, great work as usual :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:

A couple of suggestions:

There might be a second speaker facing at the opposite side on the same platform on the mack, if you notice Russians tend to make fittings symmetrical.

Also, there might be an electric motor at the base of the RAS equipment. The position changes in order to keep the wirerope under tension and straight, so it shifts position accordingly.

Keep the photos coming... :wave_1: :wave_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:50 pm 

GTDEATH13 wrote:
... might be a second speaker ... might be an electric motor

Thanks, Nick! I'll check these out and report back! :thumbs_up_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:09 pm 

Nick,

I took a closer look at photos and I can't see any extra speaker. Also, I'm unsure what you're referring to as the motor. Do you have photos that you've seen these things in or can you give me a better explanation?

Thanks,
Bob

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:05 pm 

Well, it's taken some time but finally a bit of progress! The main mast/stack (mack) is fairly complete. What a crowded piece of structure this is. It's crammed with electronics. Here's a photo of the general arrangement which gives a decent idea of the complexity of the real thing.

This is a closeup of the rectangular, horizontal mast support on the forward face of the mack.

As you'll recall, the mack was previously cleared of most detail since it was wrong. So, here's the starting point for detailing out the mack - PE for the main antenna.

Here is the antenna assembled. The PE was incorrect and simplified due to the kit part that it had to attach to being wrong. This resulted in having to cut up the PE parts into smaller bits and then reassembling them in a more correct fashion. Note that the electronic runs, collecting horns, and various other parts are not the PE pieces but rather scratchbuilt versions so as to provide a more accurate 3D appearance. Also, the uppermost electronic run does not come back straight over the top of the antenna but, instead, juts out the side in a serpentine path leading back to the tower support head. This is the correct run unlike the PE parts which provide straight runs.

Here, the electronic runs are shown to good effect.

This photo shows the top of the support tower. The kit top was incorrectly shaped as a rounded rectangle as opposed to the real thing which is a sphere. The white top is where I cut the top of the tower off and made my own version out of styrene.

Following are several views of the mack from various angles.

Here's a view of the forward face of the mack and the horizontal mast support.

In this one, note the walkway that spans around the forward face of the mack, connecting the Rum Tub platforms. This feature is totally missing from the kit.

Note the elongated loop antenna on the far end (left side of the photo) of the horizontal mast support. This is item "A" in the reference photo at the begining. My attempts at the remaining items "B-D" can also be seen. If you look very closely you can see a miniscule anemometer that sits atop "D" (I think that's what that's called).

This shot gives a good sense of the crowding of the side of the mack.

Here's a good shot from underneath showing the extensive platform supports. As mentioned in previous supports, these are simplified due to scale and skill limitations. Mainly lack of skill!

This photo just gives a bit of sense of the overall progress.

And again, an overall view.

For the first time I can see a light at the end of the tunnel. Admittedly, it's just a pinpoint and I need the Hubble telescope to see it but, still ... Hope!

Enjoy!

Regards,
Bob

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:42 am 

Bob, sorry for the late answer, had been trying to find plans or photos of the base of the RAS equipment. Nothing came up, so I really cannot help you with that.

The mack is superb, wish some guys in China that design models are watching your build... :heh: :heh:

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:04 am 

That's some very inspiring work,

Well done

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:58 pm 
Very nice work. I wish I had the steady hands for it.

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:56 pm 

Excellent progress, Bob. What kind of camera do you use? Do you use lighting common to your shop or do you pull in extra lights for the pictures? What kind of a stand do you use for your camera? Your photos are very clear!

Keep up the great work!

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:09 pm 

Dennis78 wrote:
That's some very inspiring work,

Well done

Thanks, Dennis. I've been inspired by the work of so many of the great builders on this site that I kind of owe it to try to give a little back. I fall short by comparison but I try!

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:11 pm 

Guest wrote:
Very nice work. I wish I had the steady hands for it.

Thank you. I wish I had steady hands, too! What you don't see in my posts is the half a dozen failed attempts at every scratchbuilt item I make.

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:17 pm 

navydavesof wrote:
Excellent progress, Bob. What kind of camera do you use? Do you use lighting common to your shop or do you pull in extra lights for the pictures? What kind of a stand do you use for your camera? Your photos are very clear!

I have a several year old Kodak 4-megapixel snapshot camera. No stand - just the camera held in my shaky hands! Lighting is just an overhead ceiling light and a clamp-on work light on the side of my bench. In fact, I'm generally disappointed with my photography. It doesn't usually seem to capture what I'm shooting very well. It's adequate but barely.

Thanks,
Bob

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:53 am 

Looks great! I wish I had the patience and skill to put that much detail into my models.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:18 am 

Excellent work Bob :thumbs_up_1:

John

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:58 pm 

Your best update ever, Bob. It culminates several months of effort on those particular sub-assemblies that shows persistance and patience. All your structures are beautifully done, and through your determination will flow together into a stunning evolution of the Kirov.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:06 pm 

pingjockey wrote:
Looks great! I wish I had the patience and skill to put that much detail into my models.

Thank you. :smallsmile: I think patience is even more important than skill. I still struggle with keeping my patience as I "work" the small details. The temptation is to quickly skip over them. I'll keep trying!

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:11 pm 

johndon wrote:
Excellent work Bob :thumbs_up_1:

John

Thank you, John. By the way, how's your battleship coming? It's an excellent build and I've been keeping an eye out for an update.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:17 pm 

glue mark wrote:
Your best update ever, Bob. It culminates several months of effort on those particular sub-assemblies ...

I appreciate the overly kind words. You're quite correct that that one relatively small area of the ship required a great deal of time to research and execute. It makes for slow updates and I feel bad about that. I know there's viewers who support me with encouragement and would like to see more frequent updates (so would I!!) and I feel like I'm letting them down a bit. Still, I'll get there. It's just a matter of time! :smallsmile:

Report this post
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 497 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next