The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 1/700 Maersk Fighter
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:41 am 

Hello guys,
Here's my latest 1/700 build. This is an Offshore Supply Boat of the Maersk Fighter class (Maersk Fighter, Finder, Fetcher, Feeder, ?). I built mine as the Maersk Fighter. They are of an Ulstein Design and the stern section of most of the ships is different and even changes in time. Also the liferaft lay-out and equipment on deck changes with assignment.
They are 83m long and 18.8m wide (normal size for such bad-weather ships).
I'm still thinking of a cargo for this one, I have one prototype cement container ready, but I'm looking for something bigger as I've depicted her in full load condition. Also regular containers are often carried on these ships. The ship is finished, but I'll be depicting her in an acrylic gel base. Latest idea is also adding a drilling rig to it, but I'm a little short on time for that.
I thought this would become an easy and fast build due to the small size and smaller amount of detail compared to my regular tanker builds. I was wrong, it ended up taking a long time as all these smaller details became very difficult to make.
I've shown a picture of this one in my 1/100 RC Udaloy build with a completely wrong colour. In the shop it looked ok, and even then I thought I could mix it to the right colour. Wrong again... I ended up mixing straight blue with white (both Revell) to come to this result which is rather close to the real Maersk blue I guess. The seven pointed Maersk star on both funnels was painted with a piece of 0.3mm steel wire.
Anyway here she is, a small addition to my growing scratch built collection.

Attachments:
DSC_0327.JPG
DSC_0327.JPG [ 88.42 KiB | Viewed 1166 times ]
DSC_0328.JPG
DSC_0328.JPG [ 86.33 KiB | Viewed 1164 times ]
DSC_0331.JPG
DSC_0331.JPG [ 84.82 KiB | Viewed 1164 times ]
DSC_0333.JPG
DSC_0333.JPG [ 75.34 KiB | Viewed 1160 times ]
DSC_0332.JPG
DSC_0332.JPG [ 73.65 KiB | Viewed 1159 times ]

Post subject: Re: 1/700 Maersk Fighter
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:13 am 

Hi Neptune,
nice to see you working in '700 again. And a very nice subject too. About the cargo, BMK makes excellent resin and PE containers (both can be found in my Suhaili build). And you can rescale the paper containers from paper shipwright off course.
http://www.papershipwright.co.uk/px90/details.shtml
One thing that strikes me most when looking at supplier pictures is the large amount of drill piping that can be seen on deck. Industry standard length seems to be 31 ft (9.45m) with a variety of diameters. So any number of 13,5mm long pieces of brass can bring your Maersk Fighter alive.

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:05 am 

:wave_1: I've seen those containers in your Suhaili build. I'm looking at something bigger though, possibly large parts of platforms etc. I have a picture of the fighter with such a large piece cargo, although it's difficult to make out what she's carrying due to the small size of the picture. I'll see where it ends. For me it's a closed chapter now that the ship is finished. At this moment she has a 1/700 Nanuchka sitting on her aft deck :big_grin: . I've taken that small Baltiysk port from the shelf again and I had to give the Nanuchka a new home for now.
Unfortunately for you maybe, this might be my last 1/700 builds. I've decided to go to something bigger. I'm tired of all the effort you put into small details which can hardly be seen anyway. Previously I also thought 1/700 would go faster due to the smaller amount of detail. I found out that is not true, you put the same amount of detail in them, it only takes a lot more effort and time to accomplish that.... In 1/400 my intended next scale (in which I already have a few ships after all) you can see those details and people can really make out stuff. I'll see where I end up when I start my first merchant ship in larger scale. I guess the Udaloy build is a cause of this change in thoughts, as I have a lot more satisfaction when something works out nicely on that ship than I have on the small ones. :heh: Anyhow I do have a lot of admiration for those who do keep building in such a small scale, I'm just not made for that I guess :heh:

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:23 am 

Looking very good. Nice work on the bridge windows and mast.

What color blue are you using for the hull? Is it out of the bottle, or your own mix?

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:44 pm 

Looks very interesting :big_grin:

Good work and that is also nice to see other ships than only warships :big_grin:

:thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:

Joe

1:350 HMS Ark Royal in progress
1:350 HMS Legion in progess
1:350 Type VIIC U-81 in planning

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:08 am 

Very nice project!!! :thumbs_up_1:
Guido

Never wear your best trousers when you go out to fight for freedom and truth. - H. IBSEN

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCk8zhb1sc4Pe3BRLqq3d-SQ

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:31 pm 

The blue is a mixture of Revell 52 blue and Revell white. THe 52 is glossy, so the end result is also glossy, much to my disliking. Anyhow, the result is close enough to the real colour I think. I searched for something like this, but that would be strange after all as nobody has Maersk ships in his inventory up till now and so releasing a paint in that colour would be strange. :big_grin: :heh:

Report this post