The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 226 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:04 am 

Outstanding work, Bill. I am loving how she is coming out!

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:59 am 

am i goin mad?? i'm sure i posted on here??? great work bill.. :thumbs_up_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:08 am 

You are as bad as me...! You did, a couple of posts down... :big_grin:

I think we both must be going senile!

Just got another couple of fine brushes so am going to spend the rest of the day painting the deck details and touching up.. May even bite the bullet and do the blast bags too... just need a bit of courage to try something new on this build... Not used White glue for blast bags before... I suppose if I mess it up I could remove it all and go back to milliput :smallsmile:

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:44 am 

:thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:

Bob Pink

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:18 pm 

Bill,

Any progress to report? Inquiring minds want to know!

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:19 pm 

MartinJQuinn wrote:
Bill,

Any progress to report? Inquiring minds want to know!

Now, now, we can't rush a masterpiece!!!!!! :wave_1: But I have to agree Bill, are we going to see updates?

Planned builds:
3 more 1/700 AH submarines

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:27 pm 

Sorry guys...! I have had my young son for the Easter holiday and havent done very much over the past few days.

I was so inspired by the blast bags on Dave Hills thread... and seeing Martin's post on Agincourt, it got me going again and I have just had my first attempt at 'blast bags the white glue way...'. Not sure how they will turn out, but it is certainly quicker than Milliput...!

I will do another level of glue in the morning and then paint them and see what they look like.... I had a go at Dave Hill's method but in 700 scale. Didnt have the right size tube and it looked a lot of work... so I eventually gave up. I will have a go when/if I do another 350 scale kit though... It was such a brilliant way to do them. His blast bags are the best I have ever seen... but I suppose I will have to accept my modelling standard isnt up to it quite yet...

Thanks though... I need motivation every time I get to a natural 'pause point'... and having finished the camouflage, that is exactly where I am... So keep hassling me... I need it! :big_grin: :thumbs_up_1:

Hopefully post a photo or two tomorrow... :thumbs_up_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:34 pm 

Hi Guys, again, thanks for your comments earlier... :thumbs_up_1:

OK. Finished the blast bags using white glue. I think they look reasonable, but I havent painted them and its hard to see the actual shape right now. I will paint them tomorrow and post a picture if they look OK... or I will take it off and try again! :big_grin:

I decided I would start on detailing the funnels. There are several very prominent pipes on the inside of the funnel which are, I think at least, so noticeable in pictures of Renown that I couldnt be happy with the two very weak looking bits of detail moulded into the funnel casting, with main central pipe represented by a flat disc on the photo etch. I decided I needed to rework the area, despite its small size. I am relatively happy, but they are far from perfect...

This is a picture of the starting point. I cut out the PE funnel grille leaving the 'sprues' in place as I wanted to bend them into the 'stand off' supports. I cut four short bits of 1 mm brass tube to represent the smaller pipes and one 2.5mm brass tube to represent the larger central pipe. You can see the two small little moulded on details (just!) on the original funnel top. The coin is a UK one penny, which is exactly the same size as a US cent.

I then carefully marked out the position of the various pipes from my drawings and drilled the holes. I then cut away the central disc from the funnel grille PE and removed the two tiny moulded on pipes from the top of the resin funnel.

I then glued the pipes in place and sanded them down to the correct height. Luckily, they should all be the same length, so this was relatively easy.

I then fitted the funnel grille over the new funnel top/pipes. This proved to be really difficult. Not only were they so difficult to align because the parts are so small... but the drawings, the PE and the actual funnel, all differed in size. In the end I had to accept a compromise and had to place the grille in such a way that the pipes look OK. Unfortunately the PE Grille isnt really the correct size and I had to put it in a position that looked right according to drawings and photos. This meant the pipes dont show in the correct 'spaces' in the grille... they're all one section further back than they should be... although spaced correctly... Also, in order to get the grille on, I had to cut the central pipe supports back in order to correct the grill position and so I now have a gap where the grilles should all meet and butt up against the central pipe. I will try and get that sorted tomorrow if I can find some spare PE of the right width. Also, one of the grille bars obscures the pipe closest to the central pipe... nothing I can do about that, so I will have to leave it as it is. In the end, its all a bit of a compromise. If I was doing this again I would ignore the drawings, cut and mount the grill and then drill the holes afterwards and place the pipes correctly. It would mean I would need to get the pipes the correct height by drilling down the correct depth for each pipe, but with trial and error it could be done and everything would be in the right place then.... Still... you live and learn!!! :big_grin:

Anyway, here is the funnel top nearly completed. I think it looks OK... and for most people would be acceptable. Not everyone would know where the pipes should be relative to the grille bars... and its pretty close anyway... A quick glance and it looks right... even when you look at the drawings... so that will have to do (I can see Jim B shaking his head in despair...!). The compound curved shape of the grille looks good, although not very clear in the picture, so I am pleased with that and in profile the pipes and the grille look pretty close to photo's and my drawings. I have also dry fitted the funnel back in place on the model and it is amazing how much better this area looks since I modified it. MUCH more complex and 'busy' and the curved profile of the grille looks good too... so I am reasonably pleased. I had thought about hollowing out the funnel a little more with my Dremel, but that would be risky and would have ended up making the alignment of the pipes very tricky. As the whole funnel top will be painted black and then the pipes drybrushed to make the ends stand out, I think hollowing the funnel is unnecessary and wouldn't add much to the end result in this particular case.

Its all a compromise anyway... Just have to keep telling myself that! And I have learnt what to do next time, so thats a plus...:thumbs_up_1:

Onwards and upwards... second funnel tomorrow :smallsmile:

EDIT: Hmmm... having looked at some photo's of the funnel top I now notice that the pipes are not all the same height and a couple protrude above the grill whereas mine are level with the grille top...However the compound curve I have managed to bend in the PE grille is about right and, as it curves up a fair way, the pipes are clearly noticeable above the level of the funnel top, so they will still look OK...Bugger! Thats just goes to show how its easy to get so focused on drawings which are not always accurate, rather than constant reference to photo's... Nothing I can do about it now. Another lesson learnt...! Still, if anyone is building Renown in the future and reads this, at least they will be able to correct all the mistakes I have made... :big_grin:

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:55 am 

Honestly, I'm not a fan of HMS Renown. But your work is really incredible. A work of art is being born before our eyes.
It's a awesome model. :lol_3:
Seb

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:41 pm 

Good progress mate!

you are of course right--only believe photos,....!-- plans sometimes tell only half-truths....

Glad you are back in the swing!

JIM B :wave_1:

IPMS UK SIG (special interest group) www.finewaterline.com

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:06 am 

I suppose many interesting things are going on here but I do not see any new posts after the ninth of March :mad_1:

Edit: thanks to Guido and Martin for help :big_grin:

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:52 am 

[quote="Bill Livingston"]You are as bad as me...! You did, a couple of posts down... :big_grin:

I think we both must be going senile!

i hope not.. im only 26 lol..

your work continues to impress... :jump_1: :surfer:

leigh :thumbs_up_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:32 pm 

Thanks for the comments again guys... been slow this week with the Easter holiday and so on. Got a little done today though.

Fiished the blast bags then spent ages agonising over the colour of them. Some photo's show them as white, some as black and some as a fairly dark grey... In the end I decided to use Humbrol 64 which is supposed to be a light grey... It looks a little dark to me, so may repaint them white... or black! I'll see. Anyway, the shape isnt too bad and it was much easier than Milliput although I dont think it looks as good... getting the folds and creases in the underside of the bags seemed next to impossible. I'll see if I can do anything with paint, but the jury is still out on this one. The greatest difficulty was getting the white glue to form on the tops of the turrets where the resin turret has the top support moulded onto it... Getting that right in this scale was pretty hard, especially as the white glue shrinks as it dries, so I needed about four applications. Maybe black blast bags will hide it although when not under Optivisor or computer screen magnification they look pretty good :smallsmile:

Still unsure about the forward funnel pipes... they do show above the level of the funnel, but not as much as they should. I will see what they look like painted. I had though of extending them a touch with paper and CA, but as one of them is not perfectly aligned it seemed a non starter as I would be highlighting another error in hiding the first one... Anyway, here is a picture of the funnel dry fitted in place...

Bill

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:01 pm 

OK... despite the trauma that is my relationship, I managed to get something done today... :big_grin:

I completed the second funnel. This time by putting the grill on and then put the pipe(s) in afterwards and set it at the correct height. If only I had done this on the first funnel. Anyone looking at building this later take note!

After completing the grilles and pipes I airbrushed them both black. I also re-painted the blast bags white and am going to leave them like this... look pretty good to me. I think my workbench needs a bit of a tidy up before I move on, plastic card, brass tubing and rod, paint, glues, bits of PE... complete mess!!! :cool_2:

Anyway, here she is today...

Slow... but its coming along! :woo_hoo:

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:46 pm 

Hi Bill,

what a wonderful progress on your HMS Renown, and by the way, one of the cleanest and finest builds I have seen :thumbs_up_1:

AKA "Painter"
VMF'06 - German Gamblers
Veritable Modelling Friends 2006, Germany

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:23 am 

Bill Livingston wrote:
Anyway, here she is today...

Bill,

She is coming along very nicely. I like what you did with the funnels - adds a nice extra touch. Keep moving ahead!

Ship Model Gallery

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:26 pm 

Thanks Martin, Christian... Enjoying this model. Anyone who has a WEM 700 scale Renown will find it challenging but really rewarding... Definite recommendation :thumbs_up_1:

More detailing on the forward funnel today. VERY small bits of PE... and of course I lost a part to the desk and carpet monster... tried looking for it for ages... but at 3mmm long and less than 1mm wide for an etched support bracket with three lightening holes in it the chances of finding it are zero... Looks like I will have to scratch a part... Never mind.

Still got the pipe to the starboard funnel siren to do (nightmare!) and then the funnel brackets (one part of which went missing)...

I airbrushed the funnel first and will hand paint the PE and touch up as I go along. Still some resin swarf on the top of the funnel which I didnt get rid of before taking the photo, but that easily done. Very heavily detailed forward funnel in the WEM kit... this is all 'out of the box' here... so gives you some idea of the quality of the basic kit. Jut need to finish of the last few bits of PE on the funnel (yes, there is still more to do!) and then paint and touch up... which I will do tomorrow...

There is a LOT of work in this kit... But it looks really good in the flesh, so was money very well spent as far as I am concerned :thumbs_up_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:38 pm 

Hi All,

Slightly slow progress while I fiddled with the PE on the funnel. I re-did the sirens and the funnel brackets several times before I was happy with them, lost a part for a few days and then found it again (3mm x 0.5 mm, tiny bit of PE - how I found that is beyond me!).

Anyway, It isn't perfect and I still need to do the pipes to the sirens, but its reasonable and looks good on the model. I hand-painted all the brass and that worked well as I thinned the paint really well and that helped to tidy up some edges as well without spoiling the airbrushed finish.

Here we are today... doesn't look like much has been done since lat time, but it was very time consuming, not least as I re-did some things time and time again until I was happy. There is a bit of PE that doesn't quite have the sharp edge on the rails at the upper funnel platform in profile I would like... but its fine and I cant do much about it... I've tried! :smallsmile:

This picture has been cropped closely and then zoomed... so the quality isn't great. I used thick paint as a filler between the cut down rails on the lower platform and was really happy with the flush finish... but its hard to see here. Definitely works though, so I will do this again...!

Bill

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 6:35 pm 

Any recent progress to report, Bill?

Ship Model Gallery

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 7:01 pm 

Hi Martin,

I have been prety slow lately. I had a court case against my old company which took over a year to get to court so the past few weeks or so have been taken up with that. I was confident, but even so, it was all a bit stressful and took up a lot of mental energy... I had restarted modelling in part to take my mind off it a little. Anyway, after a few nervous days in court I won the case and they are due to pay me a around 30 grand, which is about half what I was taking them to court for, but a win is a win I suppose...

After that I went away for a week down to Redmire to help with some work on the pool and give myself a bit if a break and then last weekend my girlfriend came over from Ireland... So was busy there too!

I HAVE done some stuff though... been building masts and adding a lot of extra detail. I have been taking pictures as I have been going but I didn't think it was worth posting until I had completed them as it is slow work and I have been building and re-building which doesn't always help anyone following the thread...

I will do some more work on it tomorrow and will post something then... But I need pushing, so thanks!!!

Report this post
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 226 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next