The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 226 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:52 pm 

You are a very brave man! Great work - look forward to seeing some paint on her.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:04 pm 

Thanks Martin... Yes... I would like to see some paint on her too!!! Problem is, the further I go with adding detail or cleaning up the kit parts the harder it looks to paint! Obviously I am going to leave most of the PE off the funnel and anything ultra delicate until the major painting is complete... but its increasingly likely I will have to handpaint the camouflage. Not looking forward to that an awful lot!

Carried on this evening cleaning up and adding PE. Nothing is glued in place yet - all dry fitted to see what it looks like and find errors, so one or two parts are not square or level but it gives you and idea of what the kit is beginning to look like.

I have forgotten to add a bracket on the front superstructure... I'll use some PE scrap for that tomorrow... Other than that, I think tomorrow I will airbrush the deck. This is the 700 scale model with butt ends moulded into the deck, other than simple parallel lines... So I am going to have to be very careful with the washes otherwise they will be too prominent. Oddly, if you look at the deck carefully, all has the enhanced planking pattern apart from the rear shelter deck which is plain parallel lines...

If anyone has any suggestions, especially with regard to the painting, they will gratefully received...!!!

Bill

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:54 pm 

Hi All, Thanks for the comments so far (despite the board still not showing page 2 of this thread...!)

Anyway, moved on to getting the basic painting done. I airbrushed the 507C light grey first and then airbrushed the 507A dark panels after masking them. I then airbrushed the deck with Teak freehand. I had decided that I am going to paint the camouflage free hand and as most of the points where the deck meets the superstructure would be repainted anyway, there seemed no point in masking... made it quicker anyway...! :big_grin:

This is still a rough first coat... but once the camo is drawn out and then handpainted and a wash applied, all the edges will be hidden in the wash which tends to fill all the corners and cavities and produces a nice shadow/weathered effect.

Anyway, this is how she looks tonight. Tomorrow I will start painting the camouflage. Think that is going to be a bit of a trial... (still, nothing could be worse than rigging and then re-rigging Tiger... so this is a bit of a breeze so far!
First painting of main components
Placed on the hull loosely
Close up of the deck showing WEM's planking detail.
Catapult and main hanger

Right... looking forward to drawing out the camouflage tomorrow... May even start painting some of it! I will need to fit the lower bridge in place first because I need to deal with the seam between the two parts representing the lower bridge and signal deck... but that should be easy enough. Enjoying this... :thumbs_up_1:

Bill

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:59 am 

Looking nice Bill; very smooth around the bridge windows you installed! I was looking at a well known photo of Renown and noticed some kind of piping or other fitting that goes from the fitting above the bridge windows down and off to starboard. Do you, or does anyone else know what it is? I noticed that it's not modelled on the WEM Renown or my Pit Road model...
Attachment:
HMS-Renown-1942a.jpg
HMS-Renown-1942a.jpg [ 85.4 KiB | Viewed 1136 times ]

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:17 am 

Thanks Blackbrazen... I am following your Nelson for inspiration, so its nice hearing from you on this :-)

The cable or piping seems to run to the DF antenna on the front of the bridge. Not at all sure what it is to be honest but it is prominent enough and I was going to use very fine wire to but need to fill the seam between the two parts of the upper superstructure first. One of those 'should I paint now or paint later' dilemmas, because I cant fix the seam until the camouflage painting on the recessed surface is done... Anyway, it will be added... but you reminded me of the bracket on the superstructure that braces the signal deck that I haven't put on either... thats the same... I cant get into the top corner of the recessed surface of the superstructure to paint the camouflage there with that bracket in the way... so I will have to paint all the surfaces on the internal plane first and then fix them together than deal with the seams and then paint the outer surface, matching up the camouflage in line with that already painted (there has to be an easier way to explain this but my brain is clearly not functioning this morning!!! :big_grin: ).

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:28 am 

Looking forward to see how you tackle the camo. Very crisp looking build!

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:03 pm 

Beautiful job so far Bill! :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:

Bob Pink.

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:58 pm 

Had a bit of a nightmare today.. tried handpainting the superstructure camouflage and hated the finish I got. Stripped it off and painted the MS3 with my airbrush and got a glorious finish... then airbrushed the B5 and got the shape a touch wrong... tried to correct it with another mask and then messed it up. Should have left it as it was as it was looking pretty good... Damn... how many times have I done that! :-(

Stripped it off and repainted the MS3 again... Have to have another go tomorrow... Bloody hell... Should have picked something easier or I shouldnt be quite so fussy with my painting... Still, got the seam on the superstructure fixed and added the pipe on the front of the bridge...

Here it is with my third attempt at the camouflage... basically started again! This time using the MS3 as a base colour and I'll put the blue and then the 507C on top of that. The MS3 will cure overnight and I will have another go at the blue B5 in the morning. Still, I'm determined to do a post every day so I keep the momentum going...

Bill

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:20 pm 

Looking lovely! Nice work on the pipe thingy!

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:17 pm 

Thanks Blackbrazen :-)

Couldnt sleep... so decided to do the first part of B5 on the main superstructure. This is going to take ages if I do it one bit at a time... but it seems the only way to airbrush it and keep it neat. Still have quite a bit of B5 to go on this side plus a continuation of the 507C on the top, from the midway along the compass platform, forward towards the bridge windows... But anyway... an hours work :big_grin:

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:50 am 

Continuing with the painstaking task of painting the camouflage.

Having looked at several photographs, several plans and several different model, each camouflage pattern has very slight variations in it... so which to use. I decided on the photo in BB of WW2 on page 252, only to find on what I thought were camouflage patterns to be canvases drying over railings! Decided in the end to go with the camouflage depicted in the instructions which is very close to the drawing in the Profile Morskie book.

Basically, I downloaded the PDF file from PM (12 Euros) and printed out the 700 scale camouflage patter. I then put Tamiya masking tape over the pattern I want to copy, draw round it with a 3b pencil and cut out the mask and stick it directly to the model. Its slow, but its accurate. If you mark reference points on there, like portholes or edges of panels it is easy to get it aligned correctly, but best of all, I can use my airbrush and get the paint finish I want... :thumbs_up_1:

Slow... but getting there...

Bill

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:03 pm 

:thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:

Bob Pink.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:17 pm 

Well, thats one side done anyway... I'll have a break for an hour or two and then start on the other side... then the funnels. Then the hull. If I can get this all done in the next couple of days or so then I can glue all the main components together, give it a coat of Future to protect all the paintwork and then start building again. Loads of details and photo etch to add on this model. This WEM kit is certainly both challenging and very enjoyable... :thumbs_up_1:

Bill

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:09 pm 

Bill Livingston wrote:
Well, thats one side done anyway...

Sweet!! That looks fantastic. I do the same thing with the camo patterns, btw.

Ship Model Gallery

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:57 pm 

Thanks Martin... You will enjoy this kit when you get round to it... The camouflage is a bit tricky but this technique seems to work so if you are used to it, it will pose no problems...

My biggest difficulty its lining things up so that square on they look part of the same shape. Bizarre thing is, as soon as you go off line it looks seriously weird when you look at it in three dimensions. The starboard side looks like the ship is turning away from you when its clearly square... the port side looks like the grey is slightly convex against the green slightly concave on the front port face of the superstructure, yet when viewed straight on its the opposite! I can only imagine that this camouflage would make it quite difficult to see what course the ship was sailing and would be pretty good at upsetting a few pilots on a bombing or strafing run... cant see it being of much use against subs or capital ships though... but I'm not an expert...

Anyway, managed to get the second side done... more or less... there is some B5 blue to go on the rear end of the superstructure. Got some PE assembling on the funnels before its worth airbrushing the camouflage on them I think... I will look tomorrow as my brain is a bit frazzled.

Now I see this at a sensible size I can see that I need to touch up the 507C light grey to line everything up on the various decks... Looks like a mask moved or I didnt put it in the right place to start with... So unlike the lower part, which is pretty good, the upper superstructure decks look a bit messy... nothing lines up. MUST correct that! Thankfully they are not glued, so it will be easy to do. Benefits of doing a blog... I have seen loads of things I have then gone back and corrected... so its worth doing!

Edit: Here it is... corrected...

And where I am so far... An AWFUL long way to go...! :thumbs_up_1:

(BTW. I have worked out why the leading edge of the green looks concave on the front port side of the superstructure... the WEM casting of the superstructure is slightly concave on that face itself... so straight on, it looks fine, but at any angle it looks concave. I cant correct the part, so I will paint a convex leading edge to the green camouflage on that face and that will correct it from any angle other than at 90 degrees to the face... but it only needs to be a little bit... and no-one would know...! :-))

Bill

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:39 pm 

Managed to complete most of the port side camouflage. I am not entirely happy... there are a couple of points where I had to hand paint in order to tidy up some masking errors and the paint is considerably thicker and a touch more glossy where I have done this. I think I will let the paint cure fully and then try to cut some of the paint back with some thinners in a lint free cloth. I have done this in the past to thin paint down and smooth the finish once dried and it works pretty well. If it does, I will mask more roughly and use a brush to get the lines completely right and rely on the airbrush to give an even finish in the body of the paintwork. But for a first attempt I am reasonably pleased... Much harder to do than I thought... particularly trying to get the camouflage pattern absolutely right following plans and photo's that don't necessarily agree with each other!

Obviously the boot topping needs painting in and I expect that will help tidy everything up considerably... At the moment the camouflage looks odd as the hull sides where the camouflage is painted are currently much deeper than they should appear in reality... so the bottom shapes are wrong. Once painted in, it will look a lot better again. Seen a couple more errors looking at this post... so off to sort them out before I forget! Funnels to go and more of the hangar and rear shelter deck plus all the small deck detail... plus all of the other side to go... This camouflage is a LOT of work!

Bill

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:14 pm 

This ship looks brilliant! You have certainly put a lot of work into it, and I think you are doing a wonderful job on it. Renown looks a beautiful ship, and so intricate with that camoflage. Thankyou for giving such detail in your build process.
Excellent, and I cannot wait to see more.
All the best, Ray

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:37 pm 

Yep, well worth the effort. It's looking great! The colours are spot on!

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:47 am 

Hi, Bill!
I think you did a great job so far.
After you will have applied the boot topping, things will tidy up quite a bit. If you think that the colour contrast is too sharp, a grey wash will help. But what do I tell you, you know that of cause.
Concerning the "Thickness" of added hand paint: I think that the effect will subside as soon has you add the second layer of matte coat.
Well done, Bill! Very inspiring, too! It seems that your hiatus hasn't done you any harm. Good speed of progress, too!
Make sure to get in touch with the Fine Waterline SIG to secure some display space for Telford!

Cheers,
Guido

Never wear your best trousers when you go out to fight for freedom and truth. - H. IBSEN

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCk8zhb1sc4Pe3BRLqq3d-SQ

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:24 am 

That looks absolutely amazing Bill...masking can be a tedious job, but look at those results...WOW!!!...great job :thumbs_up_1:

Dave :wave_1:

Report this post
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 226 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next