The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 226 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:07 pm 

Looking like The next German pilot to see it would wanna drop a bomb. (I hope you unnderstand the compliment hidden in that statement.)

Planned builds:
3 more 1/700 AH submarines

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:00 pm 

Of course I do :-) Thank you Snr Gopher, nice compliment :wave_1:

This really is a great kit and it looks like it will build into a really nice replica of Renown. If anyone is considering buying the WEM Renown, I'd recommend they go for it. The amount of work in this makes it really good value :thumbs_up_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:10 pm 

No problem at all, and really, hopefully you will start putting it together. That's why I put off painting (accurately at least) until I am happy with how I built the vessel. But then the paint is too hard to apply, then I feel as if I should throw it at someone.

Planned builds:

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:17 pm 

Just downloaded the 7 megapixel camera application for my iPhone. (59p... thats 88 cents!) I think its pretty good, this is a photo using it. This isnt cropped or anything... this is full frame. If any of you have an iPhone and want a close up camera, then this works pretty well :thumbs_up_1:

Gives you a good idea of the paint finish airbrushing with WEM paints... A few dust specks and a little roughness on the hull sides where I didnt get all the paint off from when I tried to handbrush... ah well... at normal size you cant see them. My brass barrels should come tomorrow... Looking forward to getting them...They are going to be fun!

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:59 am 

The brass 15" 700 scale BMK barrels turned up this morning from WEM... Fast service!!!

They look really good...

(The penny is the same size as a 1 cent...)

I am going to airbrush them white, then use a very thin slice of masking tape to mask off the underside of the barrels and then airbrush five of them B5 blue and one 507C light grey.

This is a photo of Renown from the book HMS Renown 1916-1948 by Peter C Smith

I'll see how close I can get them to this!!! :big_grin:

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:42 pm 

Location: About 50 miles away from the Gulf of Mexico ( traveling W is you do so :)
Good progress Bill :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: and lovely job on the camo :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: at that scale i'm sure it takes alot of dedication.

Jose :wave_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:37 pm 

Thanks again guys... Finally finished the camouflage!

Also have painted the brass gun barrels white and will leave them overnight to cure and then mask them underneath in preparation for the upper colour. I can then add a few brackets here and there and then start gluing bits together!

Phew... that was hard... but enjoyable!

Here are the funnels. Still lots of detail to add and I need to mark thin pencil lines down them (thanks Jim) to suggest the panels... but the basic camo is done.. just need to do the black tops, but I'll leave that until after the grilles are on and I have added a few of the prominent pipes that show through the grilles.

Looks a touch rough from this close! :smallsmile:

Overall view from just off the starboard bow...

Now for some building.... :woo_hoo:

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:49 pm 

:thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:

Bob Pink.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:03 am 

OOOOOOOOOOO!! The guns. The best Part!!!, if I do say so myself!!!

Planned builds:

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:01 am 

Hi Bill,

HMS Renown 1916-1948 by Peter C Smith, I read the book at the moment. Very interesting and informative.

About masking, at the Lübeck modeling show I have bought Micron Masking Tape in size 0,4mm, 0,7mm, 1,0mm, 1,5mm and 2,5mm. The very small tape is usefull for masking small parts etc., could be also a match for masking the gun barrels.

AKA "Painter"
VMF'06 - German Gamblers
Veritable Modelling Friends 2006, Germany

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:38 am 

Hi Christian, Yes, it is. I started reading it a few days ago... brings the model alive too.

I am re-doing the gun barrels right now. I painted them, masked them and painted the upper colour yesterday, but when I went to fit them I realised that the masking wasnt too even, some edges were a little blurred where I hadnt pressed the tape edge down firmly enough... but the biggest problem was the paint didnt stick too well on the brass. I hadnt prepared the surface finish and just airbrushed the white enamel on first, then masked and sprayed the upper colour. That caused a problem on one or two barrels with paint not adhering...so I scraped it all off with a scalpel blade, gave it a gentle scrub with some 800 grade and then washed them, first in white spirit and then in soapy water, rinsed them in clean water, dried them thoroughly and then gave them a blast of acrylic metal primer. Once I did that I sprayed the white (underside colour) and now I am re-maskimg them. This time the paint has stuck really well and I have let it cure thoroughly before masking as well. Masking tape needs a lot longer for the underlying paint to dry than merely painting over the top... I should have remembered that!

Anyway, I am masking using Tamiya tape. The biggest problem is the geometry in getting the taper in the masks right. The gun barrels are about a third to a quarter white on the underside and then the upper colour is mainly B5 (blue grey) with one barrel, on the left hand rear turret in AP507C light grey. To get the masks the right taper means cutting a length of tape the diameter of the rear of the barrel and the diameter of the end of the barrel and the same barrel length long... (Pi is around 3.14 of the diameter, making the diameter just less than a third of the circumference, which is, coincidently, what I want, if my brain is functioning correctly. It seems to be, because it looks about right! :smallsmile: ) and then fit it totally square so the underside lines are parralel. The problem is, at this scale, even being a tiny bit out means the demarcation line isnt perfectly level, if you follow, and, because they are so small and so sharp, it is easy to see the error. I can get one side perfect easily enough, so what I am doing is getting any slight error on the inside of each barrel, rather than the outside, so it will be less obvious to anyone looking. Maybe two parallel strips of .4mm tape would be easier... It certainly would be useful to get some of this masking tape though. Have you a link Christian?

Anyway, here is what I am doing... and the barrels next to a standard pencil for some sense of scale. You can see my masking tape cut by scalpel to give me the tapers I need and a masked barrel and a plain barrel. The barrel has been painted white, the underside colour, and I am just about to spray the B5 again... hopefully, this time the lines between the two colours will be sharp and the paint wont come off!!!

Driving me mad.... but its working... and most importantly, I have learnt how to paint enamels onto brass.... Preparation is all!!! I should know that by now... but it doesnt stop me from being lazy or impatient! So... I am just about to finish the barrels for a second time in two days... :big_grin:

EDIT: Here they are. Far from perfect when magnified this much... especially on some of the edges where I havent sprayed evenly, but you cant see any uneveness when looking at them normally, so I am going to leave them as they are. The bottom one, the 507C coloured one, looks pretty good to me. The paint seemed a bit cloggy with the B5, I need to order some more I think. But anyway, these are acceptable as far as I am concerned and look perfectly OK to the naked eye in 700 scale...

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:33 pm 

Bill Livingston wrote:
.......I am concerned and look perfectly OK to the naked eye in 700 scale...

yep, we are talking about scale 1/700. To me they look perfect :thumbs_up_1: Sometimes it is really a problem working with optivisors and look to highly detailed photos :big_grin:

AKA "Painter"
VMF'06 - German Gamblers
Veritable Modelling Friends 2006, Germany

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:04 pm 

Hello Bill

The Renown is a magnificent unit. I hope that you will carry out this built.
I have planned to make a Renown in 600scale from the Airfix Repulse but before that I must always do the Furious.
WEM kits seem very detailed but there are always things to improve for better realism.
I read the post since the beginning even if I have difficulty in translating ..; lol

Amitié Rémy

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:20 pm 

orionv wrote:
I read the post since the beginning even if I have difficulty in translating ..; lol

Amitié Rémy

LOL!!! Understand :-)

The WEM kits ARE very detailed, particularly when you get really 'into' the model you realise how much work has gone into producing it. They are certainly worth the money.

However, I think we all secretly really want to build something from scratch and produce something beautiful, and accurate, and from nothing but very basic raw materials. I think that is why I admire your modelling so much... and people like Jim B who adds or modifies so much in his models that they really bear no resemblance at all to the original kit… Both of you produce something quite unique. I could produce something reasonable from a good kit as I can be quite neat and tidy in my builds... But there are modellers on here who just have that special 'something' and produce a model way beyond what most of us produce. You are one of them. Thanks for your comments :thumbs_up_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:23 pm 

Aw those barrels are looking great Bill! That pic in Peter Smith's book is a great reference. Good work on the masking...looks tricky but it's paying dividends! :thumbs_up_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:49 am 

Hello Bill,

Congratulations for this exceptional build !

About painting the underside of the guns, being the laziest of the lazy (and the clumsiest of the clumsy too) I would not even have attempted to cut a precisely tapered piece of masking tape but I would have tried instead with two rectangular overlapping ones forming a sort of 3D triangle. I am pretty sure it would work for 1/350 and larger scales, but I am not sure for 1/700 though, as everything tends to become so fiddly down there.

Anyhow, keep up the good work!

Jean-Paul

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:43 pm 

Thank you for all your comments. Jean-Paul... That is a FAR more sensible way to mask the guns... Thanks. I think it would work in 700 scale as well... As usual, I was making things more complicated than it needs to be. I tried it to tidy up the ones I wasnt happy with and used your suggestion... it was much easier... I also used a brush and thinned paint and it was fine masking with strips, so thank you for that :thumbs_up_1:

Really nice to see such encouragement, especially as progress has been so slow as I am trying to get the painting of the major parts completed before sealing them and moving on to the assembly. If anyone finds building can sometimes stall, I would recommend doing a WIP on here... everyone keeps you motivated and 'in the game' so its easier to keep going... particularly when you hit a bit of a brick wall. If I had known about this section a few years ago I may not have left the hobby for a few years...!!!!! I was terrible at leaving things after a few days and then starting something new a few months later! This section is great for people like me who never seem to keep the motivation going... :thumbs_up_1:

Anyway, I have got the guns mounted... resprayed the teak deck and have now started to paint the deck details. They are different colours so will take a little while... but she is looking pretty good at the moment :smallsmile:

Need to do the blast bags when I feel comfortable with doing them. May try using white glue this time. I did milliput blast bags on HMS Tiger and they looked fine... but it was a lot of very hard work... I have been advised to use white glue, so will give it a go this time and see how it works. Anyway, this is Renown this evening...

I have to respray the steel decks with AP507A and finish the deck detail painting... Hopefully get that done tomorrow and have a go at the blast bags.

Bill

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:48 pm 

Like I said before, the Best Part!!!! (For now anyway) :heh:

Planned builds:

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:51 am 

Lovely looking barrels! Are you going to put different shades of wood on the deck before you seal it? I reckon it'd look nice with some different colours to break up the single shade. How are you going to use white glue for the blast bags? I haven't heard of that one before...

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:22 am 

hi bill..
i can only echo what you have said about my abe lincoln,
this is a super build! :thumbs_up_1: :woo_hoo: :thumbs_up_1:
renown is one of my favorite ships and your work is definately doin this beautiful ship justice!
leigh :cool_1:

Report this post
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 226 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next