The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:39 am 

Greetings to everyone. Here i´m back with this magnificent modelship and my poor english aswell... :heh:

I´ll try to give her a good approach with Cyber-Hobby PE set, WEM Pe set and colourcoats ,MK-1 PE set and full range of Master Barrels for the SH (from 20mm to 280 mm).

First, i did a good base for her...She deserves a throne to the height ... I bought a couple of badges from my local hobby shop as perfect partners with this and other future DKM projects i have . Later on i´ll made a elegant banner for her. All the materials i used are from a big hardware store.....(Leroy Merlin)

Of course, i opened all the windows, and made a middle-barrier to prevent the light to cross the ship.... :cool_2:

With almost 70 cms of lenght, is very easy to throb the hull and damage it so, in order to prevent this, i decided first to paint the hull and let her rest in the base. First of all, I wanted to be grateful for Olaf Held, for his good advices on the range of colors and schemes to using. Well, she will had the Osfront scheme so work in masks are the first step. Since i am a proud owner of a laser cutting machine, is very easy to develop this masks...

With Corel Draw we layout the main lines, over the model....(thanks to Rob Mc Clune for his excelents CAD designs of SH..)

Then i cut the masks over Tamiya´s mask tape (the one with 4 cms of thickness). As you can see, is a neat and clean finishing job (Is it above mentioned well like that?)

From lighter colour to darker, this is the results...

Except the white, that is brokened with some heavy thinned light gray, the rest of the colours are not yet "threated". I´ll work on them here in after ..

I worked too on the main batteries. Some PE were added and the white colour were dirtied aswell...

And the 37mm are in progress too...

That´s all for the momment

Best

Last edited by kubaro on Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:33 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:46 am 

Impressive! :thumbs_up_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:50 am 

Excellent and sharp modelmaking--good methodology ....

--showing lots of planning ahead! :thumbs_up_1:

Jim Baumann :thumbs_up_1:

IPMS UK SIG (special interest group) www.finewaterline.com

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:57 am 

Looking very good. I like it. Dan.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:55 am 

:worship_1: Excellent work!

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:12 pm 

Great work on the hull paint job :thumbs_up_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:37 pm 

Thanks for the comments, Sirs. And thank you, Dan, in help us to take notice in to the kit´s instruction many mistakes..... i´ll Keep my eyes in your nice work on your SH... :thumbs_up_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:08 pm 

Bloody hell - that is gorgeous!

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:21 pm 

Kubaro, the chevron shaped tie downs on top of Anton and Caesar turrets were only on Gneisenau. It looks amazing otherwise.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:54 pm 

Great build and paintwork Kubaro.
Look forward to following your work, Dont worry about your English, we can understand your explanations and the photographs are first class too.

Well spotted Rob, my kagero plans show the chevrons,
so I looked at the pictures on page 20 and 24 in Conway's Maritime Modellers series Battleship Scharnhorst.
They clearly show the fronts of the turrets with no chevron.
I would not have picked that one up.
Regards to you both.
Richard :thumbs_up_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:09 am 

Where's the *Like* button? :thumbs_up_1:

Happy modelling ~ Olaf!

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:35 am 

rtwpsom2 wrote:
Kubaro, the chevron shaped tie downs on top of Anton and Caesar turrets were only on Gneisenau. It looks amazing otherwise.

You´re right, Rob. My guide was Kagero´s Super Drawing 3D, and MK-1 PE set wich include the chevrons.....

After have take a look of some pictures, i only have seen something similar in this shoot:

I´m quite lazy to undo that... i´ll think about it.... :whistle:

Thanks for the notice...

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:36 am 

When you can't see something like the mast or the conning tower and you just aren't sure whether a picture is Scharnhorst or Gneisenau, there are still lots of ways to tell. First off, the cranes. If you look over the aft 150mm turret in the picture you can see a pulley for the crane. If the pulley there is on an angled mount it is Gneisenau, if the mounting structure is vertical it is Scharnhorst. Also look on the shoulders of the barbettes for Anton and Bruno (not visible because people are standing in the way on that picture). If you see some large tubes on the shoulder of the barbette it is Scharnhorst. Another good way to tell is the breakwaters directly in front of the 37mm that are mounted on the main deck abeam the bridge. If the breakwater extends to the edge of the deck it is Scharnhorst but if it only goes to the edge of the splinter shield around the 37mm's it is Gneisenau. The other good way to tell relates to the bottom of the Wobble pots mounted just afore the boat cranes on the back of the bridge. Look at the bottom of the cylinder that the wobble pot is mounted on. If the bottom of the cylinder is conical like an ice cream cone, it is Gneisenau. If it transitions into a flat surface, it is Scharnhorst. This is some of the best work I have seen on the Scharnhorst, and I would love to help, as I am sure Olaf would be as well. Feel free to PM or email me if you have any questions or need advice. For the record, you need to add a door on the back of the armored bridge at the top of the stairs that go nowhere. It got left off somewhere in the process and I like to point it out whenever I can.

This is the first look I have had at the Kagero book, but I see a couple things he (the modeler) got wrong. The chevron of course, but also the boat and boat davits abaft the 37mm breakwaters. They were removed in 1941. It looks like he got a lot right as well, though, and I know how much work it takes, so I am not knocking his abilities. I'll be the first to admit I got a few things wrong on mine as well.

Olaf Held wrote:
Where's the *Like* button? :thumbs_up_1:

Or the upvote button. :thumbs_up_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:36 pm 

... and more of it ...

The crane booms itselves were different, angled on GU, curved (as if bent) on SH. Then, in your photo there are raised hatches (or whatever they represented) visible, the 150mm barrel is pointing at them from this angle. Only GU had them, the same applies for the same type of boxes/hatches/skylights on either side of the forward heavy turrets. Then, there are two boxes visible left of the pressure bottle beneath the catapult on your photo. SH did not have them (AFAIK). Oh ... not to forget a difference in painting (yippieeh!), the bulkhead between the 150mm single mounts was in superstructure light grey on GU, but in hull grey on SH - at least when painted in the so-called piecetime livery (50/51 scheme).

@ Rob ~ Regarding the back of the armored bridge, are you referring to the stairway and the platform scratchbuilt by Tracy?
http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=59538&start=40

Happy modelling ~ Olaf!

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:12 pm 

Yes, there is a platform included with the kit, but no door.

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:23 pm 

May i think that you´re talking about this?

Anyway, your help is more than welcome, sirs, ..... :thumbs_up_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:57 pm 

That's the one.

*EDIT* After closely inspecting that image I see a number of errors in that model. The biggest two being that shape of the wings on the admirals bridge and the construction of the splinter shields around the bridge. Those both appear to be from Gneisenau, not Scharnhorst. Also the modeler has misinterpreted the platform in front of the wobble pot, I am not sure how to describe it better, but it is off.

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:11 am 

kubaro,

I think it looks good even with mistakes, and thanks for posting those 3D pics. They gave me a new interpretation of the small cranes.

Dan.

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:31 am 

The overall appearance is actually very nice. Glad to see the foretop galery platform - that thing alone was re-shaped four times on SH.

The area in front of the AA directors was altered during one of the earlier refits, I'm not quite sure about the layout on GU. Maybe this 3D model is a mixture of two ships and different time periods. Funny, how sisterships can be that different.

I always wondered about the shape of the armored bridge, was it pointed like in this illustration or more soft like on the Dragon model? Maybe another difference between the two sisters? It looks odd with this sharp edge ...

Happy modelling ~ Olaf!

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:47 am 

I have two pictures that show the back end of the armored bridge. They are both of Gneisenau taken from a pier or nearby ship so they are looking up at the bridge from slightly aft.
they are okay but they aren't the best. They do indicate pretty well that it is rounded. However the bridge is not a very well photographed area and if I am proved wrong, I will not be very surprised.

*EDIT* I would also note that some of my drawings, notably the ones from Waldemar Kaczmarczyk, indicate it was rounded but other drawings like the Koop/Schmolke ones, indicate pointed.

Report this post