The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: WW1 Royal Navy books
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:50 am 

I'm currently trying to fill a big gap in my knowledge regarding the Royal Navy in the First World War. Can anyone recommend any books - particularly first hand accounts - regarding the operational use cruiser/destroyer and smaller vessels during the First World War? I see there's plenty out there regarding Jutland and the Battleships/Battlecruisers but i'm particularly interested in the more routine activities, particularly submarine patrols and convoys

Thanks, Rob

Post subject: Re: WW1 Royal Navy books
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:53 pm 

Hi Rob,

I'd check my shelves, but IIRC, I have two books about WW1 smaller vessels, one treating about the Dover Patrol, another one about the Harwich Patrol.

I'll let you know.

Just call me the "Cereals Box Killer" , I guess :big_grin:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:02 pm 

Hi Rob,

Here are a few that might work for you. The first is currently available. The others can often be found at http://www.abebooks.com/

Cheers,
George

Friedman, Norman
Fighting the Great War at Sea: Strategy, Tactics and Technology
Pen Sword Books Ltd, United Kingdom, 2014. Hardback. Book Condition: New. 289 x 245 mm. Language: English Brand New Book. The overriding image of the First World War is the bloody stalemate of the Western Front, but although much of the action did occur on land, the overall shape of the war - even the inevitability of British participation - arose out of its maritime character. It was essentially a struggle about access to worldwide resources, most clearly seen in the desperate German attempts to deal with the American industrial threat, which ultimately levered the United States into the war, and thus a consequence of British sea control. This radical new book concentrates on the way in which each side tried to use or deny the sea to the other, and in so doing it describes rapid wartime changes not only in ship and weapon technology but also in the way naval warfare was envisaged and fought. Combat produced many surprises: some, like the impact of the mine and torpedo, are familiar, but this book also brings to light many previously unexplored subjects, like creative new tactical practices and improved command and control. The contrast between expectation and reality had enormous consequences not only for the course of the war but also for the way navies developed afterwards. This book melds strategic, technical, and tactical aspects to reveal the First World War from a fresh perspective, but also demonstrates how its perceived lessons dominated the way navies prepared for the Second.

Taffrail (Captain Taprell Dorling,D.S.O.,R.N.)
Endless Story.
Being an Account of the Work of the Destroyers,Flotilla Leaders,Torpedo Boats and Patrol Boats in the Great War. £ 10.00 00-Dec-01 Hodder & Stoughton, London, 1933. Cloth. Book Condition: Very Good-. No Jacket. Charles Pears (illustrator). Reprint. 8vo - over 7¾" - 9¾" tall. Blue tweed cloth. dark blue text. Endless Story Being an Account Of The Work Of The Destroyers, Flotilla-Leaders, Torpedo-Boats and Patrol Boats in the Great War, with a frontis. by Charles Pears, in colour. 451 pages.Has foxing to endpapers,and slight foxing to page edges. 10 illustrations and 29 diagrams.

Scrimgeour, Alexander
Scrimgeour's Scribbling Diary: The Truly Astonishing Wartime Diary And Letters Of An Edwardian Gentleman, Naval Officer, Boy And Son (ISBN: 1844860752 / 1-84486-075-2)
When young Alexander Scrimgeour lost his life at the Battle of Jutland in 1916, he had already left a legacy - complete diaries spanning the previous six years, chronicling his life a wealthy stock broker's son, then his time as a young sea cadet and finally as a Sub-Lieutenant in the Royal Navy. Scrimgeour took great pride in writing his journals, carefully recounting events with marked sincerity. Appalled by some of the actions of the British Admiralty and the Germans alike, he risked court-martial to record notorious incidents of World War I. His candid writing and articulate and imaginative turns of phrase shed light on some extraordinary moments of the Great War. A great deal of attention is devoted to his personal life, including numerous love affairs, his relationship with his family and his anguish at the loss of close friends killed during the war. We have many accounts of Tommy, but few of Jack. This eloquent account of the Great War from a naval standpoint redresses the balance, and is nothing less than a marvel of social and naval history.

Keyes, Lord
Amphibious Warfare & Combined Operations (ISBN: 9781125211151)
Lees Knowles Lectures, 1943. (Cambridge at The University Press: September 1943) Second Edition, with eight maps. The campaigns studied are: Canada 1759; The China War, 1900; The Dardanelles Campaign, first World War; the Belgian Coast, 1918; the second World War. Cloth pp. x, 111., 1943.

Bone, David W. (author); Muirhead Bone (illustrator)
Merchantmen-At-Arms: The British Merchants' Service in the War E.P. Dutton, New York, 1929.

Etienne" [W.S.R. King-Hall]
Strange Tales from the Fleet
Methuen & Co. Ltd., London, 1919. Original Blue Cloth Hardback. Book Condition: Very Good. First Edition. 7" Tall. 1919. 145pp. First world war Naval tales. A collection of 17 stories including David and Goliath, The Stunt, The Classics Afloat, An Affair of Honour, The Guest Night, The Sewing-Machine, At Sea etc.

Belknap, Captain Reginald R.
The Yankee Mining Squadron, or, Laying the North Sea Mine Barrage
Annapolis: U.S. Naval Institute, 1920., 1920. ¦ Association Copy, signed ÔI was there. World War I. Arthur Kerns. 1918. Inverness, Scotland,Ó with his embossed notary public stamp. Second printing of the 1919 first issue. 8vo, 110pp, frontispiece, 15 b&w photoreproductions and illus. Black cloth, gilt lettered, lt.-mod. Account of U.S. Navy mining operations in the North Sea during World War I.

Campbell,Rear Admiral Gordon,V.C.,D.S.O.
My Mystery Ships
Doubleday, Doran & Company, Inc., Garden City New York, 1929. Hard Cover. Book Condition: Very Good. No Jacket. Lieutenant J. E. Broome (illustrator). First American Edition. 8vo - over 7¾" - 9¾" tall. FRONTIPSIECE FIRST EDITION STATED Foreword by Rear-Admiral William S. Sims. Introduction by Admiral Sir Lewis Bayly. On Q-Ships

Hallam, Squadron Leader T.D.
The Spider Web
A&AP, 1979. Flying the Felixstowe F2a on anti-submarine patrols in WW1. 278pp A facsimile of the 1919 edition. An enthralling account of life at an East Anglian flying-boat station during the first world war.

King-Hall, L.
Sea Saga, Being the Naval Diaries of Four Generations of the King-Hall Family
London Victor Gollancz Ltd 1935., 1935. good+, black cloth (hardcover). 541pp. Illustrated by B&W illustrations. Binding is HC.

Bennett, Lieut. Mark
Under the Periscope.
W Collins, 1930. Hard Cover. Book Condition: Very Good. Dust Jacket Condition: Very Good. 254pp, a realistic and detailed picture of life on a submarine during WWI, most are personal experiences of the author

Pound, Reginald
Evans of the Broke
A fascinating and absorbing biography of Lord Mountevan's eventful military career. The life of one of the most famous naval officers of his generation. Second in command to Scott of the Antarctic, legendary destroyer skipper in the Great War, the King's emissary to Norway and 'Evans of the Blitz' during WWII.

Etienne [W.S.R. King-Hall]
A Naval Lieutenant 1914-1918
London Methuen & Co. Ltd. (1919)., 1919. good, blue cloth (hardcover) lacks front free endpaper. 260pp,plan,ads With HMS Southampton at Jutland WW1 experiences. One of the author's purposes in writing this book was to provide a personal record of the North Sea was as applied to the Grand Fleet. Illustrated by B&W ill., plans.

Patterson, Alfred Temple
Tyrwhitt of the Harwich Force: The Life of Admiral of the Fleet Sir Reginald Tyrwhitt (ISBN: 0356045307)
MacDonald & Jane's, London, 1973. Book Condition: Good. Dust Jacket Condition: Good. 1st Ed . Thus. 8vo. The life of Admiral of the Fleet Sir Reginald Tyrwhitt .1870 - 1951 . 336 pp . 17 b'w . ills . Black cloth with marked rear board . Clean text ; intact but shelf - worn d/w . The first full - length study of the charismatic WW I commander of the Harwich force of destroyers and light cruisers .Passed out from Dartmouth 1885 - in command Home Fleet Destroyer flotillas 1914 ; Commodore [T] Harwich Force 1914-18 ; 1919 rear admiral , Post war in the Mediterranean ; 1925 vice admiral , China during Chiang Kai-chek's take over ; 1929 admiral , The Nore ; Admiral of the Fleet 1939 . A protege of 'Jacky ' Fisher's , Tyrwhytt was 'a man of tremendous courage and a born leader at sea . His Harwich Force was recognised .. as the most efficient of all the detached squadrons . It spent more days at sea and suffered greater losses than any other British force during the war. ' - OCSS.

Gray, Edwyn
British Submarines in the Great War (ISBN: 0850527767)
Pen And Sword Books Ltd, UK 2001. The Dangers Faced By Submariners At War - And Even In Peace - Are Self-Evident, But At No Time Were They Greater Than During The Great War Of 1914-18 When The Submarine Was In Its Infancy. First Published In 1971 This Is A Classic Account Of The Underwater War By One Of Britain's Foremost Naval Historians. It Also Serves As A Timely Tribute To The Courageous Deeds Of The Pioneers Whose Legacy Has Inspired Their Successors Right Through To The Present Day.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:43 am 

Admiral John Jellicoe, The crisis of the naval war.
He wrote more books but I only have this one.

Edwyn Gray is good also like the one recommended by George.

John Terraine, Business in Great Waters
Covers both wars in terms of naval warfare...more dedicated to submarine and trade warfare.

Don Everitt, The K. Boats: The amazing story of Britain's steam submarines
About the K class steam submarines.

John Winton, Convoy - The defense of sea trade - 1890-1990

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:20 pm 

Just an additional note on author Edwyn Gray. As he is very readable, his book has been published many times, same book with different titles.

Cheers,
George