The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:35 pm 

Having read many of the books reviewed here, I found " The USS Ward" by Richard P. Klobuchar interesting. It's a operational history of the ship who fired the opening shot of WW2 though it's demise as a APD three years later to the day. Interviews with surviving crew members add to the human element that is sometimes missing from the " big picture " works on the pacific theater.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:14 pm 

medicmike we seem to have similar interests'.

"Shattered Sword" is outstanding! Midway myths dispelled.
"We Will Stand by You" is excellent, it's about the exploits of an ATF named Pawnee from just prior to Guadalcanal and 23 months after. Good representation of the Aux fleet in the Solomon's!
"Tales from a Tin Can" is awesome! Numerous quotes from a lot of the crew. The author attended nearly all the reunions of USS Dale, a Farragut class DD. Battle of Komandorski Islands here.
"Japanese Destroyer Captain", already mentioned, a good point of view from the other side.
"Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors", he covers all the ships getting damage in the Battle off Samar. Very good reading as you found out.
"Hell from the Heavens", is about USS Laffey and he goes into details about every bomb and kamikaze hit.
"In the Hands of Fate" is about PatWing 10, PBY's stationed in the Philippines' from before the start of war to the time they disbanded in May '42. I love this book, he covers all the losses and short history. PBY's needed seaplane tenders and he covers the movements of them, but that's about it. Just a good read and how attrition takes it's toll on a squadron.
"Rising sun, Falling Skies" the Java Sea campaign is excellent. Not only battles are covered, but he gets into a little of the politics which influences many decisions. His timelines kind of jump around a bit, so it's a little hard to follow though.
"A Dawn like Thunder" is about Torpedo 8. They weren't all wiped out at Midway, they actually took part in the Guadalcanal campaign. Another excellent read!
"That Gallant Ship" covers Yorktown's history and movements.

I have other books, but these are some of my favorites.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:51 am 

In honor of the Lady Lex being found this past week, I re-read "Queen of the Flat tops" by Stanley Johnson. My copy was a fourth edition, printed in 1942. It's a good narrative, but boy is it dated with jingoism, racism and lots of false claims about Japanese ships sunk. However, being that is was published in the heat of the moment during a ferocious war, it's not surprising.

Overall, I still enjoyed it, because it told a really good tale of the ship and her crew, which tried desperately to save her. Glad I picked it up again.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery