The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Kagero 3D USS Arizona
PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:44 am 

Just purchased this book and on the whole think it is very well done. It shows the ship in 5-S camouflage with red turret roofs and unpainted decks. It also shows vertical support posts on the lower portion of the boat cranes, something I had not noticed before, but looking at the photos in the Stillwell book, there they are, most visible on pages 159, 242 and 251.
A couple of things that I'm not sure of are the numerous speaking tubes shown on the flag bridge and funnel observation posts and that they show the ships' boats without anti-fouling.
Still it is a good book and will come in handy when detailing my 1/200 Arizona, which is taking me way too long to build.
John

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:02 pm 

Hi,
How well does the book convey the hard to get details from plans? The area where the tripods meet the deck is a little of a mystery to me.
Also, does it cover details like paravanes, loudspeakers, tubing, wiring, peloruses, etc? And yes, I suffer from AMS :crazy:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 5:14 pm 

The book is very nice for a lot of the general information, but lacking in details in a number of areas. The 1.1" director platforms up forward are quite incorrect and called searchlight platforms, and the aft ones are just plain missing. There are several views of the forward quarterdeck area that show either bolt patterns or exposed plate for the engineering soft patches. Neither are correct. The set of bitts are missing from the stern and the passageway between the frame 88 bulkhead and the lower vegetable locker is not shown at all. The aft 1.1" gun tub base is shown as round, it should be square. The bases of the mushroom vents should also be fairly square. There are other things if one wants to get picky, but what I mentioned illustrates some of the issues.