The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:36 pm 

Hello there!

I posted a question on the main forum some time ago asking for the best book on each of the carrier battles in the Pacific during WWII. Now I tried to answer my own question and this is what I came up with:

1) Coral Sea: Blue Skies and Blood by Edwin P. Hoyt
2) Midway: Shattered Sword by Parshall and Tully
3) Eastern Solomons: Carrier Clash by Eric Hammel
4) Santa Cruz: Carrier Strike by Eric Hammel
5) Philippine Sea: Red Sun Setting by William T. Y'Blood
6) Leyte Gulf: The Battle of Leyte Gulf by Thomas J. Cutler

Please give your honest opinions and if so the better alternatives! Also looking for the definitive book on the attack on Pearl Harbor and a book that tells the whole history of the war in the Pacific (apart from If Mahan ran the great Pacific War by John A. Adams).

Thank you very much!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:29 am 

Good list.
I'd add one, Neptune's Inferno by J. Hornfischer. It's a most riveting book on the Guadalcanal naval battles. Although you can't compare it to any other book -after all authors have different styles, focus, etc, this one is one that will stand the test of time.

Guadalcanal was a special type of battle, fought in close confines, and at night. Horrific combat, I now believe that naval fighting is the worst form of warfare.

Hornfischer has achieved the right balance between telling the story as seen from the top, with all the personality conflicts amid the brass and the experiences of the ordinary sailor, which were no ordinary, let me tell you.

Good, thogh few and too small, photos compliment the book.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:47 am 

Shattered Sword now that's a book. Most excellent. :thumbs_up_1: Kevin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:55 pm 

In addition, I still like Gordon Prange's "Miracle at Midway", even if it's an older volume.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:40 pm 

PeterE wrote:
Good list.
I'd add one, Neptune's Inferno by J. Hornfischer. It's a most riveting book on the Guadalcanal naval battles. Although you can't compare it to any other book -after all authors have different styles, focus, etc, this one is one that will stand the test of time.

Guadalcanal was a special type of battle, fought in close confines, and at night. Horrific combat, I now believe that naval fighting is the worst form of warfare.

Hornfischer has achieved the right balance between telling the story as seen from the top, with all the personality conflicts amid the brass and the experiences of the ordinary sailor, which were no ordinary, let me tell you.

Good, thogh few and too small, photos compliment the book.

Got Neptune's Inferno on loan from the local library as a result of reading this thread. Pretty much agree with what PeterE says, above. For my part I find it a bit of a ponderous read cover-to-cover. I admit to skipping ahead to find and read about First Battle of Guadalcanal. However, there are enough gems of information scattered throughout the read to keep me seeing what the next page brings.

What I do think the books lacks is a good fold out map of the South Pacific *1942* like the book has inside its front and back covers. To me, having a map handy makes it easier follow the flow of events.

I doubt I'll buy the book as a shelf reference. Having it available for checkout from the library meets my needs (except I can't make personal notes in the margins). I do recommend it for reading.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:04 pm 

Please allow me to add my most recent read to this most auspicious list:

Becton, F.J. The Ship That Would Not Die. Prentice-Hall. c/w 1980. 323pages with b/w illus.

Thanks to Adm (Ret) Becton, I feel I know intimately the Sumner-class DD in general, and the USS Laffey (DD 724), in particular. And along the way survived one of the most brutal Kamikaze attacks ever inflicted on a warship. In addition, lots of descriptions of ships of all types this valiant destroyer interacted with along the way. As well as their crews on a personal basis. Highly descriptive text.

Favorably recommended as a read. Probably only available from a lending library. Although I found my copy at a used book store. Next read through will develop a 3x5 card index for reference purposes. Like I say, lots of useful info here for the scale warship builder. And a quick read. The action moves it along briskly. Never a dull moment in a destroyer's life.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:01 pm 

I just finished "Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors" by J. Hornfischer. A very detailed book about Taffy 3 and the Battle of Samar. A very good read and highly recommended. I am already looking for Neptune's Inferno for one of my next reads.

Current projects:
1/700 USS Catamount 1960
1/350 USS Columbia 1945
1/350 USS San Francisco 1944

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:41 am 

The Pacific Campaign by Dan van der Vat is a great read too.