The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:18 am 

Since joining these forums a week ago, I realized I could be adding a lot more details to my builds but getting good sharp pictures online is a real hit and miss. So I've open up to getting a few reference books but I have no idea where to start and which ones are good.

I do IJN 1/700 so I need info on them

A quick look at a my usual shopping grounds (HLJ), these ones caught my eye
18 Heavy Cruiser by Kojinsha
25 Light Cruisers by Kojinsha
Battleship 12 Ships by Kojinsha
Imperial Japanese Navy Light Cruiser by Model Art
Imperial Japanese Navy Heavy Cruiser by Model Art
Imperial Japanese Navy Battleship by Model Art

I have a few of each ship type still sitting in "The pile" and I would like to start preparing for them now.
My main interest is adding more details to my kits so books that give pictures of where windows, doors, ladders, rails and support structures is what I'm looking for.
Will the books I listed be a good start an give me a general view for each ship? Sounds like Kojinsha series will have a chapter for each ship, don't know about Model Art. Anyone own these books can tell me what I can expect to see, will they have schematics and historical pictures for each ship?
I want to pick up one of the book series either the Kojinsha or Model Art which one should be a good start? or is is there a better starter set by a different publisher?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:00 pm 

The Kojinsha books have nothing to do with modeling, they are strictly pictorial and illustration details on IJN ship types. Are there better options? Perhaps, depending on what kind of reference material you really seek.

The Model Art books are comparative, illustrating differences/improvements/enhancements between the real thing, and the kits that portray them. They are good to have if you do not have any of the Model Art Ship Modeling Special volumes or Model Graphix Navy Yard Specials.

A great reference library link (soon to disappear): http://www.ijnwarship.com/Reference/Index.htm

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:11 am 

Thanks for the info

I've already ended ordering Kojinsha's Heavy Cruiser and Model Art Destroyer to get a feel of each one.
From the looks of it I'll probably get more info from Model arts illustrations but there is just something about seeing the real historical picture of a ship and trying to replicate those details that gets my building juices flowing.

Well we'll see which series I'll pick up once I get me hands on both

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:27 pm 
As I am sure Dan will tell you, all technical drawings and models should be treated with at least a grain of salt as they are someone's interpretation of what the ship looks like. So from that standpoint, photos are indeed the gold standard for accuracy.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:37 pm 

I think what you really want are the photograph volumes from Shizuo Fukui, as published by Diamond-Sha

http://www.ijnwarship.com/Reference/Ref ... 0Album.htm

And this thread on other Fukui volumes:

http://shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewto ... =6&t=11670

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:01 am 

Also into 1/700 IJN and like the original poster, i would like to detail them thoroughly, question

Is "Ship Plans of the Imperial Japanese Navy" worth getting or getting "Japanese Naval Vessels 1865-1945" by Fukui enough for me to discern the details i need?

Thanks !

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:07 am 

Personally, I always think that getting plans or the Fukui books is worthwhile. A lot depends on what references you already have on hand. (Btw, there is a Fukui 2 volume set, and a Fukui 3 volume set , using that same "title".)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:14 am 

Thanks dan.. but current finances only make me choose either the fukui 3 volume or the plans... well just a matter of priority.. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:44 pm 

Hmm, that's a toughie. Which plans, the Hara Shobo volume?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:01 pm 

Dan

Its this

http://www.ebay.ph/itm/252384107679?_tr ... EBIDX%3AIT

vs. this

http://www.ebay.ph/itm/371232251004?_tr ... EBIDX%3AIT

which one would you think i should prioritize, considering that im into 1/700 IJN, and would like to "spruce up" my builds either through scratch building or aftermarket parts?

thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:03 pm 

I'm sorry to be so late getting back to you on this. I don't know if you went ahead and purchased anything.

Personally, I think the 2 volume Fukui book will be more useful unless you are scratch-building from start. More views and detail available through the photography. The plans resemble those of the Hara Shobo volume but, it covers a limited number of ships.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:22 am 

Havent yet Dan. I think i have to research more before i plunge in with my hard earned $$$

Anyways if not the Fukui book or the plans, i was eyeing on some Gakken volumes over the internet and thinking it over hard. Last time i bought a Gakken volume only the first few pages had the illustrations (all of them photos of 1/100 or 1/200) scale models of IJN Battleships and the rest of the volume is full of text i cant otherwise read. that's why I'm researching first on the primary resource materials that would bring the "best bang" for the buck so to speak, and looking at the threads here, i think Gakken 21 (for Kongo class BB's) and Gakken 38 (for Mogami class cruisers) are highly recommended.

Also, aside from Ebay, where do you get your resource materials and books? cant find some volumes (such as Gakken 32 ) elsewhere.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:01 am 

The Gakkens are very good, though I see them as important supplements to the Fukui books. Both for the photos, and for the large scale models. Here's a listing of all the Gakken volumes that were published: http://www.ijnwarship.com/Reference/Ref ... Series.htm

# 65 is also devoted to the Kongos. I happened to have purchased each Gakken as it was published, so I was fortunate that way. Each Gakken volume has a mix of photos, illustrations, and large scale models, which tend to be very authorative.

The KMM/Diamond Sha volumes are still available, but most other references have to be purchased second hand. If you are interested in Kirishima, I can also recommend this: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=161273

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:48 pm 

So its going to be Fukui then insofar as "primary" source materials then

Another question, i see two volume Fukui's and Five volume fukui's.. pardon the question but are they the same or some of the two or three volume fukui's are included in the five volume set? Or are they different?

Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:24 pm 

The 5 volume set is really histories, and mostly in Japanese with sketch illustrations. I wouldn't buy them for your primary source.

The three volume set came before the two volume set. Both are strictly photographs with some captioning and tables. The three volume set covers:

1) BBs & BCs
2) Cruisers, Corvettes & Sloops
3) CVs, seaplane tenders, sub tenders

These are pretty comprehensive in their coverage. No DDs or Sub volumes were ever published as part of the series.

The two vol set does include those other types by excising some of the material from the initial three types. So, it's kind of a toss-up as to which set is more worthwhile.

The KMM volumes that I wrote of cover all the categories with large format, high quality versions of selected photos from each category. Not as comprehensive, but still very worthwhile.

A little confusing, right? It's actually part of a plot to make you buy all of them, like I ended up doing. :eyes_spinning: