The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:57 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:29 pm 

I know that a good set of plans are available from the Smithsonian but I'm wondering if anyone knows of another source for accurate plans for the SS United States. Years ago I bought plans from Taubman, but I think they may have been developed off of the Glencoe model or some other inaccurate source material. I have seen hull lines posted online at reasonably high resolution, but not all the notes can be read. Does anyone know where these documents can be found that would be usable to blow up to a reasonable size?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:50 pm 

Some years back, maybe 15 or so the Mariner's Museum in Newport news,VA acquired from what was then Newport News Ship Building, a set of drawings suitable for building an accurate model of the SSUS. I have such drawings. Although many of the print where of no use to me as a modeler, such as engineering, plumbing and electrical, I was able to procure lines, decks profiles and plan views for the occasion of my current build of her. See the Works in Progress section for the log I am starting. Although, the work is well underway, I was going to post it's progress from the start as long as interest remains. You mentioned you were familiar with what the Smithsonian has to offer, and I also have some of their drawings to complement what I already had. With a good set of photos, research and a little help from from your friends, a fine rendering can be had.

In case you don't have a copy of the catalog listing for the SSUS from the Smithsonian....here they are. Good luck and let me know if I might be of some help.

Gene

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:36 pm 

I have the catalogue, at least an older version of it. All I really need is a little better copy of the hull lines shown on this page:

http://www.ss-united-states.net/SSUnite ... Trials.htm

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:50 pm 

That I have. I can email you a larger file than I can post it here. Where can I send it to...

Gene

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:45 pm 

I'm new to the forum and I am looking for plans for The Big U. I would like to ask if anyone might be finished with their plan sets and might be looking to part with them?