The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:16 am 

http://bismarck-tirpitz.com/?lang=en

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:21 pm 

Thanks for posting, wanted to do this by myself since days...

Now things are getting really interesting, since the Tirpitz finally has arrived in Norwegian waters. You will be surprised how often they moved around there, not just idling in one or two fjords for months...

The two authors have done a very :good_job: on this one, like they did on Vol. I and II, not to forget the fantastic 3D-illustrations done by Stefan! :thumbs_up_1:

Happy reading ~ Olaf!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:40 am 

Received my copy today; what a wonderful book it is! What a difference it is to physically hold it in my hands!

Happy reading ~ Olaf!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:36 pm 

Hello everybody,

Well, I do not think I need to say anything more when you receive a feedback like this one on facebook :

Quote:

James Stewart‎ - 13 December 13th, 2016 at 23:15

I recieved the three Tirpitz books on Monday and have to say absolutely worth buying. I was told I would not be disappointed and these words have been proved true.
There are so many photos I have not seen before and the art work - well the first really good WW2 art work I saw and loved was that in the late 1960's history by Prunnell's and the IWM ("History of the Second World War"). the art work in each of the three volumes is simply 1st Class.
I put off buying any of these books , always had a mind to get them but never seemed to get around to it so I "bite the bullet" and bought all three - no regrets at all.
The books impress at all levels.
In quality of production , information, photographic content , art work, maps and diagrams all show a degree of thought as to presentation, context and I dare say the selection of high quality images used.
Tirpitz would be a ship I would have a general knowledge of and I would never have professed more than this so buying the three books was a good decision on my part and having spent a while with them I know I have have had good value for money.
What has been really nice are the series of "Then and Now" images and related diagrams which really great .
The build of the books - have to say that the authors set a high standard and the publishers did not let them down in achieving it.
The size of the books, quality of paper, clarity of images (pin sharp) , binding is tight and font size is excellent.
really glad I invested in these three books and look forward to Volume IV in due course - I will not wait as long to buy it .
I do hope the final volume will cover the post war fate of the Tirpitz and the sad fate of many of the men who died in her.
If you have not yet seen the authors books I can only recommend them, my turn to say " you will not be disappointed".

PS. It is worth mentioning the great trouble the authors have gone to in researching and in documenting the history of the ship - travelling to Norway - exploring the Fjords finding and mapping locations - no one could say Robert & Antonio have not done their homework.

Bye Antonio :thumbs_up_1:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:23 pm 

Received Vol III last week, very informative, another first rate effort. Had a question about the camo scheme from June 42, 334G in your book. You show the port side medium and dark shades as green and blue. This has been discussed and discounted by most other sources. What is your documentation for this? Thanks Dan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:56 pm 

Hello everybody,

@ Dan Banks,

thanks for the positive feedback Dan, I am glad you liked the book Vol. Nr. 3 on Tirpitz.

The scheme reference 334G is the first version of the Operation Rosselsprung scheme the Tirpitz had on her for few days only on early June 1942.

The second Op. Rosselsprung a bit modified scheme, is the 365G, the one the Tirpitz kept on her from June 1942 until June 1943.

I think the majority of the sources you are referring to showing this camouflage were utilizing the information I have released on 2004 on some websites, later utilized on many books and on the recently published Kagero 3d profile by Stefan Draminski.

Anyway, this is the correct version, with its 2 evolutions.

The main news are those ones :

1) The base light grey is made of 2 colors, RAL 7000 starboard base and RAL 7001 ports side base light grey.

2) The port side is not on grey tones but on Blue Grey and Green grey tones, this because the scheme is intended to show a Royal Navy battleship depicted on the Tirpitz port side.

3) Confirmation of the Royal Navy battleship profile can be found on teh mainmast ( Tripod structure depicted ) on the funnel scheme, on the bow and on the stern profiles.

Hope my explanation is clear enough.

Please leave your feedback on our website ...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:51 pm 

Hello Antonio, long time, I guess my main concern is, from a modelers perspective, Tirpitz in the June 42 to Summer 43, has been represented as, Ral7001,7000,7016, or the three tones of Decend's Norwegian blue greys, or the ones you have represented in Vol III. Any of these schemes can be logically made a case for. Is there any documentation to support one or the other? Survivor recollections, official documents, log entries, anything concrete. If not I guess I will pick one and be happy until someone discovers a color photo, or comes up with a way to accurately interpret black and white to color. Don't you just love us picky bastards?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:03 pm 

Hello everybody,

@ Dan Banks,

YES, ... long time, ... still it is a pleasure ... :smallsmile:

I am surely the main responsible of having showed her since 2004 on grey tones both sides with a base RAL 7001 hellgrau and RAL 7024 graphyte grey dark patterns.

I have never seen a Tirpitz drawing of this camo scheme made with the three tones of Decend's Norwegian blue greys, ... I like to see it in case you have it, ... just to satisfy my curiosity about what has been realized about it.

Moving on my book Nr. 3 Op. Rosselsprung scheme, what I can tell you is that the starboard side is with no doubts at all since there are some color photos available, ... so no problems about it, ... the only concerns can be on the port side.

Once we have established ( for the first time ever ) that the 2 semi-part of the ship are very different ( port vs stb ) and the ship is " cutted " in two sections perpendicularly, ... with 2 different base light grey's too, ... we need to realize what color they used to represent the KGV class British battleship they Painted on the port side.

You can easily see that the port side colors are not the starboard side ones, so no RAL 7001 and RAL 7024 on port side.

Comparison with the Admiral Scheer color photos on same period do show that the darker one on port side was a BlueGrey, ... and the lighter one was a Green Grey and we just used the ones available on the Admiral Scheer original color photos of summer 1942.

Mr. Hans Gally on his fantastic Tirpitz drawings was showing the same scheme on port side, ... and I am pretty sure that his information was coming from the many Tirpitz survivors he did interview, ... but I will ask him soon ... just for curiosity again.

I attach his scheme here for you and everybody else to see ...

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:28 am 

Just to clarify, I have yet to find the source for Dechend suggesting those three Norwegian blue-gray tones. He recommended in 1942 or 1943 to render the (grey) colours less intense by adding small amounts of ultramarine and/or burnt umbra to them (need to look that one up). Mixing paints was strictly forbidden by the 1941 paint regulation. The following edition came out in 1944 and it allowed mixing, and it is very likely that this is based on the Dechend recommendation AND that they did so even before the 1944 edition was issued. In this we find more grey tones and blue tones when compared to 1941, and, above all, different paints for use in coastal areas and for the open sea.

The Gally colours were, as far as I know (but I never spoke to him), based on eye witness accounts from Tirpitz survivors and, in one case, from a Norwegian bloke living in that area, who seemed to remember very clearly the green on Tirpitz. This and the colours used on Hipper and Scheer at that time made it feasible for Tirpitz painted this way as well. We three (Robert, Antonio and myself) were debating this for a long time (even before Vol. I), and of course, we can be wrong, but in the end it seemed the most logical approach to us. Of course, finding that the ship was literally split in half as pointed out by Antonio (RAL 7000 one, RAL 7001 on the other side) made things even more difficult, esp. when you compare "known" colours in b/w-photos to the other colours, and how they contrast with each other. I always thought that this "split" was the greater find, not the use of that green...

Happy painting ~ Olaf!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:16 am 

Thanks for the feedback guys, as I look again at the pictures of Tirpitz, it is obvious that the base coat on the port side is lighter than the starboard. Good detective work. You can look at pictures for years and assume what you are seeing is correct, but not really looking with a prejudiced eye. In reguard to the Norwegian bluegreys, there was a schetch that came with the Snyder and Short paint chip set #1 for KM that referenced those colors. Their were also some color schetches in the original "Anstriche und Tarnanstriche see Deutschen Kriegsmarine" Jung, Abendroth, and Kelling, that were from Dechend's ideas for camouflage. Many of these were very closely used as masters for the schemes that were actually used, and the one for Tirpitz port side is shown in the bluegreys. I know this publication has many errors, so this is not offered as proof, just an answer to Antonio's question. Again, great book, great series, can't think of another naval vessel that has been covered in as much detail. Looking forward to the rest of the series. One request, in vol. II you had renderings of the other ships that took part in the Balticflotte operation. Would it be possible to do the same for the Rosselsprung operation? Thanks Dan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:47 am 

I tried ordering a volume but I am considering to cancel my Paypal payment as I did not receive a confirmation e-mail and no response to my e-mail if my order has been received. Nobody seems to be home...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:25 am 

EJ, Ihad trouble ordering from their website so I sent Robert an e-mail, he had Pay Pal send me a payment request, and I confirmed it. Got the book in about two weeks. I've done that on all three volumes.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:37 am 

Received a reply to my "help where is my order" e-mail. Getting a bit too sensitive over poorly functioning webshops I guess...

I'm looking forward to these volumes. Tirpitz was on my to-do list for a long time (but not anymore).

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:21 pm 

Hello everybody,

@ EJFoeth,

any problem feel free to contact me directly of course.

Probably the person in charge was busy, ... today he is surely back in action.

In case of need I can manage it personally, ... everything, both payments and shipments, ... no problems of course.

Just let me know ... and of course I want to have your feedback ... :thumbs_up_1:

In order to recover from this inconvenience, ... I will open here in this forum a preferred " Communication Channel " for all Tirpitz modelers ... so you can ask me directly all you want to know more about the Tirpitz and support you thru the model realization, ... on 1/700, ... 1/350, ... 1/200 and also now on 1/100.

Lets use the : " Calling all ship fans " of Bismarck/Tirpitz thread about it from now onwards, ... I will be checking it almost daily.

Bye Antonio :smallsmile:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:32 am 

The first three volumes arrived yesterday. I only had time to flip through them, but they appear to be a Warship Perspective volume of steroids. Many well-reproduced and many (to me) new images of Tirpitz, additional information, and (as far as I could tell) very good CG renderings. Each volume concludes with a few "today" shots of the historical shots that fall in the category "nice but not needed" but soit. Expensive, but, you get very sturdy hardcovers (I like hardcovers). So far I like what I see. A lot :thumbs_up_1:

Just wondering, will there be a volume with drawings too? I have my sources (even though German is not on the menu :smallsmile: ) but I see an excellent opportunity to replace that awful AOTS Bismarck volume and to issue relevant details of German Warships (boats, guns, radars, directors, searchlights etc) in nice, properly scaled drawings. It would conclude the series very nicely.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:55 am 

Hello everybody,

@ EJFoeth,

I am very happy about your feedback, ... thanks, ... and I hope you will enjoy further more the information contained into the first 3 volumes ( of a series of 5 in total ) regarding the Tirpitz.

Me and Robert have been tinking a lot about the ship drawings publication too, so your proposal is well taken, but we all have to consider that a material like that does already exeist and has been produced by Mister Hans Gally.

Mister Gally drawings, which are the best available and are in scale 1/100, are very complete and detailed. You only have to realize how to acquire the many information contained on it and it is not so simple, unless you know perfectly the life of the Tirpitz and the many modifications the ship received thru her life.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php? ... 7211957783

http://3dhistory.de/wordpress/the-drawi ... ans-gally/

Mister Gally does have also the Bismarck and the Admiral Scheer drawings available, on same perfect quality.

http://3dhistory.de/wordpress/wp-conten ... pitz01.jpg

http://3dhistory.de/wordpress/wp-conten ... pitz02.jpg

http://3dhistory.de/wordpress/wp-conten ... pitz03.jpg

http://3dhistory.de/wordpress/wp-conten ... pitz04.jpg

Anybody that wants to purchase the set of 4 drawings in scale 1/100 as said can write a letter to Mister Gally here : Mr. Hans Gally Bismarck / Tirpitz drawings - 1 : 100 scale - Hans Gally Konrad-Adenauer-Ring 34 - ZIP 76316 - Malsch - Germany.

You may have noticed that we do use Mister Gally Tirpitz profile from his drawings as our website background image :

http://bismarck-tirpitz.com/

Anyway, your idea is good, ... we will be thinking again about it and about a more compelete set of rendering on 3D to shwo more Tirpitz close details.

I suggest you and anybody supporting this idea to write it on our website feedback page, ... so we can see how many are interested about it too.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:24 pm 

Don't mean to pound this but I am old and of diminishing mental capacity. Olaf, you have mentioned many times that you have official painting instructions for 1941 & 1944 KM ships, and that the 41 reg's strickly forbid mixing paints. The green and blue port side Tirpitz colors we have discussed are not in the 41 official colors, nor is the previous green and brows of the previous camo scheme? If they were forbidden to mix, how is this possible?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:56 am 

Hello Dan ~ Exactly this is why I wrote above:
Olaf Held wrote:
Mixing paints was strictly forbidden by the 1941 paint regulation. The following edition came out in 1944 and it allowed mixing, and it is very likely that this is based on the Dechend recommendation AND that they did so even before the 1944 edition was issued.

It means that the 1944 regulation is based on the Dechend memorandum from 1942/43 in which he recommended the mixing, and that the paint guys were following that recommendations even before the regulation came into print.

I know, a lot of guesstimating from my side, but I have no other explanation for colour photos showing colours that are not in the 1941 regulation.

I think for the port side the dark gray received amounts of ultramarine (to render it less intense as recommended by Dechend), and the green paint could be one of three in the 1941 regulation.

Happy painting ~ Olaf!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:20 am 

Just wanted to make sure I hadn’t missed vol 5. Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:50 am 

I'm looking forward to Volume V myself. Hopefully it appears soon.