The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:52 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:39 pm 

Greetings,

I am looking for information on the Japanese predreadnought cruiser Matsushima. I stumbled upon a picture of this ship and as silly as it sounds, think it is the coolest looking ship to ever hit the water :smallsmile: . I have some info on the ship from my 1906 Jane's but I'm really looking for plans.

The ship was French built, but CAA doesn't have the plans online. Taubman has plans for one of her sister ships, but the other two ships of the class are completely reversed, only the Matsushima has a stern mounted 12.6" gun.

Anybody know of maybe a Japanese source for plans?

Thanks in advance.

Post subject: IJN Matsushima
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 6:37 am 

Standby; I`ll (t)ask my wife and/or son to search (they know kanji so much better than I).

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:09 pm 

IroncladNut wrote:
Greetings,

I am looking for information on the Japanese predreadnought cruiser Matsushima. I stumbled upon a picture of this ship and as silly as it sounds, think it is the coolest looking ship to ever hit the water :smallsmile: . I have some info on the ship from my 1906 Jane's but I'm really looking for plans.

The ship was French built, but CAA doesn't have the plans online. Taubman has plans for one of her sister ships, but the other two ships of the class are completely reversed, only the Matsushima has a stern mounted 12.6" gun.

Anybody know of maybe a Japanese source for plans?

Thanks in advance.

The 1990 edition of the Journal "Warship" has a nice article on the Matsushima class vessels. I agree that they are an interesting class of warship. You'll find the Warship article to be about the best info in English available on this class. As for plans of Matsushima herself, I don't know. But the Warship article has a nice four view set for the Hashidate. Side and deck views along with two showing all the internal layout. :eyebrows:
The ships saw some action at the Battle of the Yalu and Matsushima took two 30.5cm hits from Chen Yuen, one of which did some serious damage.

Bob B.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:27 am 

Hi,

Anybody know where to look for a copy of the 1990 "Warship" journal, I see the series used over and over as references in books but have never located any of them...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:11 pm 

IroncladNut wrote:
Hi,

Anybody know where to look for a copy of the 1990 "Warship" journal, I see the series used over and over as references in books but have never located any of them...

Try AbeBooks (USA). They have a copy for $50 US. That is cheap by the prices some of the volumes run for. I just checked their site and it is available in VG+.
If I had the computer set up I would scan and email the article to you, but I'm in the stone age with my computer set up :eyebrows:

Bob B.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:18 pm 

it is also a russian book, of course in russian with a lot of illustrations at
http://morkniga.ru/r765-81.html - 82. Крейсера типа "Мацусима"
ciao peppe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:16 pm 

The Warship journal was printed by Conway? Right?

Anyway, I've ordered plans listed by Taubman for the Matsushima's sister ship. Hopefully they will be of some use, the ships seem to be quite similar in layout, only reversed.

I'm not holding my breath in regards to their quality, because $10, Taubman and nice plans don't go together in the same sentence :(

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 8:10 pm 

Greetings all,

I thought I'd bump my own long dormant post back to the top... believe it or not I just now found a copy of Warship, 1990 and have it on the way. After 10 years the Matsushima is still on the back burner.

Thought I'd bump this to the top to see if any new sources of info on this ship have popped up?

Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:40 am 

Book. Published in 2005.
https://knigaplus.ru/katalog/books/mili ... 926_47864/

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:04 am 

This might interest you
https://lib.rus.ec/b/575681/read

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:23 pm 

Thank you for the replies guys,

I have my copy of Warship 1990 and a copy of the 2005 book in Russian. For those that are interested, the above link is the 2005 book in a format that can be translated via Google Translate.

I would really like to find the gentleman who did this drawing. I had to re-size it to post, it is from the 2005 book. It looks like the initials are "WU '84"

The detail is too great to being going off of guesses... he had to have some access to period drawings.

There is also a reference in the book to: Journal de la Marine, 1890 but I have been unable to find any info on this publication.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:47 am 

from a japonese book (mecanism of japonese battleships 1)
ciao peppe

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.