The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:21 pm 

Hey guys,

Is there a good English language source of information on these ships? I've gathered pretty much everything I think I can on Redoubtable, but would still like to learn more about the Devastation class ships. I'm particularly interested in how these ships were modernized during their later careers. Historic photos seem to contradict a lot of what is listed in Conway's concerning their re-armament.

As far as the barbette ships go, I have the general plans for Amiral Duperre and Amiral Baudin class ships from the French Archive... but they are considerably lacking in topside detail. I've found a few photos of a large model of the Amiral Duperre that are helpful, but none for the Baudin class.

After many years of searching... and mostly by dumb luck, I found a general plan for the Terrible class barbette ships in the online Danish archive. They provided hull detail. but as with the French plans, are very sparse when it comes to the ships superstructure. I have found relatively few photos of this class... and most are far too grainy to be a much use. I cannot even figure out where the ships's secondary battery was actually mounted, as the plans show them mounted exposed on the spar deck.

I would very grateful for any assistance.

Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:25 am 
I don't know of a good english source, but I always find it very useful translating the topic You're interested in other languages, preferably russian (I use wikipedia). As I found out, there seems to be some kind of contest of posting as much photos and plans as possible on the russian speaking internet...
For example, "battleship Courbet 1875" roughly translates to "Броненосец Курбэ 1875". Just try, there may be a lot of useful stuff hidden.
Good luck!
Christian

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:31 pm 

Try these russian forums :

http://tsushima.su/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4269&p=3

http://forums.airbase.ru/2014/12/t61620 ... uerre.html