The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lex/Sara CV ref books
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:11 am 

Hi all,

Starting a rather ambitious and challenging new project. I'm going to build Trumpeters 1/700 Lexington in her May '42 appearance and Trumpeters Saratoga in her "late 30's" appearance.

Are there any good books out there, with an emphasis on detailed pictures obviously, that I can use as a point of reference?

These two ships have been heavily modeled in the past and I already have some good model picture references but many lack the information needed for historically accuracy ie paint measures used, what specific paint colors used on their models, and if any aftermarket products were used.

Appreciate any/all help....also mods, if you want to move this post to the calling all Lex fans, that's fine by me. :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:00 pm 

Dan, there a few books out there that cover those two ships. Warship Pictorials by Steve Wiper offers two books. The first, WP#11 covers both ships and the second, WP33 only covers Lexington. David Doyle produced two 'Squadron at Sea' books for Squadron Signal Publications that cover both ships respectively. Also the is a book written by Robert C. Stern that goes into great detail about the construction, layout and service careers of the Lexington class ships. All are great references and I happen to have all five including the Maryland Silver plan book. Unfortunately, I have nothing built to show for it and probably never will so I am open to the idea of selling some or all if interested. Hope this is of some help to you.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:27 pm 

Hi Buddy,

Id be very interested in purchasing WP #11 for a good price if you no longer want it. PM me :)

Also, just throwing this out there, if you might eventually build a Lexington class ship, I'm even open to the idea of a loan situation where I'd give the book back when my builds are done. Definitely would "rent" the book for a fair price ;)

Either way, let me know and throw me a fair price, thank you in advance!!!

Don

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:25 am 

Sorry for the late reply. Let me check it's condition when I get back home this evening and the will get a price to you.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:13 am 

Having built Lex in may '42 condition, I feel WP33 is really indispensable for her appearance at that time. The photo's of her at Coral Sea are reproduced much better than anywhere else I have seen.

The Doyle book on Lex is also excellent. Many more pics on the rest of her career, but which are also helpful for understanding the ship and detailing.

Good luck with the project!

Marijn

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:20 am 
Model Monkey
Model Monkey

Concur. WP#11 and the David Doyle books are all superb.

-Steve L.

Complete catalog: - https://www.model-monkey.com/
Follow Model Monkey® on Facebook: - https://www.facebook.com/modelmonkeybookandhobby