The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:10 pm 
Apologies if I previously posted in the wrong forum:

I am looking for a source with drawings of the 1880's RN Admiral Class Battleships, especially HMS Camperdown. So far, I have Norman Friedman's British Battleships of the Victorian Era, which has a good plan drawing but no corresponding overhead or front views. I believe the National Maritime Museum sells drawings but they are very expensive and probably overkill for my needs. In particular anything that would show any sheer or tumblehome in the hull or superstructure would be very useful - are there any reasonably priced references out there?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:53 am 

they are two russian booklet on the class but i think they are out of printing. if you send me your email i can send you the copies in a better resolution.
for now....
ciao peppe

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:07 pm 

one more drawing of bembow and a color profile of the camperdown
ciao peppe

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:07 pm 
Peppe, thanks for your response. Unfortunately I've been unsuccessful in registering an account on this site so I can't see your attachments or your email address. If you could email to: conekiller3(at)yahoo(dot)com, that would be much appreciated thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:37 pm 

I was able to finally log in, those pictures are great, thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:41 am 

There are some good original plans online, I think they were on the website of the rmg but I'm not quite sure. Anyway, I found them again on CulturePics, so here's the link:

https://culturepics.org/on-this-day/index.php?year=1889&month=10&day=10&source=&collection=

Those plans give You the right feel for the shape of the Admirals, they weren't as box-like as they are mostly depicted.

Looking forward to whatever You're doing!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:27 am 

Thanks - I had some thumbnails of those drawings but these are slightly better resolution. The profile view is the same drawing that is a huge centerfold in Friedman's Victorian battleships book, which is my main reference - too bad the overhead views aren't included as well. All the drawings posted here have been most helpful - it does look like the hull and superstructure have some tumblehome amidships, although it isn't obvious in most pictures. The end goal for now is to 3D print a 1/1250 scale waterline model so maybe I am over thinking the tiny details, but we will see how it turns out!

Christian Reber wrote:
There are some good original plans online, I think they were on the website of the rmg but I'm not quite sure. Anyway, I found them again on CulturePics, so here's the link:

https://culturepics.org/on-this-day/index.php?year=1889&month=10&day=10&source=&collection=

Those plans give You the right feel for the shape of the Admirals, they weren't as box-like as they are mostly depicted.

Looking forward to whatever You're doing!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:15 pm 

I have a large collection of digital photographs of the admirals, collected over the recent years. Just send me a pm so we can fix some transfer.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:14 am 

Christian Reber wrote:
I have a large collection of digital photographs of the admirals, collected over the recent years. Just send me a pm so we can fix some transfer.

At the moment it says I am too new and haven't posted enough to be able to use PM. I'll try posting more I guess? Or you can contact the email address a few posts up - it's basically my spam dump email address but I will check it.

Thanks again for your help!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:24 am 

Christian, I just saw your email. Disregard the previous message. These pictures are great, thanks for your help!