The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:39 pm 

After a hiatus of 20 yrs I decided it was time to build the models that have been collecting dust in my closet for all these yrs. First my disclaimer: when I put down the glue a couple decades ago I had never heard of PE parts or a lot of the other advanced modeling techniques available today. I’m still a rattle-can & hand painting kinda guy who breaks out in a cold sweat when someone mentions airbrushing. With that said, first up is a Heller 1/200 model of the French stern trawler “Roc Amadour”. This vessel was original built in 1973 in France. She also sailed under various names such as: Boðasteinur, Patricia IX, and Roc Amadour TG 340. She underwent an extensive rebuilt in Norway yrs later but sadly she now sits in a breakers yard in Denmark awaiting the cutting torch.
I added detail such as PE railings and ladders, ‘clear view screens’ on several bridge windows, whip antennae & searchlight on the fly bridge, lifting eyes on fwd cargo hatches, a detailed RHIB and a detailed davit for this boat, trawl net and buoys, otter door chains and rigging, stored deck gear aft and hull zincs on rudder and hull. I used stretched sprue for most of the standing rigging. However I substituted thread for the 2 deck winch cables because in reality these cables are normally heavily laden with grease and do not appear smooth like standing rigging.
Feedback would be appreciated. Tks guys & gals!

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:24 pm 

Welcome to the dark side.
Nice, neat & tidy build.
Regards
Richard :thumbs_up_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:31 pm 

Feedback inbound......
Looking at the ship you have built after a 20 year break I would give you a grade of B.
She looks good as a model, construction seems fine, especially for trying new techniquies.
If your goal is to improve upon this build, the things I see are in the "realism" of the build.
There are a few things that look to thick ( the DF loops), or the fishing nets in how they are laid out on the deck with military precision, maybe some randomness in how they lay so each strand in the net is not a straight line. The paintwork is nice for rattle cans and brush, adding a subtle wash to break up the "perfect" color and help detail stand out would help.

Welcome back to modeling and thanks for posting the pictures!

P.s. You will enjoy the new kits and aftermarket the past 20 years has brought....... :big_grin:

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:38 am 

Richard & Dan
I appreciate the encouragement offered and ur obs on how to improve my ‘craft’. It’s been a very long time and I’m trying a few small steps to get back into the swing. The addition of PE detailing is probably the biggest change/challenge for me at the moment but I will definitely work on the other suggestions as well.
Tks guys.

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:37 am 

Very nice effort, Joe! Well built and well displayed. I'd be proud to have her on my shelf.

Welcome to the fourm, and to the dark art of ship modeling. From the looks of that build, you are already hooked! I'll look foward to seeing your future efforts.

Bob

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:38 pm 

Tks Bob. I’m currently ‘in dry dock’ working on Revell’s “Da Noli”. Seems like I’m spending an inordinate amount of time on my hands and knees trying to recover minute parts from the floor under my worktable. Other than that she seems to be coming along nicely….I think.

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:43 pm 

Joe, sounds like a Dragon kit. Spending more time on your hands and knees trying to save microscopic parts from the carpet monster than actually putting plastic together. Remember, the main think is to have FUN. The only person you have to please is yourself. If you had fun building the kit and if you are satisfied with the results of your work, then nobody else's opinion matters.

Bob

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:50 am 

Bob
Even the carpet searching is fun - especially when I actually find the search object! And after almost 30 yrs in the CG, many of those spent in cutters, I don't get uptight if something isn't exactly like 'the real world'. If it 'looks accurate' that's good enough. Most folks don't really know the difference anyhow.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:30 am 

very nice :thumbs_up_1:

Report this post