The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:19 pm 

I think I'm finally ready to call it finished :cool_1:

Here's some pics for your scrutiny and viewing enjoyment, with my very scenic backyard as a backdrop :tongue: :

Build time was about 6-months of weekends... I didn't count the hours (and don't want to know either :big_grin: ). The paint job is all rattle-can and by hand with off-the-shelf colors and artist oils. I got the Trumpeter upgrade kit w/new 5" gun barrels and stairs, drilled out the portholes, added a window on the front of the bridge but otherwise it's an "out of the box" build.

All and all it was a GREAT kit; it's hard to not end up with something spectacular if you can at least manage a clean build. My weak point is painting... I need some practice with weathering and the deck didn't turn out quite as good as I wanted to. I was also looking to go more "pretty" than accurate, so I didn't paint the turret tops red because I think they look better all-grey, and didn't really obsess on having everything exactly as the Arizona was on 12/6/41.

I spent hours puttying and re-scribing the plank lines with an exact-o knife that had a broken tip to hide the deck seams, then used various shades of brown oils to make it look like wood. It looked great wet, but dried too yellow. Oh well... now I know why people pay another 100 bucks for a wood deck! It still looks OK, I guess.

The PE was another hassle... they were just too soft, and required a delicate hand to get them on and keep them straight. About half-way through I spray-painted the PE while it was still on the sprue and found they were A LOT easier to deal with pre-painted (especially the stairways).

I did the rigging with the thinnest metal wiring I could find at the hobby shop, as well as black and brown thread from the wife's sewing stuff. I painted the metal wiring black but probably shouldn't have as it makes them a bit too thick.

I'm now chomping at the bit for Trumpeter's new 1/200 Bismarck and hope the lessons learned here will help me make a nautical magnum opus later in the year!

Feel free to give me any constructive criticism, as I really do want to get better! :thumbs_up_1:

Current Project: 1/200 Bismarck

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:00 pm 

Dude,she's gorgeous. :thumbs_up_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:53 pm 

Thanks... I guess that's the problem with spending so much time on a project like this... I look at it and instantly see every flaw and error there is. It was too much work to just sit back and enjoy looking at! :faint:

I'm still gonna aim higher next time though!

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:34 pm 

It's absolutely beautiful. Well done. :thumbs_up_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:58 am 

I know what you mean about seeing every percieved flaw and fault in your work after investing all that time and effort. When I look at my own work, even long after a project is completed, I tend to see the things I should have done better, or differently. That having been said, I think your work on your Arizona is simply first rate and you should be very proud of your accomplishment. I'd be proud to have her sitting on my shelf! Great job in my opinion.

Bob

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:36 pm 

Which car did you have to park outside to be able to display it in the garage? :lol_3:

I would have no idea where I could display something that size in my house ... without a cat crew "manning" the ship. :cry_3:

Good work.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:51 pm 

Very impressive build.
Regards
Richard :thumbs_up_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:06 pm 

Great Job, well done all around, and I am especially impressed with the fact that you achieved this look usig only rattle cans for paint, brave indeed!

Since you are looking for any tips to improve, I will offer one that I noticed, that being the rigging;

I will say that rigging is by far my least favorite part of any build, I really do not like it! But, I have recently found some materials that have made my rigging life incredibly easier and not so dreaded. For 1/200, I use fly fishing "Leader" that I purchased at dicks. this stuff is great, and was a breexe to use, and looks very accurate as to it's size. As you pointed out, the wire looks too thick when painted, and I think the same goes for thread. Here is my recently finished 1/200 Yamato which is rigged exclusively with the fishing Leader: http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery ... index.html More accurate rigging will really kick the next beauty up another notch.

Give that stuff a try, you will not be disappointed in 1/200. For 1/350 try caenis thread, similar stuff, just way thinner.

Just a suggestion, as you asked for ti, but again, very nice job! :thumbs_up_1:

http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery ... index.html

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:53 pm 

sgtryan13 wrote:
Great Job, well done all around, and I am especially impressed with the fact that you achieved this look usig only rattle cans for paint, brave indeed!

Since you are looking for any tips to improve, I will offer one that I noticed, that being the rigging;

I will say that rigging is by far my least favorite part of any build, I really do not like it! But, I have recently found some materials that have made my rigging life incredibly easier and not so dreaded. For 1/200, I use fly fishing "Leader" that I purchased at dicks. this stuff is great, and was a breexe to use, and looks very accurate as to it's size. As you pointed out, the wire looks too thick when painted, and I think the same goes for thread. Here is my recently finished 1/200 Yamato which is rigged exclusively with the fishing Leader: http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery ... index.html More accurate rigging will really kick the next beauty up another notch.

Give that stuff a try, you will not be disappointed in 1/200. For 1/350 try caenis thread, similar stuff, just way thinner.

Just a suggestion, as you asked for ti, but again, very nice job! :thumbs_up_1:

Thanks for the advice! I'll have to check into that... I'm not sure I want to redo the signal flag rigging but it would be an easy job to swap out the rest with fishing leader.

Thanks everyone for the comments!

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:45 pm 

:thumbs_up_1: Very nice build, you have done a great job on this kit, Im building this kit to, Its been a great kit to build so far, but you have done a GREAT JOB on a really COOL kit..CONGRAT'S...Craig
You have to search this forum but I have posted some pics of my build..

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:39 pm 

very well done!

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:23 pm 

Absolutely fantastic build. You did a great job building and painting. It's always nice to see another wonderful Arizona build.

Neil

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:37 pm 

Nice clean looking build. Well done!

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:24 pm 
very wel done
i will start next year with my Arizona sc 1/200

greetings from harry in holland

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:45 am 

HI Channell

how I missed a mounting so "big" :huh: and especially ,also well done :thumbs_up_1:
congrats for your Arizona
Nicolas

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:45 pm 

At least I've finished 1 build on the forum! :thanks:

I totally bummed out a bunch 12 year olds a couple months ago by sweeping my local hobby shop's model contest with it too. :heh:

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:23 am 

:thumbs_up_1:

Very nice build

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:29 pm 

Channell wrote:
I totally bummed out a bunch 12 year olds a couple months ago by sweeping my local hobby shop's model contest with it too. :heh:

Hahaha! And the S*** eating grin on your face makes it even funnier! That's like me playing coll of duty on line at night, and finding it hilarious when I hear some little kids whining that I keep shooting them in the face! It's a good thing I never got arouind to breeding any of my own spawn!

http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery ... index.html

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:39 pm 

sgtryan13 wrote:
Channell wrote:

Hahaha! And the S*** eating grin on your face makes it even funnier! That's like me playing coll of duty on line at night, and finding it hilarious when I hear some little kids whining that I keep shooting them in the face! It's a good thing I never got arouind to breeding any of my own spawn!

Ryan, That reminds me of the ad on TV some time ago of the kids playing a game like call of duty online and complaining about getting killed and wondering who was beating them, then it goes to a bunch of Marines over seas playing. :heh: :heh:

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:28 pm 

Beautiful ship. I need this one in my stash. Hey Ryan, look for me on the battlefield. Analog_Kid68(PS3) :thumbs_up_1:

http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery/users/James-Guard/user-index.html

Report this post