The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:07 pm 

Back-tracking in the build sequence chronology slightly....

-----------------------------------------------------

After I had ground away all the solid resin on the spar deck--including the solid fwd and aft decks ( as they should have been planked not flat )

I needed to replace the decks. However as the bulwarks were the correct height in relation to the rest of the ship, I could not simply 'plonk' evergreen styrene on top of the ledges remaining .... and I did not feel confident in my abilities to lower the existing deck ledge height without damaging or even scarring / breaking entirely the delicate bulwarks...

Attachment:
ds 098.jpg
ds 098.jpg [ 326.63 KiB | Viewed 2291 times ]

Attachment:
ds 099.jpg
ds 099.jpg [ 329.33 KiB | Viewed 2291 times ]

So I concocted a- I think- acceptable compromise. :wave_1:

I cut some new decking of Evergreen planked styrene sheet and marked a line inboard of the landing surfaces of my somewhat freestyle cut ledges

Attachment:
ds 081.jpg
ds 081.jpg [ 187.87 KiB | Viewed 2291 times ]

The paring with a blade was tortuous affair--as the styrene often failed at the planking grooves

so I had a practice at paring away to a wafer thinness before I cut a deck for real. ( successfully!)

Attachment:
ds 088.jpg
ds 088.jpg [ 271.78 KiB | Viewed 2291 times ]

Even this I managed to do twice though my own lack of observation... :doh_1: :Oops_1:

The upper bridge platforms were planked across the vessel rather than the usual fore-and-aft orientation

however these deck levels were still planked fore/aft...

My folly is pictured below :cool_2:

Attachment:
ds 091.jpg
ds 091.jpg [ 237.48 KiB | Viewed 2291 times ]

At least hereafter I was practised (!! ) and in a much shorter time than before ..
I was able to make two more decks with the planking running correctly.

When I added the decks and temporarily placed a 1/700 PE figure I reckoned that the deck should still be just under one millimetre lower...
( the resin deck was too high in the first place I think )

I decided to pare the deck ledge away --but at an angle inwards- very carefully indeed with tight lips and bated breath (!!) and successfully managed not to damage the bulwarks ( not noticeably so..-after a small repair! :big_grin: )

I then used some 1500 grit emery paper to add a chamfer to the underside of the already wafer-thin deck-edge to hopefully match the chamfered edge of the ledge...

It looks like it worked!

Attachment:
majestic progress 16 018.jpg
majestic progress 16 018.jpg [ 176.42 KiB | Viewed 2291 times ]

...whilst awaiting the drying of varnish and paint - I made and cut the walkways for the boat-decks; these were made of paper, painted and once dry pressed between many heavy books for two weeks.

I also added the white decal strip to the funnel-cowl housing and generator rooms etc

Attachment:
majestic progress 16 023.jpg
majestic progress 16 023.jpg [ 322.6 KiB | Viewed 2291 times ]

I plan on mounting the ship at sea shortly--which will make the handling of the now delicate surfaces much easier!

...more soon!

Jim B

Attachments:
ds 093.jpg
ds 093.jpg [ 159.57 KiB | Viewed 2291 times ]

IPMS UK SIG (special interest group) www.finewaterline.com
Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:07 am 

Well done, Jim! :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:

Bob Pink. :wave_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:08 pm 

hello all!

there is tangible--if slow progress...

I mounted the ship so as to make it easier to hold and less susceptible to damage

Having detected a minute bit of warping fore and aft-- I used my usual methodology

(described in step-by-step in detail here )

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=37223&p=241196#p241196

and mounted the ship to a stainless steel plate to inhibit future movement--
there no point worrying about the fine details if the hull sheerline changes !!! :Mad_6:

Attachment:
Img_3910.jpg
Img_3910.jpg [ 187.49 KiB | Viewed 2165 times ]

I made the water also in the my usual way using artists watercolour paper over cocktail sticks and then soaked in CA glue to make it rigid and impervious to moisture

Attachment:
Img_3911.jpg
Img_3911.jpg [ 108.82 KiB | Viewed 2165 times ]

I placed the main structures( funnel base and generator room) onto the spar deck base and added the missing small hatches and skylights

( A B C D )

Attachment:
Img_3919.jpg
Img_3919.jpg [ 202.85 KiB | Viewed 2165 times ]

a while back I bought of e-bay a kit of HMS Mars (for the PE ) from a previously unknown-to-me manufacturer ( SS Models - China )

Attachment:
Img_3922.jpg
Img_3922.jpg [ 109.59 KiB | Viewed 2165 times ]

The PE whilst simple - appears to be partially usable--in particular the flying bridge decks and the pilot houses--the remainder I shall discard or scratchbuild

The hull and parts are a fairly obvious re-cast of the Combrig kit-with some parts assembled for the mould

Attachment:
Img_3923.jpg
Img_3923.jpg [ 107.09 KiB | Viewed 2165 times ]

- interestingly everything is about 5% smaller ( pointing to a cast of a kit = submaster etc.... )

Now comes the more interesting part to me, small details...

I installed the supporting posts under the boat decks, and have made a start on the very complex boast skid framework.

I am guided here partially by the drawings in the plans as well as some photos of the excellent large scale( 1:96 ) model by maestro Brian King

herewith some images of the staus quo

Attachments:
Img_3915.jpg
Img_3915.jpg [ 178.5 KiB | Viewed 2165 times ]
Img_3920.jpg
Img_3920.jpg [ 110.88 KiB | Viewed 2165 times ]

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:09 am 

... really busy at midship :thumbs_up_1: , I like how you kept the sharp demarcation between the different colors

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:11 pm 

Ciao Dino! :wave_1:

The well -deck boatskids were both more time consuming and fiddly than I thought

...the more I looked--the more there was to add !

here is about where I stopped--

Attachment:
Img_3944.jpg
Img_3944.jpg [ 186.87 KiB | Viewed 2059 times ]

on the real ship these skids were I section beams-

-but failing some custom double-sided photoetch....

.... styrene strip would suffice.

By the time it is all covered in boats the latticework of the boat supports will only be viable in vignetted glimpses

fortunately it also seems that the imperfections of my styrene construct will be --phew!-- obscured by the boats... :cool_2:

Attachment:
Img_3946.jpg
Img_3946.jpg [ 132.83 KiB | Viewed 2059 times ]

as a bit of light relief I added the 4 x overside discharge pipes and the midships gash chute

Attachment:
Img_3949.jpg
Img_3949.jpg [ 92.4 KiB | Viewed 2059 times ]

these were only slightly complicated by being curved at the lower edges to comply with tumblehome of the hull and a kink at weather deck level

Attachment:
Img_3951.jpg
Img_3951.jpg [ 139.45 KiB | Viewed 2059 times ]

I added the slightly raised boat deck walkways

herewith an image of the real thing-

Attachment:
hmsmagnificent10[1].jpg
hmsmagnificent10[1].jpg [ 184.63 KiB | Viewed 2059 times ]

previously made of paper and pressed flat under heavy books for 2 weeks :big_grin:

Attachment:
Img_3958.jpg
Img_3958.jpg [ 198.17 KiB | Viewed 2059 times ]

I started to REALLY look at the vents-- most of the kit items are usable--but some are distinctly undersized.

to remedy this I reshaped the back of some plastic vents from a spare sprue ( Seals models IJN cruiser )

and the hollowed them out.-( they were quite crude really)

Attachment:
Img_3956.jpg
Img_3956.jpg [ 125.2 KiB | Viewed 2059 times ]

these I think are dimensionally just about right for the lower fwd superstructure

The first 3 units of the Majestic class were on the face of it near identical...
and yet they differed so very much in the minutia; surprisingly as each ship had slightly differing paint schemes...

I have now settled that I am building--for better or worse-- HMS Magnificent - as in 1895/6 :big_grin:
======================================================================

HMS Magnificent for example was the only member of the class as far as I can ascertain that had cut-outs in the fwd superstructure wall for the vents

( which seems to assist me in identifying some mis-captioned photos !!

Attachment:
Img_3963.jpg
Img_3963.jpg [ 96.73 KiB | Viewed 2059 times ]

Attachment:
Img_3962.jpg
Img_3962.jpg [ 112.85 KiB | Viewed 2059 times ]

as seen here...

Attachment:
hms magnificent.jpg
hms magnificent.jpg [ 146.13 KiB | Viewed 2059 times ]

The aftt superstructure was also getting some attention...

having hollowed out all the solid cast well deck-- the aft vent shafts bases of course would now be visible

of course the kits vents were far too short-( as they were intended to sit on the solid block)

-so I installed some appropriate size styrene rod

Attachment:
Img_3971.jpg
Img_3971.jpg [ 127.66 KiB | Viewed 2059 times ]
#

endless staring at old photos always produces more stuff to do....

Attachment:
Img_3967.jpg
Img_3967.jpg [ 144.96 KiB | Viewed 2059 times ]

more progress soon!

JIM B :wave_1:

Attachment:
Img_3956.jpg
Img_3956.jpg [ 125.2 KiB | Viewed 2059 times ]

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:26 pm 

and now I noticed--on the NMM plan that I need to add some big winches as well as more skylights...

( under the boat skid beams ..)

ho hum...

JB

Attachment:
more work....jpg
more work....jpg [ 307.16 KiB | Viewed 2060 times ]

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:35 pm 

Sharp work, Jim. Really love your attention to detail.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:35 pm 

Location: About 50 miles away from the Gulf of Mexico ( traveling W is you do so :)
Another masterpiece in the works! :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:

Jose :wave_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:01 am 

Fantastic work!!! :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:

Many thanks for the detailed build log; very educational as always!

Cheers,

Marijn

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:46 pm 

Very niced looking model from the period when Britannia really ruled the waves...
Most elegant paintwork superbly executed.
Stunningly elaborate boat deck latticework.
A true joy to behold!

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:51 pm 

Thank you for your kind words gentlemen.!
Progress has been solid -- if not swift--whilst getting bogged down in the minutia... ( as ever! )

after 'discovering' the winches and the skylight on the plan--they were duly made of styrene , drilled and painted.

The winches were cobbled together of small bits of brass and resin scraps--both were added with some degree of difficulty (!)
to the well-deck through the delicate lattice-work of the boats support structure

Attachment:
winches and hatches.jpg
winches and hatches.jpg [ 151.17 KiB | Viewed 1827 times ]

The boat decks had the hatches added-made of decal strip --so as to keep a low profile once painted --as I believe the hatches were actually inset near flush on the real ship
( source- Brian Kings model )

Attachment:
skylight and hatches boat deck.jpg
skylight and hatches boat deck.jpg [ 176.33 KiB | Viewed 1827 times ]

an omission that had been bothering me for a while-- but I thought it would be ok..( ha! )
were the distinctive boarding steps fwd, midships and aft-

....this uneasy feeling became all the more glaring an omission (! ) after I studied Bill Livingstone's steps on his 1893 HMS Hood model ...

viewtopic.php?f=59&t=66011&hilit=hood+bill&start=0#p380804

Of course these would have been easier to install BEFORE I installed the model in its sea... ( plan ahead ! ) :Mad_6: :doh_1:

Hey ho...--I practised on the under-scale casting from the Chinese kit ( which oddly had some PE ladders glued onto the master--
which whilst fairly correctly located -- did not look at all convincing

Attachment:
step making practice.jpg
step making practice.jpg [ 88.86 KiB | Viewed 1827 times ]

I used stretched black sprue for the steps and matt varnish as the adhesive as it allowed me a lot of wriggle time to try and square up the steps... ( mostly successful )

Attachment:
stepmaking varnish.jpg
stepmaking varnish.jpg [ 134.87 KiB | Viewed 1827 times ]

the end result is not as razor sharp as I would like--but in the melee of boat booms, hatches and rigging they ought just about to pass muster--apart from when subjected to huge enlargement on the PC screen!

--though making six sets was enough to try my patience

The steps on the real ship are not all the same size either--varying in width considerably

( not just my sloppiness! )

Attachment:
steps finished.jpg
steps finished.jpg [ 115.07 KiB | Viewed 1827 times ]

Extended study of photos of the ship showed there to be 'texture' on the upper edges of the superstructure splintershields/bulwarks which when viewed really closely revealed itself to be a small beading on the fwd and aft splintershields

I added this using thin copper wire ( soft ) in situ, overlength and snipped with sharp scissors --when painted it gave a pleasing look akin to the real ship

Attachment:
beading around suoerstructure .jpg
beading around suoerstructure .jpg [ 126.69 KiB | Viewed 1827 times ]

for some light relief (!) I made the aft flying deck of multiple pieces of brass and glue ( which will be mounted on the masts a few stages further down the build )

The resin supplied kit item was the right size in planview--but had solid resin ' railing' and was of course far too thick in every dimension

Attachment:
aft flying bridge deck.jpg
aft flying bridge deck.jpg [ 102.23 KiB | Viewed 1827 times ]

Back to more current progress--these ships had a gargantuan sternwalk at the stern

I made the platform floor using brass PE fret scrap and cut the two halves,joined in the centre with a glued brass fillet

Attachment:
sternwalk small..jpg
sternwalk small..jpg [ 92.22 KiB | Viewed 1823 times ]

The giant slot in the hull ( intended for the insertion of the the rather thick resin sternwalk deck ) was too large for my thin brass deck.
after I attached the stern walk the gap was filled by running a black decal strip over the gap and blended in with paint

Under the sternwalk were 2 x hawsepipes ( sealed with lids ) and a horizontally stowed anchor each side.

Attachment:
under the sternwalk.jpg
under the sternwalk.jpg [ 332.41 KiB | Viewed 1827 times ]

The hawse pipe-lids were filed up our of brass with some small brass detail ( old gunsights)
I used some very old Toms anchors which before painting had some texture added
( not seen yet in photo )

Attachment:
under the stern walk small.jpg
under the stern walk small.jpg [ 75.13 KiB | Viewed 1827 times ]

The roof of the stern walk was made of paper--the distinctive hanging pelmet was formed in situ using some flame softened thin brass strip (old 1/350 PE rigging cable :cool_2: !! )

Attachment:
sternwalk roof making 1.jpg
sternwalk roof making 1.jpg [ 147.99 KiB | Viewed 1827 times ]

Attachment:
sternwalk roof making 2.jpg
sternwalk roof making 2.jpg [ 93.4 KiB | Viewed 1827 times ]

where it rejoined the hull I left a small gap ( my paper cutting was not that good ! ) which was infilled with white glue as in this job it is self levelling

Attachment:
sternwalk roof paper.jpg
sternwalk roof paper.jpg [ 105.58 KiB | Viewed 1827 times ]

Once painted it looked pretty sharp-- I will add a bit of texture with watercolour should have it looking much like the real thing in the photo

Attachment:
sternwalk roof  firts coat.jpg
sternwalk roof firts coat.jpg [ 96.4 KiB | Viewed 1827 times ]

The very distinctive railing ...

Attachment:
sternwalk.jpg
sternwalk.jpg [ 233.54 KiB | Viewed 1827 times ]

I had one small piece of left over WEM Iron Duke PE which contains a piece of very fine most suitable railing..

Attachment:
sternwalk railing.jpg
sternwalk railing.jpg [ 106.54 KiB | Viewed 1827 times ]

alas it is too short--fortunately after contacting Richard Harden ( Toms modelworks and the 'new' White Ensign Models ) 2 x new WEM Iron Duke frets are en-route from the USA to the UK...
( better to have tow of the same matching 'vintage' etch than mix my 10 plus year old with new--maybe minute differentials so would not be a perfect not a match when joining ...

with two new railing sections I can splice them together to give the required length-- phew!

the torpedo net shelf on this vessel is not continuous..- it has gaps within to allow the net booms to stow... this took some working out as both of the plans I have are far from helpful or conclusive-- the spacing of the booms and a few oblique photos gave me some of the answers

the shelves themselves are not solid--but rather a lattice type construction ( water drain , strength etc )

I used some textured narrow strips of PE ( old l'Arsenal Liberty ship 1/350 PE ) cut up and installed - guided by the boom angles/ positions and photos
Attachment:
torpedo net shelf..jpg
torpedo net shelf..jpg [ 93.04 KiB | Viewed 1827 times ]

Attachment:
torpedo net shelf.jpg
torpedo net shelf.jpg [ 183.16 KiB | Viewed 1827 times ]

Attachment:
Torpedo net and boat booms .jpg
Torpedo net and boat booms .jpg [ 193.77 KiB | Viewed 1827 times ]

The net booms were made of drawn brass wire dipped in a small puddle of white glue when half set this was flattened to give the impression of the re-enforced mounting plates -- the stand-offs for the booms were small slivers of styrene

The model is at last starting to come together...

Next gargantuan ( seemingly never ending task ) will be the making of the myriad of small boats and launches, mounting these on their cradles

before the real ' fun' :scratch: :eyes_spinning: (!??!! ) begins

making and installing all the bridge and pilot house decks foer and aft on their spindly supporting legs

more soon

Jim Baumann

Attachments:
sternwalk.jpg
sternwalk.jpg [ 92.22 KiB | Viewed 1827 times ]

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:02 pm 

hello all again!

more tangible progress- ........albeit still only small bites....

The turrets are pretty good in outline--however theywere missing the 'gun barrel housing aperture flare'

so as gain greater elevation the main turrets had an enlarged opening at the top edge line of the turret

Attachment:
2dujbsl.jpg
2dujbsl.jpg [ 132.38 KiB | Viewed 1717 times ]

Attachment:
Img_3643.jpg
Img_3643.jpg [ 188.89 KiB | Viewed 1717 times ]

Attachment:
Img_3640.jpg
Img_3640.jpg [ 175 KiB | Viewed 1717 times ]

I made this with a small wire former which was then backfilled with white glue to create the small 'bulge' on top of the turret

an odd thing I noticed was that within months it seems certain quite major features of the ship seemed to either change location--or the paintwork was altered-- even when the ship carried the same colour scheme layout--

case in point-the shoring strake ( a belt of I presum timber steel to prevent the wooden shoring posts--when vessel was drydocked to locate sideways and -from slipping upwards

in one photo this strake is above the white waterline--in another the strake is below...?!--

so what moved--the paint or the strake? :scratch:

Attachment:
Img_3661.jpg
Img_3661.jpg [ 295.96 KiB | Viewed 1717 times ]

Attachment:
magnificent 3 qtr.jpg
magnificent 3 qtr.jpg [ 499.58 KiB | Viewed 1717 times ]

I made a simulation on the model using small brass strips-below the white line--these will only really become apparent when I finished the sea as the edges of the strake will create a small amount of spray as the vessel moves through the water

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:23 pm 

next I turned my attention to getting the bridge end underway

I used some of the PE set that came with the Chinese version of the Kombrig kit for the bridge house windows

I started by installing some of the supporting structure under the bridge deck --which was securely sitting halfway up the mast on a tiny blob of blue tack :cool_2:

Attachment:
Img_3669.jpg
Img_3669.jpg [ 129.58 KiB | Viewed 1715 times ]
Attachment:
Img_3680.jpg
Img_3680.jpg [ 144.22 KiB | Viewed 1715 times ]
Attachment:
Img_3683.jpg
Img_3683.jpg [ 148.02 KiB | Viewed 1715 times ]
Attachment:
Img_3688.jpg
Img_3688.jpg [ 125.79 KiB | Viewed 1715 times ]

small companionways were fiddled in place--as was some railing

the distinctive curved outer bridge wing supports were added from bent brass strip --as was the small cruciform between the outer uprights

Attachment:
Img_3704.jpg
Img_3704.jpg [ 102.37 KiB | Viewed 1715 times ]
Attachment:
Img_3705.jpg
Img_3705.jpg [ 117.99 KiB | Viewed 1715 times ]
Attachment:
Img_3716.jpg
Img_3716.jpg [ 156.84 KiB | Viewed 1715 times ]

the one piece handrails (no vertical intermediate supports) for the 2 x stairs on the fwd face

Attachment:
Img_3720.jpg
Img_3720.jpg [ 170.9 KiB | Viewed 1715 times ]

next in the firing line were some of the huge boat complement the ship carried...

the launches first had 'timber ' rubbing strakes added of stretched sprue

Attachment:
Img_3735.jpg
Img_3735.jpg [ 129.6 KiB | Viewed 1715 times ]

The pulling boats and whalers had the upper planks that were left varnished- represented by using a thin strip of decal striping

Attachment:
Img_3739.jpg
Img_3739.jpg [ 144.01 KiB | Viewed 1712 times ]

Attachment:
Img_3743.jpg
Img_3743.jpg [ 223.8 KiB | Viewed 1715 times ]

it looks sharper than I could manage to paint anyway!

I added a bit of contrast and depth to the benches by dragging a pencil along the edges of the thwarts

Once the oars are in place it does give the boats a bit more visual depth

The launches of the RN in those decorative days had the distinctive polished brass funnels with flared tops

I used some brass micro tubing and flared the ends with the use of a pushpin in a pin-chuck and revolved at ever decreasing angles to obtain a subtle flare

Attachment:
Img_3756.jpg
Img_3756.jpg [ 208.7 KiB | Viewed 1711 times ]

I made the saloon windows with tiny chips of black decal stripe and used a pushpin to make the portlights

once installed it looked OK to my eyes-

alas these big enlargements always make small boats look too crude...

in 1/1 scale viewing it all looks pretty good !

Attachment:
Img_3774.jpg
Img_3774.jpg [ 232.54 KiB | Viewed 1712 times ]

still have seven more whalers to do... (!!)

arghh!

Jim Baumann

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:40 pm 

Truly a remarkable, informative build, Jim! :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: You are a heckuva teacher! :cool_2:

Bob Pink. :wave_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:14 am 

Amazing work Jim! :worship_1:
That bridge looks fantastic, as do the boats.

Good to see you make good progress, and thanks for the detailed SBS. Always very educational!

Cheers,

Marijn

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:10 pm 

Wowza!

Outstanding skills and uncompromising dedication to the best quality achievable - this is truly remarkable and a very rich source for helpful hints and tips.

Thanks for sharing your work from

Frank

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:08 pm 

Jim,

I love you work and have learned much from you as I have ventured back into building after years in exile. Is the circular metal walkway that is on the decking around the turrets some type of flash protector for the decking? Visible in your photo from the Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:11 pm Post. I am getting ready to Start Iowa BB$ and I have photos of her both with and without them.

Thanks

Randy

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 3:53 pm 

apologies for delayed response....

-I believe the circular metal plating is anti-flash on the wooden decks...

meanwhile... progress is slow--as real life in 1:1 scale keeps getting in the way-- ( Business. family, classic cars--and just getting tired in the evening as one gets older!!! )

nevertheless...

there has been some progress
==========================

The fwd bridge platform has the bridge extensions added as rail only--and the 'floor' spanned from underneath with CA glue ( hard and stiff )

Attachment:
Img_4119.jpg
Img_4119.jpg [ 108.18 KiB | Viewed 1528 times ]

Attachment:
Img_4158.jpg
Img_4158.jpg [ 222.52 KiB | Viewed 1528 times ]

The fwd bride-deck was furnished with helmsman at the wheel, binnacle, crew , voice pipes etc etc

alas I neglected to photograph it all BEFORE the wheelhouse roof/ deck went on .. and now it is virtually invisible without a ( very small! ) endoscope....(!!)

Attachment:
Img_4085.jpg
Img_4085.jpg [ 165.36 KiB | Viewed 1528 times ]

Attachment:
Img_4090.jpg
Img_4090.jpg [ 150.39 KiB | Viewed 1528 times ]

but it does man that the wheelhouse does not look empty....

Attachment:
Img_40861.jpg
Img_40861.jpg [ 117.36 KiB | Viewed 1528 times ]

hmnnn!

meanwhile I made a start on the aft lower flying bridge-- carefully applying rails( cut and shut symmetrically)

so as to ensure I always had stanchions on the corners.

Attachment:
Img_4110.jpg
Img_4110.jpg [ 136.29 KiB | Viewed 1528 times ]

then I painted and thereafter applied the 'canvas' dodgers

Attachment:
Img_4125.jpg
Img_4125.jpg [ 115.36 KiB | Viewed 1528 times ]

with the white glue drying clear a pleasing effect is obtained when paint is applied on the outside of the glue dodgers--the inner rails have a bit of contrast.

Attachment:
Img_4150a.jpg
Img_4150a.jpg [ 56.74 KiB | Viewed 1528 times ]

meanwhile I had prepared some of the supports for the aft bridge deck-- the plate metal upright with the oval hole - as on real ship below

Attachment:
walk.jpg
walk.jpg [ 271.08 KiB | Viewed 1528 times ]

was gleaned from an older stainless-steel GMM IJN PE set

Attachment:
Img_4148.jpg
Img_4148.jpg [ 173.39 KiB | Viewed 1527 times ]

installed it looked ok....

Attachment:
Img_4121.jpg
Img_4121.jpg [ 147 KiB | Viewed 1528 times ]

Attachment:
Img_4150.jpg
Img_4150.jpg [ 109.66 KiB | Viewed 1528 times ]

after installation the remaining uprights ( cut from brass 1/350 longitudinal handrails) were installed- white glue at base and when upright at last CA at both ends applied with a (discarded) cat whisker--stiff but very soft springy...

the curved supports at the outer ends were made in a similar fashion

Attachment:
Img_4151.jpg
Img_4151.jpg [ 138.99 KiB | Viewed 1528 times ]

--with very much checking for symmetry and upright beforehand!

the ship is starting to look "shippier..."

more soon !

Jim Baumann

Attachments:
Img_4157.jpg
Img_4157.jpg [ 152.52 KiB | Viewed 1528 times ]

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 3:59 pm 

Very impressive, elegant bridges! Especially the supports of the bridge wings!

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:57 am 

JIM BAUMANN wrote:
meanwhile I had prepared some of the supports for the aft bridge deck-- the plate metal upright with the oval hole -

was gleaned from an older stainless-steel GMM IJN PE set

Brilliant work (as always). Very clever solution!

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

Report this post
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next