The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:25 pm 

I've been a member on this forum for a few years but only to look, but I decided to share my build of the USS Missouri. This is my second 1/350 scale model, I finished the USS New Jersey a few years ago, which I haven't posted on this site It was the first time I used PE, after I built the darn thing!

I started the hull last January but stopped for 9 months...life gets in the way of building. During the time away, I purchased Eduard PE, anchor chains, and metal barrels and going to get the 5in barrels as well. My goal, is to take the lessons I've learned on the New Jersey and apply it to the Missouri. I'm going to try to make it as accurate as I can...

I finished painting the hull in November. I started adding PE to the turrets. I've got two done...one more to go. I found removing the plastic barrels and replacing them with the metal barrels a bit of a challenge. I had a couple of barrels that didn't line up with the other barrels. So I had to move them in place...by hand.

I'll post more pictures up as I progress...my apologies for the low quality photo.

My question to you all, I don't have an airbrush unit, so I use spray cans. How do I do the camouflage on the ship without destroying the PE if I have to tape something?

Attachments:
File comment: Took a lot of work...but I like the result.
Hull.jpg
Hull.jpg [ 86.45 KiB | Viewed 5027 times ]
File comment: The barrels took a lot of time. They look alright.
Turrets.jpg
Turrets.jpg [ 96.9 KiB | Viewed 5027 times ]

Current Build
USS Oregon
USS Iowa (mothballed)

Planned builds
USS Wisconsin
USS New Jersey
USS Alaska
Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:41 am 

Well...after about a week and a half of working, I finally got the turrets done. They have been challenging. The metal barrels were pretty hard to work with. I had to rip the barrels out after the paint wouldn't stick so I had to repaint everything. Then working with the PE (only my second time) was difficult since the brass was a little difficult to work with and the paint wouldn't adhere and the paint blotted out some of the details. Overall, I'm happy with how the results, but never satisfied with it. Next I'll be working on the bow/forecastle portion of the boat.

I'll be working with a 1/350 anchor chain. Any suggestions on how to install it?

Attachments:
Pic1.jpg
Pic1.jpg [ 58.41 KiB | Viewed 4783 times ]
File comment: Not as accurate as it should be...but history is always open to interpretation.
Ship2.jpg
Ship2.jpg [ 62.82 KiB | Viewed 4783 times ]
File comment: I know the shaft probably should be the same color as the hull...but gold is a nice touch...right?
Ship3.jpg
Ship3.jpg [ 65.32 KiB | Viewed 4783 times ]
File comment: Last pic of the ship for now.
Ship4.jpg
Ship4.jpg [ 57.06 KiB | Viewed 4783 times ]

Current Build
USS Oregon
USS Iowa (mothballed)

Planned builds
USS Wisconsin
USS New Jersey
USS Alaska
Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:48 am 

I got one of these years ago from a club members stash, who had passed away. She did it in the same scheme and was as far as you are on the hull. I painted the superstructure and assemblies prior to installing and lots of checking positions of guns etc. It is a difficult scheme to paint. For the anchor chain, you will have to scrape off the existing molded in chain, drill some holes and replace with the new "real" chain. Metal barrels can be a pain, they should be cleaned up with laquer thinner to remove any oils that may remain from the machining process, same with PE. An airbrush is really the only way to go, as the aerosols put so much paint and not conducive to fine painting. They are however great for large surfaces like the hull below the water line etc.
Good luck, you are doing fine.

On the bench:

1/200 USS Enterprise, CV-6

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:45 pm 

Mgunns wrote:
I got one of these years ago from a club members stash, who had passed away. She did it in the same scheme and was as far as you are on the hull. I painted the superstructure and assemblies prior to installing and lots of checking positions of guns etc. It is a difficult scheme to paint. For the anchor chain, you will have to scrape off the existing molded in chain, drill some holes and replace with the new "real" chain. Metal barrels can be a pain, they should be cleaned up with laquer thinner to remove any oils that may remain from the machining process, same with PE. An airbrush is really the only way to go, as the aerosols put so much paint and not conducive to fine painting. They are however great for large surfaces like the hull below the water line etc.
Good luck, you are doing fine.

Thanks Mgunns for your suggestions. I don't have an airbrush unit, so spray cans and hand painting is what I do right now. I'll need to take up Air Brushing 101 before going that route.

The "real" chain seemed pretty easy. I drilled a couple of holes and used super glue under forecastle section and threaded the chains through the hole. I'll post a couple of pictures when I'm complete with the section.

Current Build
USS Oregon
USS Iowa (mothballed)

Planned builds
USS Wisconsin
USS New Jersey
USS Alaska

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:25 pm 

I didn't get a whole lot done, but managed to get some of the forecastle done, but still have a long ways to go.

I'm not sure what people do when putting the chain on, but after scraping the molded chain off, I decided to run the chains under the piece so I can minimize the cutting of the chain. I used super glue to secure the chain under the deck, and around the thing that the anchor wraps around (the name escapes me). I also painted the deck, but some detail work is still needed, which I'll do as the ship comes to near completion...which could be awhile!

Anyways, it's not much to look at but slowly making progress. It's only going to get slower since we are moving. It could be a couple weeks, but it could be sooner.

Any suggestions or tips would be great. I guess with the lack of chatter, I'm doing a good job! :cool_2:

Attachments:
File comment: Underside of the deck with the chain
IMG_3043.JPG
IMG_3043.JPG [ 92.16 KiB | Viewed 4467 times ]
File comment: Top side of the deck.
IMG_3042.JPG
IMG_3042.JPG [ 113.74 KiB | Viewed 4467 times ]
File comment: The ship in my version of a dry dock. Awaiting for the move.
IMG_3040.JPG
IMG_3040.JPG [ 103.17 KiB | Viewed 4467 times ]

Current Build
USS Oregon
USS Iowa (mothballed)

Planned builds
USS Wisconsin
USS New Jersey
USS Alaska
Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:28 pm 

Itchy,
I would advise purchasing an airbrush. You can cover up so much detail with the cans, especially the smaller scales. The great quality paint job you are doing now the quality will only increase with one. There is a learning curve with enamels vs acrylics, etc. but practice makes perfect. Harbor Freight has an airbrush/compressor combo(with moisture separator) for pretty cheap and great for starters. I started with a Badger and canned air. I use the HF one mostly now but also use a couple other brands for the job at hand..

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsea ... q=airbrush
Randy

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:13 pm 

Well I'm back. It's been more than a couple weeks, we moved to a new place and started doing some work around the new home we have and I've been Ubering which has cut into my building. Plus trips to places I've never been before. I actually got to see the USS Wisconsin!

I finally finished the forecastle/bow and moved on to the stern. I realized I could be a little more efficient if I worked on other parts of the model...but we'll see. I folded the catapults and to my amazement I think I did a pretty good job, but to my disappointment, one seemed to warped so I'll try to work with it the best I can. Still looks to go but next week I'll be in Camden to check out the New Jersey!

You won't see a lot of progress on the ship but it's getting there.

Attachments:
File comment: Bow section
IMG_3461.JPG
IMG_3461.JPG [ 109.55 KiB | Viewed 4185 times ]
image1.JPG
image1.JPG [ 78.62 KiB | Viewed 4185 times ]
File comment: Stern section...not to shabby!
IMG_3466.JPG
IMG_3466.JPG [ 72.99 KiB | Viewed 4185 times ]
File comment: They look okay
IMG_3467.JPG
IMG_3467.JPG [ 69.12 KiB | Viewed 4185 times ]

Current Build
USS Oregon
USS Iowa (mothballed)

Planned builds
USS Wisconsin
USS New Jersey
USS Alaska
Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:51 pm 

Well, this build has been going slow, but my patience will be reward right? Well, I need to speed things up now since my wife and I are expecting our first kid! :woo_hoo:

I've got six months to finish this battlewagon!

I finished the stern (minus the AA guns) and I'm quite happy with it. Though the paint job looks a little light I think it might be the light because it doesn't look to bad when the light is dimmed. I started working on the superstructure starting with the bridge and currently working on the mid portion of the ship, adding PE and painting as well.

More to come! Hopefully sooner than later!

Attachments:
Stern.JPG
Stern.JPG [ 108.8 KiB | Viewed 4004 times ]
Superrear.JPG
Superrear.JPG [ 82.87 KiB | Viewed 4004 times ]
Starboard1.JPG
Starboard1.JPG [ 91 KiB | Viewed 4004 times ]
Port1.JPG
Port1.JPG [ 85.73 KiB | Viewed 4004 times ]

Current Build
USS Oregon
USS Iowa (mothballed)

Planned builds
USS Wisconsin
USS New Jersey
USS Alaska
Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:46 pm 

I seek some assistance from all you great builders out there!

I'm trying to figure out what color the 5" guns on the port side is. It doesn't look like it's black. Is it deck blue or grey? Your assistance is much appreciated!

Thanks!

Attachments:
Port 5 Inch.jpg
Port 5 Inch.jpg [ 145.98 KiB | Viewed 3815 times ]

Current Build
USS Oregon
USS Iowa (mothballed)

Planned builds
USS Wisconsin
USS New Jersey
USS Alaska
Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:54 pm 
Model Monkey
Model Monkey

Most likely ocean gray 5-O. In the photo, the mounts' colors don't quite match the Navy's drawing of how the scheme was intended (attached below) but close.

The difference is a good example of why photos are so helpful.

Attachments:
Ms. 32 22D g109730.small.jpg
Ms. 32 22D g109730.small.jpg [ 168.19 KiB | Viewed 3753 times ]
Ms. 32 22D g109729.small.jpg
Ms. 32 22D g109729.small.jpg [ 219.27 KiB | Viewed 3753 times ]

-Steve L.

Complete catalog: - https://www.model-monkey.com/
Follow Model Monkey® on Facebook: - https://www.facebook.com/modelmonkeybookandhobby
Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:28 pm 

Thanks ModelMonkey. I wanted to double check because like you said, the drawings and pictures are a little different.

Tegunns, thanks for the suggestion of Harbor Freights. I'll have to check them out. Maybe I'll get one for the next project.

Can anyone give me some sort of feedback on my deck color? At first I thought it was fine, but the more I see the pictures I posted and seeing it with my own eyes, I'm not to sure if it's dark enough. I thought maybe I should put a thin coat of Model Master 20-B Weather Deck Blue, but I might end up with a semi glossy deck instead.

I know it's hand painted so it's not perfect, but I think of the different contrast as "weather beaten." :smallsmile:

Current Build
USS Oregon
USS Iowa (mothballed)

Planned builds
USS Wisconsin
USS New Jersey
USS Alaska

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:51 pm 

Here is an update...I've made some good progress on the superstructure of the Missouri, but still going slow. I spend about 30 minutes a night working on it...lately it's been adding PE, and then painting. I glued the lower bridge to the super structure and painted. It's not much to look at but it's coming along pretty good.

Now if I can only figure out why some of my preview pictures are showing upside down...

Attachments:
angle1.JPG
angle1.JPG [ 56.25 KiB | Viewed 3600 times ]
angle2.JPG
angle2.JPG [ 71.62 KiB | Viewed 3600 times ]

Current Build
USS Oregon
USS Iowa (mothballed)

Planned builds
USS Wisconsin
USS New Jersey
USS Alaska
Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:23 am 

Hi,

this decks colour really looks a little bit to light but that could be only the pictures issue... Try to use Mr Hobby Navy Blue. Looks great, if You want to refer try to watchdeck used in my Mighty Mo. It is wooden teak tone deck from Pontos painted and varnished.

Keep on going, it looks great! :thumbs_up_1:

Completed Models:
HMS Dreadnought 1/350
USS Missouri 1/200

Work in progress:
U-Boat U-552 1/48
USS Arizona 1/200

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:02 pm 

Do you remember changing the way you held your camera between the two photos? It could be that your phone's camera attaches the orientation metadata in a format that this board's legacy software cannot understand (but which is compatible with most people's browsers). As a result, it would show as upside down when viewing the preview image on the board, but right side up when viewed on its own via a separate browser window.

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:00 pm 

Voyteque wrote:
Hi,

this decks colour really looks a little bit to light but that could be only the pictures issue... Try to use Mr Hobby Navy Blue. Looks great, if You want to refer try to watchdeck used in my Mighty Mo. It is wooden teak tone deck from Pontos painted and varnished.

Keep on going, it looks great! :thumbs_up_1:

Thanks Voyteque.

After some thought for the last week and a half, I decided to stop progress and fix the deck color. I went out and bought a jar of Model Master Deck Blue and some thinner and matte lacquer to flatten the gloss. So far so good. I'll get some pictures and post it on the board, though I forgot to do a before and after.

Current Build
USS Oregon
USS Iowa (mothballed)

Planned builds
USS Wisconsin
USS New Jersey
USS Alaska

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:23 pm 

Small update, I finished repainting the deck, and my wife agreed that this is a better color. Repainting something twice isn't fun and is a waste of time, but it had to be done. Even though I haven't purchased an airbrush unit yet, the paint job turned out good.

Attachments:
front2.jpg
front2.jpg [ 103.11 KiB | Viewed 3333 times ]

Current Build
USS Oregon
USS Iowa (mothballed)

Planned builds
USS Wisconsin
USS New Jersey
USS Alaska
Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:58 am 

Now it looks much better! Your work was worth it! When it comes to colours women are a perfect address to reffer... :cool_2:

Honestly, You must get an airbrush. It is not only about making things to be done easier but the paint on the model just look much better...

Completed Models:
HMS Dreadnought 1/350
USS Missouri 1/200

Work in progress:
U-Boat U-552 1/48
USS Arizona 1/200

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:35 pm 

She's coming along nicely. Should bring her to an OMS Club meeting or Build Night. We always are looking for new folks to join us, and I could definitely use a few more ship folks around for my sanity.

Matt

1/350 USS Portland CA-33 1942
1/350 Trumpeter Texas with a twist

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:58 pm 

Well...I made some progress on the bridge portion of the ship. Painted, tape, a few choice words later and I finally finished it. No PE stuff was added yet. The challenging part of this camouflage scheme is the slight differences between what the Tamiya instructions have and what the photos from the internet has. Some parts I just had to make an educated guess based on the pictures provide in books and the internet. I found out the upper bridge (the oval shape) isn't all grey, but has some light grey/white on the side, I'll have to either address it later or leave it as is.

During this build, there are times I just feel burned out asking myself when this will get done. So much little details, it can drive a man crazy. I know though, each step that is complete brings me closer to completion. How this bridge turned out, I'll admit, it's got me saying this might be worth it!

Attachments:
File comment: Just a light grey color as the base.
Bridge.jpg
Bridge.jpg [ 49.67 KiB | Viewed 3085 times ]
File comment: Added camo
Bridge2.jpg
Bridge2.jpg [ 57.86 KiB | Viewed 3085 times ]
Bridge3.jpg
Bridge3.jpg [ 48.83 KiB | Viewed 3085 times ]

Current Build
USS Oregon
USS Iowa (mothballed)

Planned builds
USS Wisconsin
USS New Jersey
USS Alaska
Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:15 pm 

Looking great! Can’t wait to see her in person!!

Matt

1/350 USS Portland CA-33 1942
1/350 Trumpeter Texas with a twist

Report this post