The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 4:52 pm 

Just commissioned!

The kit is labeled as 1915 Warspite but seems identical to the 1918 Queen Elizabeth offering.

I tried to replicate, without too much research, the 'as built' configuration of Warspite. The Anatomy of the Ship book (I have an older copy) focuses primarily on the WWII config and only has a few line drawings of how she looked towards the end of the first war. The rig and mast configuration was modified significantly either just before or just after Jutland it seems. Class experts please weigh in, as I am curious.

I neglected to add the spars for the signal flags but I did replace both topmasts with piano wire and added a very basic radio setup.

All in all it was a rather fun build of a handsome ship - I've always preferred the QEs in their earliest configurations. Too bad they don't make one in 1/350.

I found this to be a good challenge and excellent practice for someone like me who until recently built only larger scales.

Photoetch was generic and I used ladder to similate windows around the main tower top. Piano wire was also used to replace the jackstaff and ensign staff. I used stretched sprue for funnel stays and crane and fine silk thread for the remainder of the rig. White printer paper cut very finely provided the retaining straps for the two boats on davits.

I thought of Jutland when I placed the answering pennant on the halyard. Figured she was responding to some signal.

At odds with a Jutland config are the ships steam launches - in peacetime finery. Those were probably the most difficult part of the build for me. I copied them from a book on Norman Ough - there was a color spread of a QE BB model during the 1920s with boats of these colors. Hull color was either black or very dark blue, which I used.

It's a nice kit and not too many parts for a battleship. I think the topmasts are too weak to use, but otherwise it was perfect for my needs. If you like this sort of ship and can find one at a good price, be sure to grab one.

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 6:51 am 

The kit lacks some details so your execution is especially nice. Well done, you dont often see this ship modeled so its cool to take it all in here.

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 12:40 am 

pascalemod wrote:
The kit lacks some details so your execution is especially nice. Well done, you dont often see this ship modeled so its cool to take it all in here.

Thank you!

New to working seriously in the scale.

Quite a climb down from 1/200!

I'm looking forward to more progress on your Duke of York. I've got a brace of PoW kits to play with down the road, always fun to see what someone else does with them. I am also glad you are doing the DoY, not many of those floating around. :big_grin:

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 1:15 pm 

Strategos Augustus wrote:
pascalemod wrote:

Thank you!

New to working seriously in the scale.

Quite a climb down from 1/200!

I'm looking forward to more progress on your Duke of York. I've got a brace of PoW kits to play with down the road, always fun to see what someone else does with them. I am also glad you are doing the DoY, not many of those floating around. :big_grin:

Thanks! Yes, DoY is slowly going. Doing the portholes now . or rather redoing... nightmare! :)

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:12 am 

Really nice model! :thumbs_up_1:

http://www.youtube.com/user/ThomasEJohnson

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:34 pm 

pascalemod wrote:
Thanks! Yes, DoY is slowly going. Doing the portholes now . or rather redoing... nightmare! :)

Redoing? Giving them eyebrows?

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:35 pm 

Thomas E. Johnson wrote:
Really nice model! :thumbs_up_1:

Thank you sir!

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:25 am 

Strategos Augustus wrote:
pascalemod wrote:

Redoing? Giving them eyebrows?

No eyebrows but I bought some stick on things from PE and Im not sure its a good approach also, as they, well, stick out over the hull. you have to drill a hole, then drill a bigger hole half way it to "sink" the porthole. Its a mess. :)

On your Warspite - it inspired me to order one. What PE would you recommend for it? Seems you took generic ladders and railings approach? I have RA Burts book for references on British battleships of WW1. You think more guides needed?

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:21 pm 

pascalemod wrote:
No eyebrows but I bought some stick on things from PE and Im not sure its a good approach also, as they, well, stick out over the hull. you have to drill a hole, then drill a bigger hole half way it to "sink" the porthole. Its a mess. :)

On your Warspite - it inspired me to order one. What PE would you recommend for it? Seems you took generic ladders and railings approach? I have RA Burts book for references on British battleships of WW1. You think more guides needed?

Well I salute you for trying to improve the portholes. It's something I've not bothered with before. Although with a scratchbuilt project coming up I may have to come up with some methods of my own.

So the Warspite kit has a couple issues: the masts are very delicate and there are no main yardarms. I omitted the later and it just doesn't quite look right to me.

In terms of aftermarket I went with two gauges of piano wire and a sheet of generic railing and ladders. There are no ladders molded on the kit and so I had no stairs. The real ship had them in various places but my documentation was not clear on where. White Ensign Models makes photoetch sheets specific to Warspite 1915 and QE 1918 but they are kind of hard to find. I also prefer save my aftermarket money for larger scale models since I have an embarrassing number of 1/350 kits on hand that need PE.

I only used the anatomy of a ship Warspite book which lacks content on the ship as she was commissioned. They have plenty of pictures and drawings of how she looked at armistice but not as commissioned.

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:47 pm 

great work :thumbs_up_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:01 pm 

Excellent rendition. Looks like a 1/350!

Cheers, Jabb

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure.

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:06 pm 

Thanks for that Shameless plug from the "upcoming ship kit" thread.

This a beautiful replica of the ship. Great work on the rigging and dyn-O-mite weathering. And, as already mentioned, makes it look like 1/350.

Good job on the research too.

Nino.

Report this post