The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 183 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:58 am 

And some step by step stuff!

Only a blue filter and a dark grey wash applied. The antiskid pads were painted with a dark grey wash enamel. Building it up in few layers.

Next is to paint those small lines and dots with oils.

Then blend them in with a wide brush. Just moisten the brush a little with white spirit. You don't want to drown the surface.

Then the rest of the deck same treatment.

Another way of applying pigments! Get some white spirit into a mixer, pour in some pigments. I used dust and slate gray mixed in a bit. Thin to consistency of milk.
Used a really fine brush to paint the pigments on to the surface. Used reference as a guide.

Doesn't look too good yet! Take a big fluffier brush, get just a bit of dust pigments into it and start gently tapping the surface and moving the pigments on the surface as desired.
Make sure the brush is free of thinner and it's completly dry!

Next to make some marks with a brown wash thinned down super thin!
This is to simulate older dirt build ups that have dried already.
You can control this effect after application, just wait it to dry then use a big fluffy brush gently on top of the dry marks to get them off if needed.

Then more brown wash not so thin and more concentrated.

Then finishing with wet effects for even some fuel spillage!

There's some basic ideas! I'll prolly come back to add more little details when adding deck equipment etc.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:24 am 

Very well done!!! Wow, excellent tutorial. I look forward to more!

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:11 pm 

That looks excellent! Great job! :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:
The flight deck especially is a very grateful subject for weathering.

Cheers,

Marijn

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:18 pm 

Cheers guys!

The midship deck is gonna get everything but the kitchen sink thrown at it. Or maybe even the sink!

All photos suggest the rust and dirt builds up there a lot. Kinda understandable as the water don't reach it so easily as the superstructure is blocking it.
Only the decks with the Mk 38s , nulkas and chaffs tend to stay cleaner.

Also did some rust streak work on the hull might post some shots later tonight!

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:40 pm 

What a rusty bucket!

So, the basic for rust streaks were as follow.

I used two oil colors, burnt umber and burnt sienna. Prolly the two best colors for this stuff!
First just a hint of burnt umber is used to create a subtle mark of dirt/rust. This will run down to the waterline. Also it's a bit more wider than the actual rust streaks.
After this small amount of burnt sienna is dotted where you want the rust to begin. Then using a flat brush with just a hint of thinner to start streaking it down.

Once again reference was used. Here you can see a comparison.

More will be still added. Also letting the first ones to dry first so you can create a bit of layering.

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:59 pm 

You know, I cannot tell the real photo and your model apart! :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:

Aop

--1/350 scratch-build HMS Lion never built battleship (1938)

And our artworks!

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:25 am 

Aop Aur wrote:
You know, I cannot tell the real photo and your model apart! :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:

Aop

What's wrong with you? Can't you see it's even missing all the funnels!!! :big_grin:

So, port side hull is nearing it's completion. Rest of the rust & dirt streaks added. After this the space in between got some fine lines of light grey mixed out of oils and they were blended in.
I used the "wrong" draft marks and they behaved much better than the "right" ones.

You can also start to see how all the pieces are coming together! Even though the project seem to be nearing the end, there's still so much to do!
I was aiming for the new years eve but I guess I need to give a few more weeks. Anyway enjoy some more photos!

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:28 pm 

Nice work, really loving it. It it possible to post some really close up shots of your detail /weathering? Keep up the good work

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:35 pm 

silvershadow wrote:
Nice work, really loving it. It it possible to post some really close up shots of your detail /weathering? Keep up the good work

Yes sure, just let me know what you want in particular?

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:38 pm 

WOW! Absolutely stunning :worship_1:

Current projects:
1/700 USS Catamount 1960
1/350 USS Columbia 1945
1/350 USS San Francisco 1944

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:18 pm 

I dont mind, any very close up shots will do, im viewing this from my phone and if i zoom in on the overall shots its becomes blurry. I know i should view this on my pc instead but its up to you.

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:38 pm 

silvershadow wrote:
I dont mind, any very close up shots will do, im viewing this from my phone and if i zoom in on the overall shots its becomes blurry. I know i should view this on my pc instead but its up to you.

Well, the photos are in high quality, but because of the website you can't post them in full quality so I have to use thumbnails. You just need to click them and then open the photo when in imgur to get it in full resolution.
All the photos are really high quality so you shouldn't have any problems!

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:02 pm 

And going on with the middle decks!

The lower deck got a black wash, still diluted a lot, but let it flow and build up. This time black because I want to darken the deck a lot more.

After that brown wash. Focus on edges and around deck equipment.

Then once again made a wash out of pigments. I used rubble dust diluted to milk consistency with white spirit then brushed on.

This time the big brush is dippened in thinner and then brushed on and the pigments are spread around. Add some darker brown pigments to the mix. Let dry.

Last touch light dust is applied dry with a brush to give some highlights.

Last step after all the equipment is on a light brown wash around them to tie them down to the deck.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:03 am 

Both the hull sides and deck look amazing! Very close to the photo's of the real thing!
:thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:

By the way, there seem to be a lot of small holes in the side of the hull. What are they?

Cheers,

Marijn

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:30 pm 

marijn van gils wrote:
Both the hull sides and deck look amazing! Very close to the photo's of the real thing!
:thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:

By the way, there seem to be a lot of small holes in the side of the hull. What are they?

Cheers,

Marijn

Various bilge pumps etc. I haven't the slightest idea what all of them are I just do what I see! :big_grin:

This is why I like to do modern builds as the reference is so great so not much guess work is needed.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:50 pm 

And some new treat!

Started to work on the front face!

First was a dark gray wash on all the decks and details. After this a bit of light grey oils were dapped and streak on the superstructure face to create more depth. This was once again blended with a brush and thinner.
I only had freehand airbrushed the white on to the AN/SPY panels so to get them more defined I applied a bit of white oils on it and started to blend them in making it more defined from the grey.

For the superstructure decks 1st a black wash was applied. After this true and tested pigment mix with whitespirit. After drying once again dapped with a soft brush.
Next was to give a burnt sienna light wash to the edges were the deck meet the superstructure walls. After this dried a bit of dust pigments applied dry with a brush to create tonal variation and overall dust.

Some firehose details were also added. They were placed on a tape and airbrushed vallejos bright orange gloss. After this a light dark wash to give definition and Tamiya flat red for the holder clip.
After they were glued into their place a light touch of dark gray wash to tie them in to the rest of the model.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:55 am 

I think I just keep on repeating myself, but splendid work and thx to let us peek over the shoulder. It comes along nicely with these color accents.

A merry Christmas and a happy 2018 to you, and all others here...

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:46 am 

Very nicely done!

Can you elaborate on how you made the worn out anti fouling bits? Where it is to the bare metal ? It looks very good and I want some of that effect on my ships too. I think you nailed this btw, rarely have I seen such perfect hull weathering and if mine are half as good im a happy man.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:39 am 

pascalemod wrote:
Very nicely done!

Can you elaborate on how you made the worn out anti fouling bits? Where it is to the bare metal ? It looks very good and I want some of that effect on my ships too. I think you nailed this btw, rarely have I seen such perfect hull weathering and if mine are half as good im a happy man.

Hey, I'm not exactly what you meant but if you check page 2 and 3 I have step by step photos and explanations on what I did on the lower hull parts. Hope it helps!

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:52 am 
Model Monkey
Model Monkey

Stunning! :big_grin:

-Steve L.

Complete catalog: - https://www.model-monkey.com/
Follow Model Monkey® on Facebook: - https://www.facebook.com/modelmonkeybookandhobby

Report this post
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 183 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next