The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:59 am 

I have finished this ship some time ago but only now I am presenting it to You.

There are no new photos (I just want to close the story) apart from last where You can find a model in the case which is standing in my office, at work.

Completed Models:
HMS Dreadnought 1/350
USS Missouri 1/200

Work in progress:
U-Boat U-552 1/48
USS Arizona 1/200

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:10 am 

One word:

WOW!!!!!

:thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:

http://www.youtube.com/user/ThomasEJohnson

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:38 pm 

Dang! That's a terrific looking ship right there! Very impressed with your work and it was fun seeing you put it all together!

Nice job!

Current Build
USS Oregon
USS Iowa (mothballed)

Planned builds
USS Wisconsin
USS New Jersey
USS Alaska

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:51 pm 

Hi Wojtek,

Your completed ship is a thing of beauty! I am in awe of the way it turned out and the time and effort you put into it. Isn't it a shame that people will never notice all the tiny little details that went into the building of this masterpiece? You are to be commended on your efforts and you have every right to be proud of your accomplishment.

I can't begin to tell you how many times I've gone back to your build thread and studied your pictures. I too, have both of the Pontos detail sets as well as most of the Eduard sets for this beast, and I'm trying my best to make my ship look halfway as good as yours. In some areas, I think I'm succeeding, but in others my "fat-fingeredness" is readily evident. I just finished all 10 of the 5" gun platforms and can now paint the final 5. I am using back primer because I like the way it darkens the grey.

Now that you can relax a bit, I do have a couple questions for you, if you don't mind.

1) At one point I - and I guess I still am, contemplating removing the cast-on steam pipes on the funnels and making my own out of brass. For some reason the cast-on ones look fake. You, however, have managed to make them look quite realistic. Early on, I asked how you did it and you mentioned you used panel liner. I may try this to see is I can make my pipes stand out like yours. Is it hard to do?

2) By looking at Stefan Draminski's book as well as plans from the Floating Drydock, I'm not sure there are enough fire valves to complete the ship. Did you run out and if so, what did you do?

3) What did you do for loudspeakers throughout the ship. The ones that come with the Pontos Advanced Detail kit are really poor and don't even look like loudspeakers. I talked to Model Monkey about making some and he said they are too small. Any ideas?

4) I LOVE your case! It's so clean and neat looking. Who built it and how did they join the corners together?

OK, that's all I have. Once again, congratulations on a magnificent masterpiece. It's beautiful!

Completed: 1:200 USS Missouri (Monster Mo)
Next project: Definitely NOT another big ship!!

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:18 am 

Thomas, Itchigroin, Steinerman - Thank You for such nice words! I love this ship and it makes a great impression at people who are entering my office at work! :cool_1:

And now some answers for Steinerman:

1. Panel Liner from Tamiya is great to make shadows. Modellers mostly use them in airplane builds but I have learned to use it for different purposes. I have 3 different collors: black (ths one I used for making shadows), dark brown and light browns. If You just touch their brush in recess place it will spread all over the recess. Then You just correct it with dissolvent and it is done!

2. I had the same problem too at the begining. As it shows there was enough of them even according to the book You just mentioned.

3. As far, as I remember I resigned from placing the loudspeakers at the ship. I have been fitting them but the result was not making me happy...

4. Case is made of bent PVC joined with bolts (great industrial effect). You should look for company near Your location which produces marketing cases, stands, etc. They might be willing to make one for Your order. I am affraid that You will not find those in the shop, at least I couldn't.

Completed Models:
HMS Dreadnought 1/350
USS Missouri 1/200

Work in progress:
U-Boat U-552 1/48
USS Arizona 1/200

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:54 am 
Model Monkey
Model Monkey

:big_grin: :big_grin: :big_grin:

Twój modelowy statek jest piękny. Jest bardzo dobrze zrobione.

Masz też ładne biuro.

-Steve L.

Complete catalog: - https://www.model-monkey.com/
Follow Model Monkey® on Facebook: - https://www.facebook.com/modelmonkeybookandhobby

Report this post