The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:17 am 

Here's my out-of-the-box build of the Chinese PLA Navy destroyer "Lanzhou" from the S-model styrene kit. Though a PE set was provided, I decided not to use it, and used styrene strips to replace PE or damaged/lost parts, such as the jackstaff.

I took photos of the model alongside my previous builds of the carrier Liaoning and the Japanese destroyer Kongo for comparison purposes.

"You have enemies? Good. It means you stood up for something in your life."- Winston Churchill

Last edited by Haijun watcher on Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:37 am 

I've been eyeing this kit as it may go well with the Sphryna/Flyhawk PLAN 055. Do you think the detail is consistent between S-Model and Flyhawk? I've bought all the S-Model Beiyang Fleet models and am impressed with their detail (and inclusion of PE and brass). What is your impression of this model - did you like it's detail - is it authentic and complete - did it go together well - any problems whatsoever?
:wave_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:45 pm 

drasticplastic wrote:
I've been eyeing this kit as it may go well with the Sphryna/Flyhawk PLAN 055. Do you think the detail is consistent between S-Model and Flyhawk? I've bought all the S-Model Beiyang Fleet models and am impressed with their detail (and inclusion of PE and brass). What is your impression of this model - did you like it's detail - is it authentic and complete - did it go together well - any problems whatsoever?

My impression of the model is that it is complete and seems accurate for me, though I would have preferred more decal options that would have allowed me to use decals for other members of the class, as opposed to just the class leader Lanzhou. As I said it includes a PE set including railings, but I didn't use it for this build.

Other than that, I'm sorry I don't have a point of reference to compare as I don't have a Flyhawk kit. This is only my first S-model kit.

"You have enemies? Good. It means you stood up for something in your life."- Winston Churchill

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:00 pm 

Looks nice, a nice looking ship too. Is that the Trumpeter Type 001 btw? Looks nicely done, what I was asking myself are these lines decals or painted?

Kind regards

Gerco

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:00 pm 

Thanks! Sounds good to me. As a matter of interest, apart from the railings, what else is included on the PE fret? Unfortunately, the Sphryna Type 055 includes no PE at all.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:48 pm 

IJNfan wrote:
Is that the Trumpeter Type 001 btw?
Kind regards

Gerco

It's my build of the Chinese carrier Liaoning. The deck markings are decals.

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:52 am 

drasticplastic wrote:
Thanks! Sounds good to me. As a matter of interest, apart from the railings, what else is included on the PE fret? Unfortunately, the Sphryna Type 055 includes no PE at all.

Hello Drastic,

Sorry for the late reply to this post. Yes, the PE set did come with the kit and here's a picture of it below beside the PE section instructions. As you can see it includes more than just railings:

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:17 am 

That's good! - measured railings. Seems to have a lot of common components to the 055 class. That should make it easier sourcing appropriate PE for the 055. I ordered the S-Model 52C from China shortly after my last reply so all I have to do now is wait...and wait!

Report this post