The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lindberg 1/125 LCT-592
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:21 pm 

This is the Lindberg 1/125 scale LCT/LCU converted to depict Mark 6 LCT-592 that successfully landed its four Sherman DD tanks (onto the shore) at Utah Beach (Tare Green) on June 6, 1944. LCT-592 was built by the Pidgeon-Thomas Ironworks in Memphis, TN. The assembly and launching site was near the present day Bass Pro/Pyramid.

Conversion began by shortening the hull by approximately 3/4" and modifying the forecastle to the shape and length of the Mk. 6's. Only kit parts remaining are a few miscellaneous vents, modified dinghy, and the widened bow ramp. All of the superstructures, conning tower, gun tubs, winch, anchor, bulkheads, rafts, railings, and mast scratchbuilt. 20mm Oerlikons, 20mm Ready Service Lockers, life rings, figures, and jerry cans from Shapeways 3d printing. Walkway decking from Gold Medal Models N scale industrial walkways. Fuel port fittings from HO scale brass pipe fittings.
Display base painted using a stencil for 45 Caliber ammo crates. I thought it was appropriate since these boats became supply and troop transports for the rest of the invasion while the Mulberry Harbors were constructed and continued their ferrying role after the storms that destroyed or damaged the artificial harbors. Risers are 45 caliber shell casings provided by a co-worker.

In progress photos can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=59&t=167303

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:03 am 

:thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: Stunning job You did !!

Hard to believe that those poorly detailed Lindberg Models can be finished in this piece of art,well done my friend and thanks for posting ,this will be my inspiration with the new Black Cat LCT that is coming in 1/350 scale.
:wave_1:

3.- Don't build it

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:10 am 

Thanks Miguel. I'm thinking of ordering the 1/144 scale 83' Coast Guard Cutter from Black Cat. I'd like to see a review first, but the kit looks very interesting.

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:57 am 

Very impressed with the level of detail worked in to this at 1/125th. Did you use the Floating Drydock plans as the basis for this?

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:39 pm 

Thanks Francis. Yes, i relied heavily on the Floating Dry Dock plans. Ordered the modeler variety (forgot what he calls them) that has a overhead and starboard side drawing and also the Bureau of Ships hull drawings. The later was good for layouts, dimensions, door dimensions and sill heights, and contained several notes regarding variations in production. The Dry Dock is a great resource for all of us!

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:42 pm 
Nice work!

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:52 pm 
Model Monkey
Model Monkey

:big_grin:

Attachments:
j0j903N.jpg
j0j903N.jpg [ 32.17 KiB | Viewed 4795 times ]

-Steve L.

Complete catalog: - https://www.model-monkey.com/
Follow Model Monkey® on Facebook: - https://www.facebook.com/modelmonkeybookandhobby
Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:13 pm 

Thank you for the comments! Forgot that the back half of the deck of the LCT?LCU kit had to be cut off and a flat deck constructed. The Lindberg kit has a large step for the superstructure across the entire width of the hull and about 1/4 of it's length.

Steve-thanks for the great ready service lockers and life rings. Looking forward to trying out your new printing material.

Dave

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:37 am 

:thumbs_up_1: Great Work! :thumbs_up_1:

Scott

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:56 pm 

Thank you Scott!

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:33 am 

Nice job on the model and base as well.

1/96 12cm pre-Dreadnaught deck gun
1/124 CS Privateer 'Beauregard'
1/124 CS Blockade Runners Pevensey & Ella Warley
1/192 scale whaler PEQUOD

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:04 pm 

Thanks Story! Have been following along some of your builds as well. Any updates on the Rum Runners?

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:14 pm 

Outstanding work Dave! I found this post while doing research on modeling a LCF. When I found this forum I immediately joined. I mostly build nascar race cars (I'm also a member of Randy Ayers Nascar Model Forum.) I occasionally build military models and enjoy the change of pace from race cars.

I'm wanting to build a LCF (Landing Craft Flak) from D-Day using the same Lindberg kit you used. Don't really know what I'm getting into since I haven't built a ship in years. Any help from you or anyone that would help me get started with this project would be greatly appreciated! I'm in no hurry on this project. It may take months of more research before I have everything I need. Really just need the basics on just what I will need as far as kit(s), aftermarket parts, etc. I'll probably be asking more detailed questions as I get further into this build.

Why a LCF? My great uncle SM1c Thomas L. Spidle (my maternal grandmother's baby brother) was killed in action serving on LCF-31 on D-Day. Can't think of a better project to get back into ship model building. Thanks all!

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:49 pm 

LCF-31,
Thanks for the comments. In all my research that I did for my LCT, I have to admit that I missed the conversion to the LCF. Wow, those were impressive! It looks like it is modified from a Mark 5 LCT, which did not have the drive through deck like the Mk. 6 that I built. It might actually be easier to build a Mark 5 from the Lindberg kit rather than a Mark 6, but I don't have any plan sheets to compare the Mark 5 and the LCF. I'll be happy to provide any sources or items that I used for your project.

Good luck and it looks like it will be a very inspirational build!
Dave

PS DavidP -thanks for the link to the LCF photos. Again, I missed those when researching my build for a Mark 6.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:40 pm 

Thanks for the response Dave and DavidP! I have found dozens of photos and articles concerning LCFs but not a lot of close-up, detail photos. I've found a few line drawings but not very useful. I know the LCFs were converted from LCTs and the U.S. Navy got their LCFs back from the RN prior to D-Day. Based on the few photos I've seen, there seems to be some modifications done after the USN received their LCFs back from the RN. Any photos of RN LCFs may not help me with the USN version. Looks like I have a lot more research to do.

I'll post further questions and info on the Amphibious, Transports and Auxiliaries Forum. Thanks again!
Bobby

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:52 am 

Can I ask what prompted you to use 592 as the hull number? The reason I ask is because my dad was a MoMM2 on LCT-592 during the invasion (and then on a different LCT in the invasion of Okinawa in 1945) Do you have a personal connection to it? If so, I probably have some information you’d be interested in.

I have several versions of that Lindberg LCT/LCU kit but I haven’t yet tried to assemble one. I’m not a model builder and I’d probably be challenged just following the basic instructions in the box. What you did is fantastic—a work of art. Thank you for sharing it.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:01 pm 

JEM,
Thank you for the compliments and thank you for your father's service. No, no connection to the 592. Since your not a modeler, I will give you the brief history of how I decided to build the 592 (other modelers will find the story familiar).

I received the LCT/LCU kit from my former brother in law and sister in law many years ago for Christmas. I started looking into the use of LCTs at Normandy at that time and decided that I wanted to model one that landed tanks at Normandy, but didn't find a lot of info at the time (I believe back then I was actually using WebTV). Fast forward many years later and after building a LCI(G) from the Lindberg LCI kit, I decided to dig out the LCT kit and maybe have a go at it. As most modelers do, this entailed purchasing/locating as many reference books as you can find on the subject (normally well in excess of the cost of the initial kit). I found one of the only books specifically about LCTs, "The LCT Story, Victory in Europe Plus the Letters of a Young Ensign", by William Baker. The book mentioned that LCTs were built at Pidgeon-Thomas Ironworks in Memphis, TN-right across the river from my home state and a town that I know pretty well. It also related the story of two young LCT officers that went to Memphis for Navy Day after the war on board their new assignment-a LST. An older gentlemen touring the ship asked them if they knew anyone who had served on LCTs. Turned out the individual was the owner of the Pidgeon-Thomas Ironworks and he was delighted to meet two men who served on his ships and he treated them to the best that Memphis had to show his appreciation to them. I was sold on building an LCT from that company.
I then found out that Pidgeon-Thomas built only the Mark 6 LCTs and then started researching further on-line and in Mr. Baker's book to find which Mark 6s built in Memphis were at Normandy. That in turn led to narrowing the field down to ones that were used to land the DD tanks successfully, which narrowed it down further. I also used the photographs available on Navsource.org to try to find good photos to use as references. Then I stumbled across the oral history of the Officer in Charge of the 592 at Utah Beach at this website : https://oralhistory.rutgers.edu/intervi ... -charles-w and decided that was the ship that I would portray with my model.
A long story, but the journey of many scale modelers in looking for the right ship in history to portray. Would love to see any information that you have on the 592 to include in my displays at upcoming model shows.

David

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 10:49 am 

David — Thanks for the explanation. It’s really fortunate that you found those sources because there are several books and web sites that incorrectly state that the 592 was sunk. LCT(6)-592 was the lead craft in the first wave on Tare Green at Utah. I believe it was the 593 in my dad’s group that hit a mine and sank, losing its tanks and much of the LCT crew and tank crews. (Eventually) I will post a list of other books and sites for reference on LCTs and some more info on the 592 specifically.

I actually have the ship’s log that covers before and after D-Day and a 1928 $2 bill with the crew names and landing info my dad wrote on it, and a couple of photos and other things. I don’t want to post photos of them publicly yet because I am arranging to donate them to the WWII museum and I don’t want them getting out first. When that is settled I can hopefully supply those to you for your display.

Later. ~Jack

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 9:59 pm 

Jack,
Sounds great. Look forward to seeing what ever you would like to share. Hopefully the photos don't contradict any of the assumptions that I made with my 592 model! (It always seems that you find that elusive, detailed photo of the subject AFTER you finished the model.

Will be taking her to Scalefest in Grapevine, TX in a couple of weeks. Wish me luck!

Dave

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:16 pm 

Jack,
Just stumbled across this video that was posted on Critical Past in December. You can order the video or prints. As always, modelers usually find the best photos or resources on their subject AFTER they finish the project!

https://www.criticalpast.com/video/65675069829_invasion-of-Normandy_Landing-Craft-Tank_United-States-troops_laying-mats

Dave

Report this post